Level of discourse

I simply request that overt malice be avoided where possible on this forum.

3 Likes
yawning response to off-topic umoderated psychosis (edited)

@mods
What’s the point of splitting posts w/o the intended goal being achieved?

@Emily

From my shoes, thus far your response to the dialogue YOU asked for is akin to a proud-boy who’s shot themself in their leg, makes it to the ER but, is going to bleed out because they’re refusing treatment from the staff who happen to have more melanin in their skin than he. But, that’d be his “choice” right? Which, by all means would be just peachy AFAIC.

The way I see things, you’ve a few solid options:

A) Change “it”.
(Or, at a minimum your perceptions/demands/expectations of.)

B) Leave “it”.

C) Quit whining about “it”.

Please, let’s stay civil, dispense with the nonsense, and just stay focused on Qubes and other related topics. That is the only reason people come here.

4 Likes

With all due respect, this may be the intent but, hardly the reality IMO.

@cayce @Emily

There is one in Preferences > Notifications > Users

Ignored
You have no ignored users.
Suppress all posts, messages, notifications, personal messages, and chat direct messages from these users.

I like popcorn, but please, use this feature. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I tried this when I 1st signed up, didn’t work as expected. P̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ Noise was still visible. Is this not the case for you? Ought I try again?

Edit:
I stand corrected, I had tried “Mute”! “Ignore” works a treat!

Bless your :heart: !

Plz, DM me a crypto addy sooz I can buy you some :beers: !!! Hell, might even have to tell the better-half that our next-born will be named @szz9pza !

Largely agree and restored, especially the later part of that post was useful and worth restoring.

Agreed and restored.

2 Likes

To separate the drivel, ego polishing and opining into a dedicated thread that can safely be ignored by everyone uninterested in this utterly useless banter.

It does. You can mute threads, whole categories or specific people. Look and ye shall find.

I will flag some later posts and lock this thread down now. You both cool off. This is a giant waste of time (yours and everyone else’s).

3 Likes

Apologies for the comment on discourse and not the matter at hand, but reading through this thread - which I have enjoyed - I didn’t find you to be attacking or being rude. Rather informative but with a strong tone of encouragement to engage in self-education at the depth beyond which a single thread and informative responses can equip you to understand and audit these issues.

I’ve also found it fairly humorous and I think maybe your style of communication is misread as aggressive by some, although obviously gaining in its force throughout.

Unfortunately this is a common theme, and really people do need to understand that if we are discussing nation-state level adversaries if you aren’t a technical-user you can perhaps gain some basic ground in understanding areas to harden, practices to improve, and topics to research, but the only way to bridge that gap is with deep study that most - including myself - are not willing to make.

@Emily I can understand your frustration if people are not meeting your complaints with the seriousness or credulity that you think they deserve, but I think it’s most productive if you keep as closely as you can to the technical questions at hand and not expound on the broader nature of your adversary and the world. This will inevitably only lessen credibility and really does nothing to move the discussion forward, irrespective of its true validity.

It’s unfortunate that the thread devolved because I enjoy reading these type of threads with input from technical users, but it seems they always tilt off track in this manner.

@Sven As it said you aren’t accepting direct messages, i’ll post here also: Your moderation efforts in threads are valuable and really help to clean them up without censoring. Thanks for your efforts in this area.

Put this all behind a drop down of something like “comment about discourse”.

3 Likes

And already closed?
A post was merged into an existing topic: Level of discourse
Why is this flagged?
https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/level-of-discourse/17275/10
Okay, this forum is not antisocial media, so please stop and remove completely the “level of discourse” category.
I only want to read about Qubes here, and toxic behaviour should not be allowed. People as cayce should be blocked.

Always a wise idea for one to not “should” on themself …

It’s unclear to me what “toxic behaviour(sic)” you’re referring to. Would that be unsupported FUD which leads to confusion & fear unnecessarily? Or, would it be that of invoking the dead for clout while hurling personal insults/attacks and asserting un-based assumptions in response to sound advice given based on (lack of) “evidence”? Or, maybe, maybe it’s those posts which seek to suppress what you seek? :person_shrugging:

Hate it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: or love it :heart:

Here’s a helpful post detailing a (new?) feature which may help you address your goals.

The answer to your question looks to literally be on the FIRST page hit, no?

off-topic response to psychosis

Par for the course, you’ve asked a question, received a very valid & helpful answer yet, wanna go full-tilt?

Because, why? I dunno. :person_shrugging:

I must have missed that part so, guess you decided to fill in the blanks? Bravo, keep up the good work! :bowing_woman:

Can’t be bothered to read further as, you’re not even the slightest bit clever nor witty with your lame-sauce attitude/attacks.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: KDE users: How to bring recently opened window to focus automatically?

Yes… searched all that… tried all that… still not getting the behavior I’m looking for.

I could burn more hours trying to figure it out, yet I’m sure the answer is simple for the pros. And that’s what forums are made for I would think.

off-topic

P.S. That was not an outburst. That was long overdue in context with @cayce’s historical behavior leading to this point.

off-topic clarity request

Let me get this straight, you’re angered by my contributions? Or, infuriated by solutions provided?

.02$

So an unwarranted targeted response to a generalization you made of his behavior despite the objective value of his contribution. Starting to wonder whose ego is actually delicate and perhaps hurt by the obvious solution (ed: a simple online search) which, according to your original post, you did not perform.

Perhaps next time specify what solutions you’ve already tried and the results you obtained, including whether relevant searches were conducted. This may result in lower chances of getting triggered by straightforward responses.

This kind of outburst towards those who attempt to contribute to diagnose and/or solve someone else’s problems doesn’t seem ideal, imho. Unfortunately, I’ve been witnessing this kind of behavior in several threads, hence the reply here.

2 Likes

As I pointed out you have not said in sufficient detail what
behavior you are looking for, and how your working environment is
configured…
Nor have you said what “tried all that” means and how it failed to
deliver.
No one can help you if you will not provide enough information.

I do not agree, and it was unwarranted in that circumstance.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
2 Likes

Agreed… but in context with @cayce’s general behavior, it was long overdue. And if he was actually humble enough to absorb it, it would change his life very much for the positive.

off-topic olive branch

He/his? DMs are open darlin’ :smirk_cat:

1 Like