I did not find this model in “System requirements”->“Community-reocmmended computers”, “Hardware compatibility list (HCL)”.
The most important point is I feel my obligation to report the new item in hardware compatibility.
The status of installation is “The installed qube os booted.”, “I managed to install windows11 in a standaloneVM”, “I installed Amazon Kindle for PC in the standaloneVM”, “I downloaded books in Kindle so that I can read books on Kindle.”
Should I run some special program for collecting data for HCL?
Where should I send the data?
The model UX8402ZE is of the year 2022. It is no brand new. But, some people use PC with bundled Windows several years and then install Linux. So, I believe my report can help some people.
After sending the report, I will write what kind of stones I I stumbled on.
to collect the information for the HCL Report – replace AppVM_Name with the name of Qubes where you want to copy the report to .. or remove it, if you just want the report in dom0.
[Edit:
If you have the time, you can also take a look on
and share points that are relevant for your machine.
]
I let dom0 qube to generate HCL-report in untrusted qube and copy-pasted it in a new topic of HCL-report.
I have an out-of-place question: should I make the title of the topic bold by myself?
Thank you for the list of additional points to report.
Many of them applies and many of them wait for verification. I cannot add them in one reply.
The first issue was the installer of Qubes OS unable to remove volumes of the built-in drive.
I describe what I did for the installation.
I burnt the installer of Qubes OS 4.3.1 to a USB-memory by balenaEtcher on macOS. This is my installer-USB. (This was actually done before Qubes OS 4.3.2 was released.) I used gpg of homebrew for verification of the ISO-image before burning the installer. The image was not corrupt.
I made a Recovery USB of the PC, which is the target of installation of Qubes OS.
I plugged in the installer-USB in the target PC.
I used F2-button to call the screen of the settings (resembling BIOS set-up).
I disabled “Secure boot”.
I change the priority of the booting device.
I used F10-button (save and exit) to proceed.
The installer booted from installer-USB.
I chose to verify the media and install USB. (Verification was successful.)
I changed the settings of keyboard. (Initially, symbols were different from what are typed on the keyboard. This change was kept for the succeeding boot. I am curious about this behaviour.)
I chose “btrfs” and “custom” and then automatic configuration for initialization of the built-in drive. (My intension was to keep three partitions which seems to be reserved for recovery tools.) I also chose to encrypt the volume.
I chose to delete the largest volume in the next screen.
I chose to install.
The installer complained something about EFI-volume.
After turning off the PC, I started the PC again.
I rebooted from the installer USB. (I skipped verification of the media.)
This time, I chose to delete EFI-volume, MSR-volume, main-volume (largest volume), chose btrfs and chose automatic configuration.
The installer complained something. I think it was about failure on allocation of disk space.
I repeated the installation procedure, by changing the volume type from btrfs to LUKS.
In these trials, I always chose to encrypt the volume.
I was curious about the initial action of the PC.
I booted the PC again and disabled “Auto-install app service mechanism”. (This seems to be the updating system for OEM-recovery tools.)
I rebooted from the installer-USB.
I tried custom, deleting EFI-volume, MSR-volume and the main volume, then used automatic configuration. I also kept the checkmark of encryption.
Again, the installer complained about the lack of space.
I concluded the installer of Qubes OS 4.3.1 could not initialize the buitlt-in drive.
I booted from the built-in drive and verified windows11 can still boot.
I also verified the role of volumes by using “Disk Management”.
The volumes are “EFI”, “MSR”, “BitLocker”, Main volume in BitLocker format, Microsoft Recovery, OEM Recovery. One last volume of ISO was not visible.
I tried to boot from the installer-USB.
Accidentally, I chose to verify the media and install Qubes OS.
The verification failed. (Later I found a page of Qubes OS Forum, telling Windows write something to every USB. I realized I should have used USB-memory with write-protect notch. I forgot to save the page and I cannot access that page.)
I tried installation but failed again.
I burned the installer of Q4OS on the same USB-memory by balenaEtcher on macOS.
I booted the target PC from the USB with the installer of Q4OS.
I tried to erase just the largest volume of the built-in drive for installation. This did not work.
I accepted erasing the entire built-in drive for installation.
I booted from the built-in drive and verified Q4OS works normally.
I burned the installer of Qubes OS 4.3.2 on the USB-memory, This is again the installer-USB.
I booted from the installer-USB.
I chose to delete all partitions except the ISO-volume. I chose “btrfs”, “encryption” and asked automatic configuration.
The installation was successful.
The initial screen appeared.
I kept the settings (including Debian template on, Fedra template on, Whonix template on…).
Initial set-up completed and the login screen appeared.
I logged in.
I checked the Xfce terminal and browser n work-template.
Whonix template showed some message. (It seems the settings of WIFI was lost in process of the process of installation.
It took very long before whonix gave up.
I often use computers off line. So, I am scared of possible slow start-up due to whonix template. I decided to reinstall qubes os. I decided to test Qubes OS without debian-template and whonix-template.
Two more issues so far are “Official document not mentioning Windows corrupt the USB-memory” and “Whonix template’s too much effort for connection while off-line use”.
This is already very long but I think the expert needs this record. So, I want a break now.
I found the link for the possible reason of failure of verification of the installer-USB
In my case, USB-memory with write-protect notch helps. But, it does not help installation through windows. Installing some sort of linux and burn the installer of Qubes OS in USB-memory and write-protect ing the USB-memory might help a little. But this requires courage.
Thank you, for taking the time to write the details!
I’ve been a Linux user for a long time, so I’ve not tried writing an installation from a Windows machine – I’ve only seen the reports about “unable to verify the media after writing”-posts here .. :-/
From the “Qube Manager”, you can toggle the “Start qube automatically on boot” for the qubes you need every time.
If you know someone who can improve the installer, please tell this thread.
I have overcome several barriers and I also recorded trials. My information should reach the developers. The record is too big for a post and I could not write everything. So, I need have a dialog with experts who participate in creation of the OS.
Yes, it has two monitors, and I can move the cursor to the smaller screen and back.
I also moved xfce4-terminal to the smaller screen and tried ls command. It is OK. I moved the terminal back in the larger screen.
Two monitors are working as dual monitors in the normal sense.
The OS is configured to treat the two monitors aligned at the top edge and the smaller monitor is to the right. This differs from the physical configuration. For me, it is OK.
So, I did not setup anything about the configuration of relation of the two monitors yet.
I plan to use the smaller screen as the panel for buttons.
I checked my record and I found my trials were more complicated.
The first series of trials are documented to have took place on September 02.
I tried initialization in at least two ways:
button custom and then automatic … above the selection of btrfs. This is suggestion rather than automatic.
button automatic.
Then, I booted Windows11 to make sure the built-in drive was not broken.
I tried initialization in at least three ways.
button custom, - key for deleting the largest partition, and then “suggestion” (to make distinction from the button of automatic.
button custom, - key for deleting the largest partition and the partition named “BitLocker” and then “suggestion”
button custom, - key for deleting MSR partition, “BitLocker” partition and the largest partition.
button custom, - key for deleting EFI partition, MSR partition, “BitLocker” partition and the largest partition.
button automatic
After all these trials, Windows11 was not bootable. (Location of “Windows11 bootable” was wrong in my long list.)
I have doubts.
The installer of Qubes OS tries to use the existing EFI-partition. This is a better choice for dual booting windows11.
The installer of Qubes OS gives up installation when it finds the target EFI-partition is encrypted. I understand the idea that the EFI-partition for secure boot should not be altered by any software not handling secure boot. Currently, the built-in drive is not bootable after attempted deletion of partitions including EFI-partition despite the list of partitions remains the same after the error in the installation. The installer is not conservative nor radical, right now.
There are several points
Refusal of modification/deletion of encrypted EFI-partition should be made perfect. Windows not destroyed after refused installation of Qubes OS makes more users feel easy to try installing Qubes OS.
Allowing the installer of Qubes OS to suggest alternative EFI-partition could make Qubes OS more easily installed on PC. (The current target PC seems to support coexistence of two EFI-volumes.) I admit I did not test this idea.
It would be nicer if the documentation of installation of Qubes OS mentions the license number of windows11 on OEM should be verified on windows11 booted by secure boot before booting from the installer of Qubes OS (or more technically, before any attempt is made to initialize the built-in drive.)
Some users, including myself, want an option of the installer of Qubes OS to delete also the encrypted EFI-partition on user’s explicit request.
I am following the check list “Proposal for re-organizing the HCL”.
Keyboard: There could be different built-in keyboards for the same model. (I am unable to check it myself. Please reply this post if somebody knows Zenbook UX8402ZE with keyboards version of US, Korean and so on.) My version is Japanese keyboard. For the first trial of installation, I had problems with symbols. I selected versions of Japanese keyboards one by one. But the trial typing on the screen of choice of keyboard was odd. So, I performed the cycle of chose the keyboard, clicking Done to go back and going to the screen of choice of keyboard. I found the right choice Kana86 after I chose Kana86 and clicked Done and came back to the screen of choice of the keyboard. I suspect I should have changed the order of selected layout of keys. But, I deselected the layouts other than the one chosen. So, we need further test. Another point I was surprised is that the different layouts of Japanese keyboard, including Kana86 is shown Japanese Language (in three Kanji letters) every time I came back to the screen of choice of the keyboard.
Touch-pad: working as expected.
Touch-pad supports “tap as click”: I tried strong tap, double tap. Neither of them does not serve as a click. On the other hand, I experienced some menu items were chosen while I was just moving the cursor.
and scrolling with 2 fingers works: Yes, scrolling works on xfce terminal.
Display brightness change shortcuts: Fn-F4 darkens and FnF5 brightens. They did not work at first. They worked after I hit some key combinations and a message appeared behind the menu of the speaker loudness/microphone. I do not remember the key combination,
Sound volume shortcuts: Fn-F2 lower and Fn-F3 louder.
Keyboard led and keyboard brightness change shortcuts: the built-in keyboard does not have led.
Internet: the internet is working as download of windows11-installer was successful. I also downloaded Amazon Kindle Reader for PC and Kindle books.
Some items are left for further verification.
Bluetooth: I will be back on this issue.
External USB mouse [if possible to check]: I will be back on this issue
Output of xinput --list from terminal of dom0: bash says it does not find the command xinput.
Check if keyboard and/or touchpad is PS/2 connected (how to check): I do not know how to check this: I will be back on this issue.
Here is the output of lsusb I hope this helps distinguishing ps/usb connections of the built-in keyboard and the built-in tablet.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID id6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0627:0001 Adomax Technology Co., Ltd QEMU Tablet
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 13d3:5497 IMC Networks USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 8087:0033 Intel Corp. AX211 Bluetooth
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
I do not know if the QEMU tablet is the touchpad or not.
I see WebCam.
I do not see the keyboard.
I also the external USB mouse.
The dialog appears on connection of the external USB-mouse.
source: sys-usb
target: Dom0
I clicked OK.
The output of lsusb got one more line.
Bus 004 Device 006: ID 093a:2521 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
The mouse cursor moves smoothly by the external mouse.
I could not copy-paste the output from sys-usb to untrusted.
I am trying USB-Symbol on the menu-bar->Bluetooth: .. AX211 Bluetooth->Attach to sys-net
The bluetooth-symbol appeared between the battery-symbol and Network-symbol.
None of blueman-adapters, blueman-applet, blueman-manager works.
blueman-services opens a window. I need to know what NAS Support is for proceeding further. (I chose Blueman (dhclient) and Blueman, the Apply-button is dimmed.