Help Compiling Qubes Video Companion

Can someone please walk me through compiling and installing qubes video companion?

I absolutely love Qubes, but I don’t love not being able to use my webcam (Logitech C922 Pro Stream).

I don’t have a sys-usb qube because I’m pretty sure my laptop uses the same usb controller for all my usb ports (except usb-c) as well as my internal keyboard, so Qubes Video Companion should be the solution I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance :smiling_face:

1 Like

Just bought a new computer, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 and still no webcam. Anyone willing/able to help? Thx

It’s been almost 2 weeks and no reply. I’m most of the way there, just looking for a little input to getting things sorted the right way. It goes without saying that Qubes is amazing, but not having a working webcam is far from optimal to say the least.

Last call. Looking for community support if it’s out there.

Anyone with the chops willing to help?

Why is it you can’t use sys-usb?

I don’t know anything about the video companion, but has anyone worked on the project for the last two years?

Thanks for the reply!

I set up a sys-usb with my Asus ROG Strix and it didn’t detect my Logitech 922 usb webcam or the built-in webcam. I just bought a new Lenovo ThinkPad Carbon Gen 9 and it didn’t set up the sys-usb automatically again because I have a usb keyboard, webcam, and mouse.

Looking into the issue, I found this: I cannot use my (good) Logitech 922 USB Webcam - #28 by icequbes1

Am I missing something here?

Also…

Yes, it’s actively being developed and although it missed inclusion in 4.1, it is set for inclusion in an upcoming update. https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/i-cannot-use-my-good-logitech-922-usb-webcam/1448/52

If I had seen your post I would have tried to help. Unfortunately my usb-devices are all recognized by sys-usb, so I don’t have experience in this field.

1 Like

I think you need to set up sys-usb manually USB qubes | Qubes OS

And this is what you need to do if you lock yourself out of your system Autostart troubleshooting | Qubes OS

Don’t know if that will make you webacm work, but it should make sys-usb work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion and the links. I did that with my Asus ROG strix and it didn’t detect my Logitech 922 usb webcam or the internal one. I will try it again with (this) my new computer. However, I know that qubes-video-companion has been confirmed to work with Logitech 922 and it is set for inclusion in an update so I’m in the middle of compiling it and wanted a little input.

All good. Thanks for replying!

Hi ava.

I watch excellent Qubes 2021 virtual mini-summit “A brief history of USB camera support in Qubes OS” by @pietrushnic with excitement. See in Cannot use a USB camera · Issue #4035 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub mention C922. Was think to buy C922 Pro Stream myself since @elliotkillick list in Qubes-Video-Companion HCL. You seem to know this and are way ahead. Sorry you have trouble and I have no “chops” only interest.

Awesome @Demi wrote it didn’t make the R4.1 release. It will be in an update, though. Maybe easier soon?

Success? What kind of input? Please share more if have time.

1 Like

I watched the same summit. It was really good. I’m a fan of the C922 Pro, the quality and field of view is spot on for what I need. It’s very popular, as you know. Thanks for the interest.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was using an Asus GL553V without an external usb keyboard. When I installed Qubes on this machine, the installer didn’t automatically create a sys-usb qube, and my webcams (both internal and external) weren’t showing up in Qubes Devices, so I manually created a sys-usb qube following the excellent user documentation here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#qubes-41-how-to-enable-a-usb-keyboard-on-a-separate-usb-controller.

After getting locked out of my computer, I followed this guide https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/autostart-troubleshooting/ to get back in. I then set things up for my mouse and internal keyboard to always pass-through since the Asus apparently just had one (shared) usb bus.

Even with the sys-usb qube, both my internal and external webcams were not still not detected in Qubes devices.

My older Asus with 16GB of RAM wasn’t really getting me where I wanted to go (for my needs) using Qubes as a daily driver, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. I bought a new external mechanical keyboard (with Cherry MX blues) :relieved:, mouse. and Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 9 with an 11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 and 32GB RAM.

Because I had my external keyboard and mouse plugged in when I installed Qubes on my new machine it didn’t create a sys-usb qube again. And again, after installing, there were no webcams detected in Qubes devices.

I thought the qubes-video-companion would be an essential solution after reading this post: I cannot use my (good) Logitech 922 USB Webcam - #8 by Wikinaut, so I downloaded and compiled the RPM from git.

Before I installed everything in dom0, I created a sys-usb qube.

This time I could see both my webcams in Qubes devices, but even after mounting each of them to the destination Qube, they would not stay connected to my video conferencing software for more than a flash of a second. I kept getting a “there is a problem with your webcam” error in cheese and it would eject the mount.

So, I gave it one last go and decided to follow the advice in this post, Unable to connect my Webcam to any AppVM; connects and then fails - #13 by oijawyuh. I increased the initial memory of sys-usb qube from the default setting to 1024 mb in Qubes Manager everything worked!

Problem solved.

I’m definitely going to keep an eye out for Qubes Video Manager’s inclusion in a coming update; it looks amazing! However, it turned out to not be a necessary solution for me and my hardware.

I think it would be beneficial if there was something in the install instructions that would educate people about the sys-usb qube, reasons why it might not be auto-created, and how this affects webcams…both internal and external.

Anyway…hope this helps!

Thx again to everyone who replied :smiling_face:

2 Likes