Qrexec Agent Cannot Connect

Hello,

Getting error message:

“cannot connect to qrexec agent for 60 seconds, see /var/log/xen/console/VMNAME.log” when attempting

to start up a TemplateVM

checked the log file but nothing jumps out as being the cause for the crash. Have increased the memory

for the qube so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

Maybe other logs from the VM show something?

There is an error message in /var/log/qubes/qrexec.VMNAME.log

cannot connect to qrexec agent: No such File or Directory

I’m not sure what causes this, but I used to have it happen a lot when I was running a setup with super slow disk read/write speeds.

I didn’t notice anything specific pertaining to rw in the logs; the only boot flag that jumped out at me was
nomodset, which affects the GPU drivers.

Same issue here. I have one snap installed. The Debian Qubes that do not have a Snap do not have this problem.

In this post the proposed solution to change the Kernel is not an option on Qubes 4.1 because the other kernels are not available: Domain failed to start: Cannot connect to qrexec agent - #4 by pr0xy

I there are other community posts about the same error:

And many more without a solution.

I could fix it eventually by increasing the memory to 400 and 4000.

I wonder through how can it be, that without making any changes to a Qube it runs fine for a while with 200 and 2000 as the memory setting and then suddenly it is no longer enough and it requires more?

1 Like

I just experienced the same issue with my sys-firewall qube. Yesterday, I upped the mem/max mem to 800/8000 MB of its template, fedora-38-dvm, which then affected sys-firewall as well. After changing it back to 400/4000 MB, everything worked again!