Problem lightdm.service - system stale at boot

I have been using Qubes for quite some time on my laptop, and upgraded to 4.2.x some time - so my hardware used to work together with Qubes 4.2.x

At some point after the laptop run out of battery, I could not boot the system anymore. It tried to start “lightdm.service”, but then froze completely.

Since then, I tried to re-install Qubes OS 4.2.1, but have not managed to do so:

• In 90% of tries, the system freezes
  • In 5% of cases, I was able to install Qubes up to the point, when the system restarts. But after re-start, the system froze again.
  • In 5% of cases, I was able to fully install Qubes, but after the first re-boot I was back at the problem that lightdm.service would not start.

I am not abel to explain this random behaviour, but I also do not know how to debug as the system freezes and I cannot access log files.

The problem seems to be related to:

This is another problem, but it may be related:

Potentially even this one:

I do have an NVIDIA Graphics card and my guess is that this seems to mess the system up.

Unfortunately I do not understand the solutions proposed in the posts above. Seems that “hide the GPU” seems to be promising, but I do not know how to use this (1) during installation process or (2) with the new installed system in dom0

Any remark on how to debug this welcome!

Hardware:
Dell Laptop
Intel core i7-11800H
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti

Try to add cpufreq=xen:hwp=off to Xen cmdline:

You can add Xen cmdline in GRUB like this:

But add cpufreq=xen:hwp=off to the end of the line starting with multiboot2.

Thank you for taking the time.
I did my best to try this out, yet given the fact that I am not an expert in bootloaders let me explain in detail what I did:

• I copied the image of Qubes OS on (several) usb data sticks
  • I booted with these data sticks
  • When the first screen shows up with the options “install”, “test & install”, “rescue” etc. I pressed “e”
  • A screen came up with 4 lines, the second started with “multiboot2 …”; I added the above test after the last character of this line [“cpufreq=xen:hwp=off”]
  • Then I pressed F10 for reboot
  • The system started up, did some tests, yet at the end it froze again.

The only meaningful warning that I could see on the screen was:
“dracut-initqueue: Unknown device “/dev/run/install/repo/images/install.img”: No such device”

In case I got this completely wrong please advise. I have to admit that I did not fully understand the two articles you posted above - it looks like these were on Qubes systems that worked in general, while I do not have a working system anymore and I work with the USB data stick with the image for installation.

Your steps looks OK.

Just to make sure, did you have the space " " between the end of the original multiboot2 line and cpufreq=xen:hwp=off that you’ve added?

This line doesn’t give me any clues. Can you make a photo of the frozen screen with the logs that you see?

Thanks for helping on this!

question 1: Yes, I had the original line, then exactly one space, then the string “cpufreq=xen:hwp=off”, and I tried this twice: 1x with a trailing space at the end, the second time without a trailing space. I pressed F10 to reboot.

question 2: The frozen screen appears after a clear screen, that is the screen is entirely blank, and on the top left corner you see the cursor stale (that is: not blinking).

Add these options in GRUB menu so you’ll see the logs before the freeze:

Thank you for the idea!

I tried as you said:
1.) I run the Qubes OS installer with the “additional” boot options.
It worked and I could install Qubes OS - but I think it has nothing to do with these parameters, it was the case before that it sometimes worked and sometimes it did not.
2.) With a brand new Qubes OS 4.2.1 installed, I could boot once without any problem. But when I shut it down, I had the problem as always: The boot process halted at “lightdm.service”
3) I then tried to reboot with the additional parameters as suggested above.
The boot process was a lot longer, way more information, but it does not make any sense to me. I tried to take a picture of the very last screen when the system halted (see attached).

Does this make any sense?

After more research I still think that the NVIDIA GPU may be a problem.

Any ideas?

Do you have external display connected to your laptop during boot?
Try to add nomodeset kernel command line option in GRUB menu.