Qubes wont boot up following a sucessful install

Hello all :slight_smile:
I know this is a problem that many people have come across as I’ve been reading through answers on here and the internet at large and also trying to make sense of the official Qubes documentation. The truth is I’m not an expert at linux and command line configuration and many of the instructions in solutions I’ve read have just left me with an “ok, so how do I do that?” dead end.

So the problem is I have installed qubes from an image on a usb stick. The installations appears to go without a problem and I’m given the all clear to power down my machine and I should boot into qubes. If I leave the usb stick in when I do this I’m taken straight back to booking from the stick and back to the installation menus. If I remove it the system won’t boot.

Hardware: MSI Z170 A Pro
I belive I have set all the UEFI up as directed on the official website

I think it has something to do with boot partitions or something but it’s all a bit beyond me. Oh I also tried to get into my UEIF boot menu on start up and it doesnt seem that a bootable hard disk partition is there. I used the automatic partitioning settings on the installer as I wasnt sure how to set it up manually.

Adivice very greatfully received

Try to fix your EFI boot entry like this first:

If it won’t help then try to use EFI fallback path:

1 Like

Sorry mistake, i replied to the wrong thread. I did the lsblk command and it spat that out. Im just not sure what the instructions meant and what i should put into the command

Run this command:
efibootmgr -v -c -u -L 'Qubes OS' -l /EFI/qubes/grubx64.efi -d /dev/sda -p 1

Thanks :slight_smile: Sorry some of this shell commands I find a bit difficult.

I ran the command, exited the shell and re booted. Sadly nothing changed and I was returned straigt into UEFI screen again :confused:

I dont undersand this EFI fallback thing you suggested. IS there anything else I could try?

You need to boot into Qubes OS installer and run these commands in shell:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
cp -r /mnt/EFI/qubes/* /mnt/EFI/BOOT/
mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
mv /mnt/EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg /mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg
umount /mnt

No other ideas for now.

I’ll do all that immediately. Thanks for your patience

Shouldn’t it have single quotes around Qubes OS?

That appears to have done it and I’m not booted into Qubes.

I’m most greatful for your time. Many thanks :smiley:

Maybe, now?

Yes, it should be in quotes. But I don’t know if it’ll work or not without them, need to be tested.
I’ll edit the command in my post.

1 Like

Sorry guys the “not” was a typo. I AM booted into qubes and have been playing with it so I guess the quotes werent needed.

Thanks again for all the help :smiley:

1 Like

I marked @apparatus’s post as the solution, please correct if I got it wrong @draylath !