I’m thinking of buying one of these laptops:
ThinkPad T14s Gen 3 AMD
- Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO 6850U Processor (2.70 GHz up to 4.70 GHz)
- Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon™ 680M
- Memory: 32 GB LPDDR5-6400MHz (Soldered)
- Storage: 1 TB PCIe SSD Gen 4 Performance
- WLAN: Qualcomm Wi-Fi 6E NFA725A 2x2 AX & Bluetooth® 5.1 or above
ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10 Intel
- Processor: 12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1280P vPro® Processor (E-cores up to 3.60 GHz P-cores up to 4.80 GHz)
- Graphics: Integrated Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
- Memory: 32 GB LPDDR5 5200MHz (Soldered)
- Storage: 1 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 Performance TLC Opal
- WLAN: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 2x2 AX vPro® & Bluetooth® 5.1 or above
Neither option seems to allow Qubes to run flawlessly out-of-the-box, so I expect to do some debugging and playing around with kernel-latest. But which of these is more likely to work, or will likely require less debugging?
Regarding Option 1, there is a HCL report about the previous T14s generation (Gen 2) with AMD, which looks hopeful, and also some discussion on Zen3 (although no HCL entry yet).
Regarding Option 2, there are conflicting reports. One seems to find it works with kernel-latest, the other not.
Any help with this decision appreciated!