USB issues... Devices sometimes show up with reboots.. What can i do? Also, password login sometimes gets stuck or black screen when logging in

I prefer not to. :wink:
No usb keyboard… It works sometime…

The problem you are describing seems to be connected to your hardware indeed. You could search some information about your laptop model on the forum – maybe there are some relevant tips already.

Also, do you have any related errors in journalctl in dom0?

Yeah… It’s the hardware…
I don’t know how to check that… journalctl did not show any usb issues when i typed it in dom0 of what i “could see” though. With my limited knowledge. Thanks

You can try
journalctl -f
which will follow every new error. Then try to trigger (or wait for) your problem and look what happens. Or you can try
journalctl -rp warning
to list all important mesages with reverse order. More info: journalctl Command in Linux with Examples - GeeksforGeeks.

I’ve experienced some of this funny business in the past myself …

Are you logging into the GUI session immediately upon being presented the login screen? One thing you can try is to wait something like 30(?) seconds before logging into the GUI session and see if you still have the weirdness going on.

If devices show up as expected, I’d wager to say that this the result of some race condition with sys-usb. You can play around with memory settings and other bits but, this is likely stemming from the use of the bloated “full” template as opposed to a minimal template for sys-usb. I’m fully aware that there is no other option available during initial initial and, would love to see minimal templates included in the official ISO in the future as, I see so many issues posted that are easily remedied by leveraging minimal templates for service qubes. Not to mention that the default use of the “full” templates is unnecessarily glowie IMO.

It may seem like a bit much and, may not work straight away but, you can find some steps to rebuild sys-usb with a minimal template here. Read it over a couple times to understand the flow/logic as, the steps were offered from memory and, there might be a feeling of frustrated disappointment if things don’t work out immediately but, rebuilding service qubes based on minimal templates ought to alleviate many issues/problems/errors. YMMV

1 Like

Thanks…
I had this wierd setting in sys-usb… “provide network”. I turned that off… Don’t want network there.
And i tried putting the ram higher just now… i can see what happens…

Yeah dude i would say you are right about that…
I have had some issues with getting my vpn to work and that must be a race condition and cubes “competing” and booting up slow on some machines… I just tried restarting the vpn and another and i got internet… I’m gonna try playing around with the sys-usb… I can’t reboot every time to get internet or usb to work… So yeah… Internet is fixed now while just manually rebooting two cubes.
Not sure yet how i’m gonna fix it. :wink:
Good i just found a solution to getting internet though… Without rebooting everything. Nice.
I tried shutting down sys-usb, but nah… No success yet. :wink:
Still my system is slowly getting better now… Just trying and playing around…
Experimental right. :wink: Cheers

Yeah i get this issue…

internal error: Unable to reset PCI device [...]  no FLR, PM reset or bus reset available.
What do i do?
Thanks

edit: found it here
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-troubleshooting/

Yeah, so what do i do about it?
1 Like

I need to fix this… I can sometimes use the nitrokey if i just leave the slow booting… How do i step-by-step get nitrokey to show up everytime i boot? I need to restart to even have it showing up and such… And that don’t really worl for me even though i love qubes as an OS… Gotta fix my system. how?
Is it a race condition? I am using an disp usb cube now… would a normal usb cube work better? What is the issue here and how do i step by step solve this? Commands and such… thanks allot! Happy new year btw out there…
Some of you qubes experts could maybe help out… Is it a race condition? It works sometimes and sometimes not… generic usb shows up sometimes and sometimes not… why, and how do i fix it?

One usb device showed up from another usb port just now… but both works… seems like they might be shifting or something sometimes… i don’t know…
Don’t know how to troubleshoot this or find the best solution either… sometimes starting sys-usb works, and sometimes not…

Ok! Now i’m gonna try to explain my issues… This is driving me crazy.
But i want to run qubes… Just want to get it to work. Otherwise i will use another OS that suits my needs better at the moment with the technical issues i’m having with this slow laptop…
But yeah…
I have been restarting the machine for 2 hours now just to get an USB working and i don’t have time, or patience for this now… Got stuff to do on the computer! It’s slow… sometimes if i just leave it a long time booting up the usb device works… I don’t know hat the issues is exactly. Or how to step-by-step faulty search it… troubleshoot the issue and FIX IT.

Ok so i will try and explain my issues… Someone might be able to help me out!

I boot up and sometimes i get just the mic showing in Qubes devices!
Sometimes i get some that says:

sys-usb:5-3-0cf4_e113 or similair… I changes it a bit.
Sometimes i get:
sys-usb:5-2-Generic_USB2.0-CRW-201000011014000 (numbersag the end… i changed some…)

Ok, if i am lucky i get the sys-usb:5-3-0cf4_e113 sometimes! And then my usb devices WORKS on one port. Not the other one…
Been trying to boot up for two hours but the generic usb showed up instead… what do i do??? Thanks!

edit: I also need to play around with audacity and see if i get sound with a mic device… this is wierd! And extremely annoying hehe… fucks sake!!! Computers… love/hate relationship…
I usually get the USB devices to work…

Another thing! When i installed Qubes on this laptop it said: Warning… usb to dom0 is not restricted… is that the issues? What does that even mean? USb to dom0 should be restricted right? Might be some wierd code in Qubes, i have no idea. i’m not a coder.

Is it the amount of ram? I played around a bit with that earlier… Whats the issue… what are the commands and where do i type them to fix this?

I also see the qubes vchan in signal and can attach the mics to signal, but signal says: There was an error with the mic device, or similar…
I have no idea why… How do i troubleshoot and where? Also i use internet sometimes, so i don’t have the time to try fix this all day long… just looking for answers really. Arch seems cool otherwise, never tried it… Qubes might be a bit to slow on this laptop… But yeah it would be cool if i fixed the usb and sound issues… then i would use qubes… Otherwise i have wasted days trying to get this to work… hmm. Unnecessary… If i don’t get this “up and running”, just working…
USB and mic receiving sound cant be THAT hard to fix… can it…

Kinda the last chance if someone feels like trying to convince me to use qubes on this system… If i could solve this… Otherwise i just have to pick another OS…

Btw, is not all of Qubes open source 100%

Here:

System distribution having an X? Should be 100% free right?

edit:
Source model Open source with proprietary blobs,[1] [2]

Hmm… I did not know that… I’m changing OS. I want open source all the way.
I appreciate the idea behind Qubes though! (The usb issue is allot for me at the moment though… ) I like it, but gotta move on now… Peace out.

Especially liked “Security features” section…

Yeah fedora use Exec Shield - Wikipedia
and debian pax… or if it’s optional and not enables by default i don’t know.
why is not openBSD in there though?
Hyperbola seems cool! libre libre

Because it’s not Linux distribution?

Alright… unix though… Alright, that’s why then.
I like Qubes, but yeah… It’s annoying i did not get the USB and sound to work on this laptop when i have set up everything else and i like my system, and would want to run Qubes… )if everything worked smooth…)but, need to format/delete it all… what a waste of energy and effort setting this up…
It’s wierd that generic usb is showing up sometimes, and just mic sometimes and some other device sometimes… Qubes seems buggy sometimes, and sometimes not… I don’t know what it is… Or if it’s the hardware and a slow laptop… Some race condition…
That plus the password screen freeze when i type the password sometimes… might type to fast or to slow its some race condition there also probably…
Other then that i like the idea of cubes! Technical issues is annoying though… but Qubes is nice when i get it to work sometimes… not on this machine. hmm

Well, we still don’t know what your machine was, as well as other info needed for a more useful responses… You know…

It’s supported… let’s leave it at that. :wink: But yeah… usb issues… so i need to switch… i needed some usb commands mostly earlier… but yeah i’m gonna switch system…
See how the mic works there, and usb ports and such…

Well… great if it’s supported… then you know it’s not about Qubes then…

1 Like

@anon42456682 Pretty sure someone :roll_eyes: posted troubleshooting steps as well as associated course of action over a week ago but, doesn’t sound as though you’ve implemented it yet? If things aren’t working out “your way”, keep trying “your way”; luck :crossed_fingers: is bound to happen if you keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Why are you even bothering with Qubes anyway? Eddie told you it’s tacticool and, will guide you to compute more securely? Security is best thought of as a practice and/or mindset relative to your threat model, not an OS, place or thing which wards off all evil, all of the time.

It’s clear that is a PEBCAK issue. Once you take care of the PEBCAK, things ought start working as expected. As a novice system’s admin, if it’s going to make you feel warm & fuzzy to use another OS, than by all means do so; you’re happiness is of the utmost importance.