On working installation, dom0 updates render drive not bootable?

I’m not sure whether the following is a Qubes-OS issue, or a hardware/bios issue:

On a Galago Pro - System76 with 11th Gen Intel® Core i7-1165G7 I can install 4.1 (4.0 won’t boot, due to known architecture issues with the 11th gen). I have gone through multiple rounds of installation of 4.1, all successful. HCL looks good. After installing 4.1, shutdown/reboot works just fine, and the installation will boot. Over the past weeks, some of the times that dom0 updates came through, the drive was rendered un-bootable (i.e., the bios didn’t recognize the disk as bootable at all), and the BIOS reports “no bootable disk found” where it was previously functional and booting. Other dom0 updates seemed to have no impact. Naturally, I can’t produce any error logs or do much diagnosis, and the issue appears inconsistent. Any ideas?

do you have any os system installed on same / another drive ?
or have you boot to another os with inter/external drive ?

Nope, just qubes on the primary disk, nothing else, external or internal. No changes from boot-to-boot other than dom0 updates.

I’m wondering whether it’s an instance of this (http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#boot-device-not-recognized-after-installing) but would expect it to have happened at install as well.

it could also be.

While the above link didn’t work verbatim, a similar (simpler) solution "No bootable device found" After completing qubes os install - #2 by EncryptedGiraffe fixed this issue for me.

1 Like