Logical volume “vm-sys-net-volatile” already exists in volume group”qubes_dom0”

I am aware that there is already some documentation about this, most notably:

I will need people to bear with me on this as I don’t understand how github works but from my reading of the link above it appears to be solved?

The problem has come out of the blue. I don’t make many demands of my qubes machine and there was no bad shutdowns etc. What I will say is that a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to the latest Fedora and also updated dom0. I have posted elsewhere that since I did that I have to unplug my usb keyboard otherwise the pc gets caught in a loop that keeps taking me back to the disk encryption pw. That problem never resolved and now I have this problem.

This link here:

Comes up with this solution:

After my system crashed and rebooted I had the same error message. I was able to fix it by issuing the following commands in dom0:

• dom0: lvdisplay (and searching for the path to the logical volume, e.g. lvdisplay|grep vm-sys-net-volatile)*
  • dom0: lvremove (e.g. lvremove /dev/qubes_dom0/vm-sys-net-volatile)*

I’m stuck on the first part of locating the logical volume…the solution is probably staring at me but is asking beyond my current skill level.

Another suggestion from ADW was to reboot dom0.

So, if I could get a couple of pointers.
1. ADW’s problems here were resolved with a reboot of dom0. If I reboot/restart it returns the same error. Can I reboot dom0 from the terminal and is this what I should be doing rather than shutdown/restart from the GUI? Is there an advantage to a terminal reboot?
2. Can anybody walk me through how to plug the correct commands for the path to my logical volume as per the solution above?

I will be very grateful if I can rescue things from here. Otherwise I have my crucial qubes backups that are a week old so they would do at a pinch.

Thanks for any tips, pointers, solutions.

Both ways of rebooting dom0 are equivalent. It sounds like you just have a different problem than the one that I had, even though we got similar error messages.

I’m not very familiar with the volume stuff either, so I’m afraid I can’t be of much help there.

1 Like

Well, it looks like I stumbled onto a solution. The only science was me punching in things to the terminal that I came across. But, it seems to be fixed.
First up I tried the above solution (that I am sure didn’t work the other day). I got an error message telling me that a particular appVM was doing something (can’t remember what as I was just resigned that I wouldn’t be able to fix it and I was already resigned to a reinstall so I was going for it). I was able to delete this VM as I had it cloned anyway).

But a reboot didn’t fix it. So I had a look at the git documentation. I tried these of which neither worked

sudo lvremove vm-sys-whonix-private-tmp  

qvm-remove sys-whonix

Then I tried this below (which was corrected code)

lvremove qubes_dom0/vm-sys-usb-root-snap

Then it was crash through or crash. A place I’ve been to before with Linux! From this it asked me if I wanted to individually remove a whole bunch of files (105?). Anyway, I just deleted the lot and rebooted and it booted as normal without my deleted VM.

Everything appears to be fine. All my qubes are there, all the templates, nothing missing.

So, I don’t know if unscientific things like this actually help, but I’m relieved that I got this back at least allowing me to immediately back my qubes up. Happy until the next time!