[qubes-users] Re: HCL - Lenovo X1 Carbon gen 10

Some follow-up. I tested also with a Fedora LiveCD, results are on the gist (here:Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-21CBCTO1WW-20220809-103412.yml · GitHub ) .

The Fedora livecd worked flawlessly, both wifi-wise and graphics-wise. It was a fedora 36 -- whereas dom0 is still on Fedora32.

Is it in any way possible to try out some experimental repo where dom0 is more recent?

Cheers,

Martin Holst Swende

1 Like

No, but I would like to know if your problems go away with
kernel-latest. If they do not, then this means that either Xen does not
interact well with Linux’s graphics drivers, or that the Mesa version is
too old for your hardware.
- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab

Unfortunately, they do not. I did that as the first thing after getting wifi to work, so the version 5.18.9-1 in the HCL, is kernel-latest.

Happy to try out any suggestion/experiment.

Cheers,

Martin

1. Does i915.enable_psr2_sel_fetch=0 help?
2. What X11 driver is Xorg using? If it is using Intel, does
   modesetting help? If it is using modesetting, does Intel help?
3. Does HVM sys-gui-gpu work? What about PV (not PVH!) sys-gui-gpu?

If PV sys-gui-gpu with a dom0-provided kernel works, then the problem is
almost certainly old dom0 userspace: either an old X server, old Mesa,
or both. If you could build modern Mesa and/or X11 for dom0 and try
again, that would be awesome.
- --
Sincerely,
Invisible Things Lab

> Happy to try out any suggestion/experiment.

1. Does i915.enable_psr2_sel_fetch=0 help?

No, no change that I can see.

2. What X11 driver is Xorg using? If it is using Intel, does
modesetting help? If it is using modesetting, does Intel help?

More full logs/notes can be found at Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-21CBCTO1WW-20220809-103412.yml · GitHub .

I'm not sure how to interpret the logs, it looks to me like "intel no, modesetting yes". Not sure how/what to change here, given a nudge in the right direction I can try to explore it more.

3. Does HVM sys-gui-gpu work? What about PV (not PVH!) sys-gui-gpu?

I don't have a sys-gui-gpu at the moment, but will test that. This page (Redirecting…) is still the most relevant/recent description, right?

If PV sys-gui-gpu with a dom0-provided kernel works, then the problem is
almost certainly old dom0 userspace: either an old X server, old Mesa,
or both. If you could build modern Mesa and/or X11 for dom0 and try
again, that would be awesome.

Left for future reference, I'm taking baby steps here :slight_smile:

Cheers

> > Happy to try out any suggestion/experiment.
>
> 1. Does i915.enable_psr2_sel_fetch=0 help?

No, no change that I can see.

Okay, so that is not the problem.

> 2. What X11 driver is Xorg using? If it is using Intel, does
> modesetting help? If it is using modesetting, does Intel help?

More full logs/notes can be found at Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-21CBCTO1WW-20220809-103412.yml · GitHub

I'm not sure how to interpret the logs, it looks to me like "intel no,
modesetting yes". Not sure how/what to change here, given a nudge in the
right direction I can try to explore it more.

That is what it looks like to me also.

> 3. Does HVM sys-gui-gpu work? What about PV (not PVH!) sys-gui-gpu?

I don't have a sys-gui-gpu at the moment, but will test that. This page
(Redirecting…) is still the most
relevant/recent description, right?

I think so? I don’t use sys-gui-gpu myself, and I will admit that there
are quite a few bugs when using it. Still, if it works, then the
possible parts of the code that could be to blame is much lower. If
sys-gui-gpu in PV mode works, then the problem is almost certainly the
userspace drivers (Mesa). If sys-gui-gpu in HVM mode works, but it
fails in PV mode, then the problem is likely in the way i915 and Xen
interact.

> If PV sys-gui-gpu with a dom0-provided kernel works, then the problem is
> almost certainly old dom0 userspace: either an old X server, old Mesa,
> or both. If you could build modern Mesa and/or X11 for dom0 and try
> again, that would be awesome.

Left for future reference, I'm taking baby steps here :slight_smile:

Valid :slight_smile:

- --
Sincerely,
Invisible Things Lab

>>> Happy to try out any suggestion/experiment.
>>
>> 1. Does i915.enable_psr2_sel_fetch=0 help?

> No, no change that I can see.

Okay, so that is not the problem.

>> 2. What X11 driver is Xorg using? If it is using Intel, does
>> modesetting help? If it is using modesetting, does Intel help?

> More full logs/notes can be found at Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-21CBCTO1WW-20220809-103412.yml · GitHub
> .

> I'm not sure how to interpret the logs, it looks to me like "intel no,
> modesetting yes". Not sure how/what to change here, given a nudge in the
> right direction I can try to explore it more.

That is what it looks like to me also.

>> 3. Does HVM sys-gui-gpu work? What about PV (not PVH!) sys-gui-gpu?

> I don't have a sys-gui-gpu at the moment, but will test that. This page
> (Redirecting…) is still the most
> relevant/recent description, right?

I think so? I don’t use sys-gui-gpu myself, and I will admit that there
are quite a few bugs when using it. Still, if it works, then the
possible parts of the code that could be to blame is much lower. If
sys-gui-gpu in PV mode works, then the problem is almost certainly the
userspace drivers (Mesa). If sys-gui-gpu in HVM mode works, but it
fails in PV mode, then the problem is likely in the way i915 and Xen
interact.

I have tested this now. When I boot, the problem remains. Opening the Qube Manager shows that the sys-gui-gpu qube is not running. I tried starting it from the manager,
and it led to immediate black screen, requiring a hard shutdown. The logs for that qube are here:

I then switched it to PV mode. Same thing, does not startup + blackscreen if I start it explicitly.

dom0 will kernel panic if the GPU is removed from it while in use. I
recommend preventing the i915 kernel module from being loaded in dom0
via the dom0 kernel command line.
- --
Sincerely,
Invisible Things Lab

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

New development: I used the boot param: module_blacklist=i915 (and the drivers were also removed from the filesystem).

This time, there were no graphics glitches. However, the sys-gui-gpu did not come up. I started a work -qube Firefox, thinking it maybe would kickstart the gui vm, but no.

So maybe those gui-vm config steps do not fully enable it? I eventually (again) tried manually starting it, with the result of immediate blackscreen freeze.

Not sure where that leaves me? I don’t even know what the whole i915 thing is all about, what is it supposed to improve?

To follow up after a bit more experimentation.

- Using the boot param 'module_blacklist=i915' makes things work pretty much ok. No obvious graphics glitches, it's able to play videos without the fans spinning up like crazy.

- The PCI device for networking seems unsupported, so usb-wifi card is needed to get networking working.

- I get no sounds. Pavucontrol lists "Dummy Output" as the only available output device, so I guess the PCI device for sound is also not supported. (My old laptop has "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" output device in pavucontrol).

- I did not get the whole sys-gui-gpu thing to work sufficiently to test it, not sure if there's anything left to explore in that area. Mostly I think a more recent kernel is the thing that will eventually solve this.

Cheers,

Martin

You may want to keep your i915 driver and try: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/7507#issuecomment-1153081021

Interesting!

I tried it now, but unfortunately I encounter a core dump, similar to one person in that issue. However, I don’t think I have any spelling errors, and definitely no erroneous quote characters.

Cheers,
Martin

Well done!

How did you enable the 5.18 kernel? I’ve tried with ‘qubes-dom0-unstable’ and listing the available kernels, but it shows only a few versions of 5.15 as installation candidates.

Cheers,

Martin

– You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “qubes-users” group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to . To view this discussion on the web visit .

Qubes is working for me on Lenovo X1 Carbon gen 10.

To fix graphical glitches Dom0 needs to use kernel 5.18.16-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64 and create file with “sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-intel.conf” and add;

Section “OutputClass”
Identifier “intel”
MatchDriver “i915”
Driver “intel”
Option “AccelMethod” “sna”
Option “TearFree” “true”
Option “DRI” “3”
EndSection

There will still be a graphical glitch when entering the LUKS password but everything else works fine.

To fix WiFi network you need to use kernel 5.15.64-1.fc32 on sys-net. Most of the time the network adapter works, sometimes it doesn’t work on boot but restarting sys-net gets it working. Once I have had to reboot the whole computer to get it working.

I just entered “sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest”

That’s odd, since it doesn’t seem to work for me.

Related question: I’ve been searching and haven’t found – where can I check the most recent packages on the various channels (stable / unstable / testing / experimental etc) . Would be nice to be able to check what different kernels are available via what channels.

Cheers ,

Update on this.

I was able to update sys-net to use 5.15.64-1.fc32, and can confirm that it fixed the wifi issues.

I also updated the dom0, to 5.19.9-1.fc32. However, that didn’t go as well, and the system now crashes on boot – sometimes I get to enter the LUKS password, sometimes it crashes before that.

If I do module_blacklist=i915, then I can bypass the crash and enter the system.

/Martin

Yeah, In the process of trying to get qubes to work I tried 5.19.9-1.fc32 but it kept crashing at the Luks password screen. The only kernel that seems to work is 5.18.16-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64 but if “sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest” doesn’t work for you then I don’t know how else you would get it.

I installed an early version: 5.19.14-1 (see ).

Unfortunately, it didn’t solve the issue – crash at luks screen. However, I did manage to snap a picture of the crash this time. See attached.

/Martin