Qubes Update not launching after force quitting an update

Hello,

I was updating dom0 today and in dom0’s terminal I saw that update most likely has completed (it appeared in ‘dnf history’) but it wasn’t visible in Qubes Update and I thought it was stuck so I did force reset my computer (dom0’s updates state in percentage is not visible in Qubes Update GUI too). Qubes Update is crashing now when I’m trying to open it.

Now, when launching Qubes Update using qubes-update-gui --log DEBUG it outputs this: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in > self.perform_setup() File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in> self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings) File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106,> self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale) File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122,> in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ IndexError: list index out of range Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in > self.perform_setup() File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in> self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings) File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106,> self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale) File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122,> in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0]
I did some research, too. I thought there is a fix in this link: https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/qubes-update-tool-immediately-crashes-when-launching-on-4-2/21170/5 but it appears that some staff fixed that here https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-desktop-linux-manager/pull/174/commits/dcda6d5c79397ddc282a637f4dcc1c7d0f85204a and I checked that in my updater.py in /usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py and these lines 61 and 62 from fix were removed as it should be when fixed.

If someone had similar issue or knows how to fix this, please answer. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

This is a well known bug in Qubes Updater GUI. It was reported here two weeks ago. It happens only if there is no known available update. This means your dom0 update should had been completed successfully and you have no pending update for any template.

A fix was submitted and merged around the same time. It is currently in current-testing repository as reported by Qubes project leader. You should receive it in few days once it is moved to current stream and system does the automatic background refreshing of update-availability checks.

p.s.: It is still possible to use qubes-vm-update and qubes-dom0-update command line utilities.

1 Like