13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1360P
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:a707]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:a7a0] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1.2
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    6.3.9-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK
---

QubesOS Version

dom0 Kernel

6.1.35-1.fc32

Remarks

• Requires disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS
  • Requires setting time and date in BIOS to match UTC/GMT

If there is something missing from the section below, it is assumed to be working:

State During and Immediately After Installation

• Screen tearing/slow display refresh rate (depends on how “busy” the window manager is) (see fix below)
  • Brightness hotkeys not working (see temporary workaround below)
  • Suspend/resume completely broken (does not come back from apparent low-power state and must be power-cycled) (see fix below)
  • Terrible battery life (4 hours, doing light tasks)

Known Fixes

The following has been tested on a new installation, with the commands being run exactly as shown:

SSL Issues

• Set BIOS time and date to match UTC/GMT

Screen tearing

From dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update
sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest

Suspend / Resume

From dom0 - feel free to use nano, if preferred:

sudo vim /etc/default/grub
  • Add mem_sleep_default=deep to the file, at the bottom, as in this example (the args are space-separated):

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=false
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="gfxterm"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.luks.uuid=luks-6868706d-c28d-4871-9cd4-03b156ca9a4f rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/swap plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles rd.driver.pre=btrfs rhgb quiet"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/qubes/theme.txt"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="console=none dom0_mem=min:1024M dom0_mem=max:4096M ucode=scan smt=off gnttab_max_frames=2048 gnttab_max_maptrack_frames=4096"
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX rd.qubes.hide_all_usb mem_sleep_default=deep"

• Apply the GRUB config changes (from dom0):

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg
sudo dracut -f
  • Reboot
  • Verify the arg shows up and is applied (from dom0):
sudo cat /etc/default/grub
placeholder root=/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root ro rd.luks.uuid=luks-39f8de13-ee6d-46fb-9f15-975f32c850c8 rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/root rd.lvm.lv=qubes_dom0/swap plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles rd.driver.pre=btrfs rhgb quiet rd.qubes.hide_all_usb mem_sleep_default=deep
  • Done

Attachments

Qubes-HCL-Framework-Laptop__13th_Gen_Intel_Core_-20230725-122922.yml is pasted above.

Next Steps

If something is in this section, it means the steps did not work.

Fix Poor Battery Life Performance

Steps Taken

None, yet.

Fix Brightness Hotkeys

Steps Taken

From dom0:

sudo qubes-dom-0-update brightnessctl

The following commands can be mapped to change brightness (from dom0):

brightnessctl set +5%
brightnessctl set 5%-
XFCE

With this knowledge, in XFCE, in System Tools => Settings Manager => Application Shortcuts, the above commands can be Add ed. However, the brightness hotkeys still are not recognized (even after toggling Handle display brightness keys in Power Manager). So, I just use F8 and F7, respectively for now.

8 Likes

Great that you describe solutions to the issue you have. Thanks.

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'Notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  '2.0'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  Framework
model: |
  Laptop (13th Gen Intel Core)
bios: |
cpu: |
  13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1340P
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:a707]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Raptor Lake-P [Iris Xe Graphics] [8086:a7a0] (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz [8086:2725] (rev 1a)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
  'no'
versions:
  - works:
      'yes'
    qubes: |
      4.2.0-alpha
    xen: |
    kernel: |
      6.3.2-1
    remark: |
      FIXME
    credit: |
      b34
    link: |
      FIXLINK

Similar results for Qubes 4.2rc1.

Remarks:

• Installation with latest kernel goes completely smooth - no screen issues.
  • Had to disable secure boot in BIOS.
  • Camera also works.
  • Battery life appears to be poor as @singlerider reported.
  • Same issue with brightness keys as @singlerider reported.

Small modification to fix sleep (thanks to @idempotent:

1. `sudo nano /etc/default/grub` in dom0
2. Add `mem_sleep_default=deep` to the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
3. Run `sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /book/grub2/grub.cfg`

I have not been able to get an external screen to work with the Framework HDMI module. See https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/usb-external-display-framework-laptop/20068.

2 Likes

The last time I tested 4.2rc1 (on another laptop), the machine would hard lock randomly, all the time, sometimes even on the hard disk decryption screen. I’m intentionally avoiding it, as the new features are not compelling enough to risk that experience, again.

Thank you for the update!
I haven’t encountered any problems yet, but I will update if I experience the same issues.
I did run into issues when I tried to install it without the latest kernel option immediately in the installation, but I didn’t investigate.

Thanks for this. Very helpful!

Solved!

For some reason, I can’t edit my original post, anymore. But, if you want your Framework running perfectly, simply follow the instructions above, using the following grub configuration (this is the last line in my post above:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX rd.qubes.hide_all_usb mem_sleep_default=deep module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub nvme.noacpi=1"

Note the addition of module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub (for brightness keys) and nvme.noacpi=1 (for better efficiency of power for NVME drives).

Thank you @singlerider for your HCL report, which is online now!

Thank you @b34 for your HCL report, which is online now!

How did you checked the difference? How did you know you have a problem with NVMe in the first place?

1 Like

I just posted up a sort of guide for Framework Laptop users specifically on setting up and tweaking certain aspects of Qubes that I have needed to in order to get everything working exactly I desired. Hopefully it will be helpful to everyone. I am using an 11th gen Framework, but the hardware is nearly the same as the latest versions, so it should still be quite relevant. I will probably make a post about it as well separately to see if there might be a place to put general guides like that.

How many USB controllers do you have? What devices and physical USB connectors do they belong?

What happens is you connect USB controller to some wrong qube (that does not redirect input to dom0), will keyboard and mouse still work like in case of PS/2 keyboard/mouse?

Thanks for this helpful guide. I followed the instructions (with different grub.cfg path for 4.2) and have suspend and resume working and brightness keys.

I did notice that my ethernet card stopped working after suspend/resume. This happen to anyone else? I haven’t had time to debug yet but will report back once I do.

Hi,

A few updates. I used the HDMI expansion card and it worked fine with no issues. The ethernet expansion card is still not working after suspend/resume. Anyone have suggestions on how I can diagnose this? I suspect that it might not be specific to the framework laptop and be an issue with usb ethernet adapters more generally - but that is just a suspicion. I’m using 4.2-RC3.

Thanks.

I have not been able to install 4.2.0 RC3 nor RC4 (rc1 worked fine) on a Framework 13th Gen.
I get an error message during the installation that sys-net can’t start, and then when I try to use Qubes after the installation, no appVM works (other than dom0). They all fail with
The libxl-driver log says: stubdom_xswait_cb: domain 5: stubdom 6 for 5 startup: startup timed out.

I’ve experienced regression as well - though I can’t tell if it was simply the result of updating or if I messed something up. Right now my wifi and ethernet don’t work. Planning to do try a clean install once RC5 is out.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Framework Laptop 13th gen Intel i7-1370P

@singlerider
Thank you for HCL and additional information. Can you please fill the detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.