NovaCustom NV41 Series

@novacustom can you please submit a HCL report?

Could you please confirm, should I run qubes-hcl-report dom0 on a certified NV41 Series and share the result here?

Please follow these instructions:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Here it is.
Qubes-HCL-Notebook-NV4xPZ-20230510-100826.yml (851 Bytes)

3 Likes

Thank you @novacustom for your HCL report, which is online now!

@Sven thank you!

Hello Qubes team. Thank you for an amazing OS.

I have a question: how NV41 is certified if there is no hardware buttons for camera and microphone. Wasnā€™t this a requirement before?

Thank you.
IC

Hi @immaculate

This has never been a requirement - it it were then no x230 based
machine would have qualified.

The relevant sections say:

You can read the full specification here.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

Even though we donā€™t have hardware switches for the camera and microphone module, there is an option in our configurator to permanently remove this entire module.

1 Like

Hello
Pls find my HCL report for NV41 at the bottom of this submission [1] (CC @Sven )

And Iā€™d like to report problems running Q4.1.2 on NV41 (i7-1260P + wifi 6 ax210):

• When running latest kernel (6.3.2-1.qubes.fc32) and having S3 or S0ix as suspend mode set, resume from sleep does not work.

• Suspend and resume works with S3 and previous kernel version (6.2.10-1)

I am also curious if your laptop is able to be charged via USB-C, because my workstation is, but only for few seconds :frowning: and then is back to drain the battery.

In specs they stated following:

1 x USB 3.1 Gen. 2 port (Type C) with Thunderboltā„¢ 4 support and charging over USB-C and Display Alt Mode (up to two external displays via USB-C)

There are also some other open issues reported here

[1] HCL report for NV41

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  NovaCustom NV41
model: |
  NV4xPZ
bios: |
  Dasharo (coreboot+UEFI) v1.6.0
cpu: |
  12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P
cpu-short: |
  i7-1260P
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:4621] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:46a6] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

gpu-short: |
  Intel iRIS Xe
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    6.3.2-1
  remark: |
    Suspend/Resume works with previous kernel 6.2.10.1, but resume fails when running latest kernel 6.3.2-1, there are also issues with charging over USB-C (3.1 with ThunderBolt 4, when it works for few seconds and then it stops).
  credit: |
    disp666
  link: |
    https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/novacustom-nv41-series/18531

---
1 Like

I was advised to use verify that I install and run Qubes with kernel version 6.1.x. After instalation I the qubes-hcl-report said it is 6.1.12 now it got upgraded to 6.3.2-1 - after running al sorts of updates. For me as of now I everything seems to be working fine.

Are there any known issues with this kernel other than the suspend? How could I have triggered a kernel upgrade? Is there an way to downgrade?

You can select older kernel in grub menu during the boot (in case you did not uninstalled the older versions)

I just did experiment with test kernel (6.3.9-1.fc32) but resume after suspend does not work properly either.

Iā€™ll try to describe it better, it looks like the problem is in dom0.
Machine can wake up from suspend and I can get back to GUI. Iā€™m able to switch between virtual desktops (i3wm), appVMs.
dom0 applications and tools work OK after resume.

The problem is stuck or frozen appVM windows.
For example when I click the other open tab in browser window, the title in window change, but the content of windows shows the same screen without any re-draw.

appVMs responsible for network are stuck as well and Iā€™m not able to close them by shutdown, I need to kill them.

This can be related to stuck processes visible in dom0:

root       39460    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d disp2633 root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0
root       39462    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d disp3854 root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0
root       39464    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d sys-firewall root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0
root       39470    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d sys-vpn root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0
root       39472    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d sys-whonix root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0
root       39474    3045  0 19:26 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/qrexec-client -d vault root:QUBESRPC qubes.SuspendPostAll dom0

When I kill all stuck app and sys VMs, Iā€™m able to restart everything and continue using NV41 without reboot, but I guess there is no real benefit to this workaround. I need to be able to resume after suspend into fully working system.

So far the only solution for me is to manually choose kernel version (6.2.10-1) for suspend/resume to work as expected.

This paragraph above is not true any more, even with 6.2.10-1 in dom0, appVMs will not resume correctly :frowning:

If you know anything that needs to be done to mitigate resume issue in recent kernels please let me know.

The Qubes OS team is working on a fix:

1 Like

Thx!

with 6.3.12-1 resume works as expected on NV41

I really enjoy running qubesOS on new HW!

2 Likes

How can I install this kernel version?
I have the kernel 6.3.9-1.
I would also like to try this with my Nitropad NV41.

You need to install kernel-latest package:
sudo qubes-dom0-update kernel-latest in dom0.

There is corresponding kernel-latest-qubes-vm package to provide latest
kernel in qubes. You may want to install that also.

1 Like
  1. Did anyone manage to setup sys-audio and use BT headset successfully? (r4.1)
  2. Anyone running Q r4.2?
  3. For quite some time (month?) laptop is not able to complete reboot or shutdown, but it hangs with black screen and is not responding to any key-press except power-button. (6.4.13-1.qubes.fc32.x86_64)
  4. Another observation laptop it-self is doing strange noises, itā€™s not related to mechanical movement like fans but more like electric interference and when surrounding is quiet it is kind of annoying. Did anyone else observe something similar?

Look here

1 Like

Some more information about the IOMMU layout that I received from my customer today.

3 Likes

Very interesting, thank you! So it is possible to use different USB controllers with external USB drives / thumbdrives on the NV41, if this diagram is correctā€¦itā€™s just more complicated to achieve separationā€¦the reason I gave up on that on my NV41 early on is because I was getting all sorts of strange behavior in my tests, but as it turned out my external SSD drive needed to be reformatted, and, as you now reveal, USB-2 behaves differently from USB-3.

So, having done some quick, preliminary tests now again, basically one could designate the TB4 USB-C port as ā€œtrustedā€ by assigning the two TB4 controllers to a sys-thunderbolt, while the other controller will be in sys-usb, for example. My tests now show that in this configuration, using only USB-3 devices:

• when only sys-thunderbolt is running, only the TB4 port can be used
  • when only sys-usb is running, only the other three ports can be used
  • performance seems to be very similar for the same SSD drive when hooked up to the TB4 port via sys-thunderbolt vs. when hooked up to the other USB-C port via sys-usb
  • all USB ports still provide power even when no controller is attached to any VM

Though perhaps itā€™s prudent to instead designate the TB4 as untrusted, since when e.g. flashing new BIOS firmware the separation cannot be achieved and only the two TB4 controllers can be ā€œisolatedā€ from the rest by not using that portā€¦that is, unless one needs the TB4 for a dock or external graphics card.