Looking to switch to a ThinkPad from a Librem14 Suggestions welcome

All new Lenovo laptops are shipped with boot guard, isn’t Coreboot impossible on the P15?

Doing the installation is it possible to use alt+ctrl+f2/3/4 to switch to a single user shell?

If you can get access to a shell, maybe there is a log file that tells you which driver fails to load.

1 Like

Test 2:
Thks to Hiren Boot CD, I’ve managed to change one of the 2x 2TB NVMe into MBR, the other stayed GPT
Removed all remaining 32G RAM, reinstalled original 16G RAM
Install failed.

Test 3:
Removed both 2TB NVMe,
So left with all original, 16G RAM and 512G NVMe (GPT)
Install failed.

I’m not sure it is about neither the RAM nor the NVMe … It seems there is some about the UEFI … dracut initqueue hook …
EFI partition unknown; exiting, EFI varia not set by bootloader

don’t know, haven’t tried yet, didn’t even purchased the flasher yet.
alt-ctrl during Qubes install you mean ? let me try that
But so far, haven’t been able to save any log as there is no accessible disk (>LS = empty)

maybe check your installation medium?

Test 4:
All 4x 32G RAM; only 1x 2TB NVMe in slot 1 (Slot 0 and Slot 2 empty)
Installed SUSE successfully.

1 Like

P15 specific tthread moved to Instal QUBES on a brand new P15 gen2 - i7.11850 + 4x 32G RAM + 1x 512G NVMe + 2x 2TB NVMe - #10 by eric.vanh

I had the same problem when trying to install qubes on KCMA-D8 (Your errors look very similar). Just run the first half of the install on a different computer and then move the disk to the computer you actually want to run qubes on. Goes like this:

1. Start qubes install on “Other” computer

2. When prompted to restart after grub install, shutdown computer instead of restarting. (You can let it try to restart, just unplug the computer while it’s cycling the power)

3. Move your fresh “qubes just installed” disk and boot it on the “new” computer

4. Finish up install on “new” computer

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, on these newer Thinkpad laptops like the P53 or P15 it is possible to disable Intel ME in the bios, but it’s not possible to flash coreboot on them.

1 Like