I cannot use my (good) Logitech 922 USB Webcam

I tried this - no success.

I tried connecting all devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam) via an USB-3 hub to one USB of my NUC: negative.

Get over it! This is how Qubes works. I wasted 3 month with GPSD and GPS clock to make it work. It worked for 3 month and than an update…

You have the correct idea to use another distribution as HVM with strict resetting. Parrot with gnome-software and firewalld works the best. Do not use apt for updates just gnome-software. You can use apt for package installation. The most interference free download is through keybase.io https://keybase.pub/qubes_i2p/
You can install keybase in temp whonix-ws. Or you can download with scurl-download. Move Parrot.iso from one VM to another for security purposes.

How are you making this determination? Based on lsusb, dmesg, or the devices widget?

Yes, yes, yes.

It’s in the thread.
No webcam in VM Videoconferences

Did you enable the USB keyboard; it was not clear if you’ve followed that or not?

Here is my take on your situation:

1. You have two USB controllers
  2. You have a sys-usb qube, but it only sees one of those USB controllers
  3. dom0 sees the other, as you’re using a USB keyboard and dom0 owns that controller

The above means that any USB device attached to the same USB controller as your USB keyboard will not be available for attachment into other qubes, as it is owned by dom0. It appears all your USB ports are connected to the same USB controller as your USB Keyboard, so this ultimately means the only usable external USB device is your USB keyboard + mouse in your current situation.

In order to attach USB devices to other qubes, you must have a sys-usb qube. Given your current situation, you would also need to assign perform the “USB Keyboard” setup, described here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#enable-a-usb-keyboard-for-login (please read all of this to understand implications)

In dom0 you would run:

qvm-remove sys-usb
sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.usb-keyboard

Check the settings of sys-usb and verify the Devices tab shows both USB controllers assigned. Verify the following commands yield no results:

sudo grep rd.qubes.hide_all_usb /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

If they don’t, don’t reboot just yet. Otherwise reboot, start sys-usb and see if the camera is now available in the devices widget.

Check the settings of sys-usb and verify the Devices tab shows both USB controllers assigned.

No. Only one.
I added the second, and now I cannot use my Qubes system any more —> as it does not accept my password or any keyboard input!

Pls. assist.

Help is needed. I cannot access my Qubes after booting and after successfully unlocking the disk.
The USB keyboard is apparently now not connected any more to the dom0.

How to fix that?

basically, I am HERE:

Can’t use keyboard or mouse after creating sys-usb

You risk locking yourself out of your computer if you have a USB keyboard and use full disk encryption alongside sys-usb. On boot, the keyboard may be inactive, preventing you from entering your LUKS decryption password.

I can unlock my disk but I cannot enter characters to the user login screen.

pls. assist.

Did you actually read the page referred to in the thread?

Do you use uefi or legacy boot?
This has come up quite recently in the forum: look for “locked USB
keyboard” or similar

UEFI Boot.

Oops, sorry that happened, that’s why I indicated not to reboot, but I suppose you have a separate issue that qubesctl doesn’t handle - sys-usb not booting.

1. Do you see any errors at boot indicating an issue with sys-usb starting? You may have to hit escape after typing your disk password.

2. What template do you have for your “default template”? Is it a minimal template, not Fedora, or not Debian?

I suspect your sys-usb qube isn’t starting, doesn’t have qubes-input-proxy-sender installed, or has some other unknown issue.

If that is the case, reboot and append the following to the kernel command line:

qubes.skip_autostart

If you’re booting with UEFI, you’ll have to use a LiveCD to boot, then edit your EFI System Partition’s /EFI/qubes/xen.cfg file. (example)

This should let dom0 keep ownership of the controller and allow login using the USB keyboard. If you’re able to login, then disable auto start of sys-usb using the sys-usb settings, and you can re-edit (as root) /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg and remove qubes.skip_autostart.

1 Like

Many thanks.
Will apply the mentioned steps some hours later.

So. Now I have my Qubes up and running again, thanks.

What can I do to get the LOGITECH 922 Webcam working, are there any ideas left?

Hello @noti2p, is there anything you can recommend to me to try to get the webcam working with Qubes?

Hello dear all, is there now anything left, I mean, is there any further proposal how to overcome the problem of not being able to use my USB Logitech Webcam with Qubes on my Intel NUC computer?

@Wikinaut did you ever get around to trying a HWM with one of your USB controllers assigned to it (not the one with keyboard/mouse!)? That’s the closest you could get to a native Linux install and it usually works.

The other option would be to try the R4.1 Alpha of Qubes (dom0 is based on a much newer version of Fedora)

Is there a way to upgrade to that R4.1 Alpha version?

Is there a way to upgrade to that R4.1 Alpha version?

Nope. Needs to be a fresh install. But you could backup/restore your qubes.

I installed that version. Same. I do not see the USB Webcam. I now also tried a simple USB Headphone (Sennheiser PC25) with integrated USB soundcard → this is also not detected as USB.

Only USB memory sticks are detected as usual.