Failed to start qubes-vm@sys-net.service. Qubes no longer boots

Hi. My Qubes OS system crashed. I was no longer able to boot into my system. I didn’t do anything exceptional prior to this happening. This is the second time that this happens. I was able to boot into a prior kernel (boot options). But after that, I just reinstall Qubes OS because I don’t know what went wrong. Is anyone else experiencing this? This was the message I got:

Try to boot with disabled qubes autostart and then check the logs:

We can’t help you debug this now you reinstalled so I guess we will never know.

I had the same issue. Mine started after I tried to switch my sys-net vm to a new template.

I was able to follow the autostart troubleshooting guide posted here and get back in to the system.

When I try to use the gui Template Manager I get the error “virt_mode PVH require kernel to be set”

That setting seems to be what broke it. If helpful, I can explain in more detail why I wanted to change my system or how I managed to break it.

I’m going to poke around and see if I can fix it, but if you have a suggestion, I’d be happy to try it.

Have you checked the kernel setting in the global config? Also, is sys-net trying to run as HVM or PVH?

By Template Manager you mean Qubes Template Switcher that is used to change the template that is used by the qubes or Qubes Template Manager that is used to download/install/remove templates?
There is an issue with wrong name in Qubes Template Switcher window title so it’s confusing:

Are you unable to open Qubes Template Switcher and you’re getting the “virt_mode PVH require kernel to be set” error when you try to open it or are you getting this error when you try to change sys-net template from the new non-working template to the old one?
Are you able to change sys-net template from the new non-working template to the old one in sys-net Settings?

I did see the kernel setting in the global config. It seems I inadvertently switched it as I was using my scroll wheel. When I changed it to the newest one, some of my problems went away. I was able to run about 40% of an update until I got a curl error.

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the names. I was using the template manager “template manager”. I was able to change the template to a new one and attempted to upgrade the old fedora-39-xfce template thinking that was part of the problem. It has been acting very odd and not completing updates but always saying it needed to.

Half way through the update it failed and the system locked. When I restarted it this morning it is now giving me a

ERROR: Logical Volume ‘vm-sys-net-private-snap’ already exists in volume group ‘qubes_dom0’

My sys-usb vm loads but not sys-net, sys-firewall, or sys-whonix.

I’m learning a lot about the qubes architecture, but I kinda need to be working on other projects now. She is my daily driver.

1 Like

I was just reading that one. I tested it out and it seems to be working so far. Thank you for the help.