Looking to switch to a ThinkPad from a Librem14 Suggestions welcome

I agree, and I wrote above how I see it could happen. Also I agree and wrote this especially should be used in case of having one laptop per USB controller, as I like to say. But in my case, I can spare the controller to network devices only as I wrote, so very aware of possible consequences. But, have to practice for the future, because the next thing will be USB controller in the cloud, hahaha.

As I understand it, this is not related to the matter, and is actually the exact reason why whole Qubes defaults PVH and not PV and me using such a scenario described above.
So, I could say, that XSA is the reason why should I use it in a way above.

1 Like

In the default
Qubes OS configuration, this allows malicious sys-net, sys-firewall, and
sys-usb qubes to attack any qube to which they are connected

2 Likes

for PV backend?

Edit: Ah, I see what you mean - the default. And the default is HVM for sys-net, right? And Iā€™m making PVH of it hopefully to gain attack less trivial?

AFAIK you canā€™t have PVH virtualization in any qube with connected devices.

Yes i know? Thatā€™s my strategy: move HVMs ā€œbehindā€ PVHs?

1 Like

Hello Community!

As a possible Qubes returner, I came about a good offer for a new laptop, for a Lenovo V15 Gen 2 ( AMD Ryzen 5 5500U). I was wondering whether this could be a good base to returning to Qubes. I have missed out several years of developments at Qubes, so all advice and feedback is welcome. At the same time I am trying to look up info but at first google did not give me clues about this laptop with Qubes. (also the Hardware Compatibility list is not containing any info on the V15 series)

Sincerely

Report:
Bought a P15 gen2 with 128GB ram; with a 512G + 2TB NVMe
Should have it by early December.
Unfortunately itā€™s a vPro, will have some work to do here,
And an Intel WiFi card, will have to replace with non-intel (as itā€™s part of the AMT)
And look into Coreboot, and a way to split /boot to SD card (which Iā€™ve failed to achieve so far) and LUKS2 with Argon2id and some other tweak that I donā€™t need and probably wonā€™t do but like to pretend (lie to myself) that I will somehow magically manage to do :wink:

2 Likes

We are talking 64G to 128G ram here.
Your model is 16G max ā€¦ you might want to look elsewhere for XEN
It has both a 2,5 hdd and a NVMe ā€¦ you might want to fall back to a P53 which offer the same, but with up to 128G ram

AMD Ryzenā„¢ 5000 Series Mobile Processors with Radeonā„¢ Graphics push the Lenovo V15 Gen 2 (15" AMD) laptop through your to-do list. On top of that, up to 16GB memory and a hybrid combination of up to 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD and 2TB HDD storage allow for efficient multitasking, speedy data access, and plenty of storage.

1 Like

Received my P15, and my upgrades ā€¦
Installed 4x 32G RAM, kept the original 512G NVMe, added 2x 2T NVMe RAID0

• The original 170w power brick is not enough
  1. Qubes doesnā€™t install (error during pre-boot check up)
    Iā€™m sooooo disappointed ! Iā€™ve spent all m savings in this material only for Qubes !
    Iā€™m gonna cry for a week and then cry some more

@Erica.vH
So sorry to hear about this.
Unfortunately these problems can come when you work at(beyond) the edge of what
Qubes supports.
This is why Qubes provides the HCL, to guide user purchases.

That said, the pace of development is quite fast, so it may be that in
short order, the problem you encountered will be resolved.

Can you give some more information here? What is the error?

Can you provide specs for your P15?

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

:frowning_face:
So very sad to read. When tears abate

First thought is maybe try test without added 2x 2T NVMe and or various RAM configs. Sorry have no immediate better ideas.

More info on error during pre-boot check up may also enable assistance. I hope so and repeat unmanā€™s requests.

Hi UnMan and Confused,
Thks for your posts, both.
The spec for the P15 are in my previous post.
I donā€™t blame Qubes, I blame the laptop !
When installing Qubes, it goes through material check up and then stops with a ctrl-D option at the end. Iā€™ve tried to save the log, but LS gives me no otpion (no disk to save it to)
For now, Iā€™m following this lead 4.1 Installation Trouble On ThinkPad P15, Gen. 2 but the normal bios update is giving me trouble, so Iā€™m trying off-line ā€¦ if it works
Cheers,

This thread is headed slightly out of primary scope, anyone @off-topic-moderators could help moving it all (the last 3-4 posts) to a thread on its own ? ā€œSetting up Qubes on a P15 gen2 128GB ram 4TB NVMeā€

Iā€™ve updated the bios, and gave it another try, but to no avail, it crashes during pre-test
First, it holds for about 3min (first pix), then it flows tons of lines until giving me the D. (ctrl-D option on 2nd pix)

Have you tried without having the drives in raid0 configuration?

1 Like

Hi @Renehoj,
Thks for your input.
As I am currently installing Suse, I see that the RAID is indeed not recognized, the installer only sees two 2TB NVMe as ā€œemptyā€.
But these 2 NVMe in RAID.0 should not prevent install as Iā€™m targeting the small 512GB NVMe standalone (not part of the RAID)
Suse install = 1
Qubes install = 0

EDIT: correction, SUSE install = 0,8 ā€¦ error UEFI

Iā€™ve solved this part of the problem.
As all my network is wired, all m ThinkPads are set to Airplane mode.
But as I was poking around, I stumbled on the Airplane mode ā€¦ for power !
I turned it off, and sure enough, the battery started charging !

1 Like

Hi,
Iā€™ve removed the RAID0, and started the instal with choice ā€œBoot verbose and debugā€ (or something like that)
Here is where the install hang for 2min
not sure if the lack of EFI variable comes from my USB stick (Via Rufus) or the current disk (Where Win10 and Suse are installed)

I assume you disabled secure boot, and OS optimization.

Is booting with CSM or legacy mode possible with the P15?

Assuming right :slight_smile:
Disabled VMD as well. Actually, pretty much every option in the bios are off.
Tomorrow I will remove RAM and remove NVMe 1 by 1 and keep trying.
I bought this machine only for Qubes, Iā€™m not turning back !

test 1:
Removed the upper slots 2x 32G RAM (Left the bottom ones)
Removed the upper NVMe 512G (Left the bottom ones)
Same thing, checkup failed.

As for MBR BIOS, unless I flash the chip with CoreBoot, there is no option but the UEFI :frowning: