GPU Passthrough -> lightdm.service won't start

Would this be the same for a dual AMD gpu setup?
Of course with the identifier and driver changed to AMD I guess.

I donā€™t have an AMD GPU to test right now, but Iā€™d assume it would work like this:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
Section "Device"
  Identifier "AMDGPU1"
  Driver "amdgpu"
  BusID "PCI:1:0:0"  # Replace this with the actual BusID of your GPU for Qubes
EndSection

The driver may be something else on Qubes, in which case you can check by using lspci -vnn and looking for your VGA compatible controller AMD device. The driver name will be in the ā€œKernel modulesā€ or ā€œKernel driver in useā€ sections.
For the BusID, youā€™re going to need to find which of the AMD GPUs you want to keep on Qubes, which will be the number before the ā€œVGA compatible controllerā€ on that device.

1 Like

Nice! However in this case can you still pass it through to a VM? Idā€™s suspect no since itā€™s in use by dom0 bur I may be wrong.

I somehow managed to boot with rd.qubes.hide_pci but the problem now is that when I start the gpu_HVM I get: ā€œGuest has not initialized the display (yet)ā€. Iā€™ve looked into this and someone was claiming that I should get an older firmware .bin file from 4.1 and replace it in 4.2 but the problem is that these files are the exact same and behavior doesnā€™t change.

Happy to hear. You donā€™t happen to know what made it work, correct?

Yes I can, and I go from seeing the qubes startup log on the monitor to seeing my HVM whenever I boot it. Iā€™m surprised it works but it does haha. Might just be a case of me being lucky and my GPU model just working for some reason.

1 Like