"No bootable device found" After completing qubes os install

After completing installation for qubes 4.1 beta, I am greeted with the “no bootable devices found” after reboot.

I’ve had this problem when installing 4.0.4, and I think I got around it by doing another install; but this does not appear to be a viable solution in this case (6th install, same problem).

I noticed docs in the UEFI Troubleshooting page mentioning this error, but I do not see these files, how I am supposed to accomplish those changes.

I’ve tried using the troubleshooting part available for selection with installation boot, and going through it does find my LUKS drive. Decrypting it yields the message of something like “no linux partions available”.

Right bsfore the installation reboot shutdown, it flashes the messages:

Failed to unmount: /run/install/repo Device or resource busy
Could not detach loopback /dev/loop2 Device or resource busy
… etc.

I’ve tried 2 different bootable usb’s for installation.
I only have the one drive atm to target, new one arrives in a week.

Now I am stumped.
Any help solving this issue greatly appreciated.

I’ve encountered this before as well, I booted a different OS from usb, but you could probably use the Qubes Installer rescue mode as well (UEFI troubleshooting | Qubes OS), then just manually find and mount the boot partition. Here’s a copy of the commands I’ve used to get a bootable install: (run as root)

mount /dev/the_partition /mnt/qubes mount the boot partition
cd /mnt/qubes/EFI go to the EFI directory
rm -rf BOOT
mkdir BOOT i just delete and recreate the directory to start clean
cp -r qubes/. BOOT copy all the files
mv BOOT/grub.cfg BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg rename the .cfg file
mv BOOT/grubx64.efi BOOT/BOOTX64.efi rename the .efi file
umount /mnt/qubes unmount the drive

Similar to what’s described in the UEFI Troubleshooting article, this will have to be redone after each dom0 kernel or Xen update, but it works for me.

1 Like

In any situation, if somewhen your bootable device is not found on grub.

Try booting into qubes os installation media and boot into rescue qubes os entry.

Just skip to shell :

Then run efibootmgr -v -c -u -L Qubes OS -l /EFI/qubes/grubx64.efi -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1

-d = where your bootloader device remain.
could be : /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/nvme1n1
-p = which partition.

you can try run lsblk first before running above command.

3 Likes

Thank you both so much for these solutions.

So far no success yet using the recovery tool, trying both solutions. I may need to try the first again on a real os, but I expect it’ll probably do the same. My bios supports UEFI or UEFI+Legacy modes, and I use the latter, not sure if that’s relevent.

Here’s the result:

I will need to learn some more about these errors. Happy to have some place to start troubleshooting again though. Grateful for all help.

from the partition i can see that you are installing with uefi, perhaps you boot qubes os rescue with bios ?

1 Like

Oh thank you for that tip – now it works!
My understanding is:
I was using the UEFI installer, switched boot order to use legacy installer instead.
Just did a fresh install this way.
That’s it, then it just works.

Thank you all for the amazing help and guidance, it has made me so happy to get this running again.
:slight_smile: