SUPER weird Qubes Behavior!

I been using qubes for months, was working fine

All of the sudden it became slow, whonix stopped working, I even tried fresh install and different stable versions and the issues persisted, I installed a different is on same storage medium and the OS runs fine… I’m going crazy here like do I have some sort of firmware backdoor? I can’t use my laptop since a month if I’m using Qubes although it was working fine on Qubes for so long

Thinkpad 20FRS19N00

I’m currently booted up with non functioning Whonix, that refuses to boot up and Qubes messed up my other boot entries, this has been the worst experience I had with an OS and it’s not my fault, I have not changed anything in bios to cause this abnormality, replies take forever on this platform… I have a job and I only got a laptop which I desprstly need

Do you have by any chance a message during boot time similar to what I shared here: Failed to start qubes-vm@sys-net.service. Qubes no longer boots ?

“Qubes status: sys whoniz has failed to start cannot connect to qrex for 60 secds”

I’m thinking CMOS reset or whatever’s fuck I’m so pissed, I loved this system but now it’s being weird all of then sudden it makes no sense to me

I suspect firmware backdoor, no way qubes all of the sudden becomes same consistent shitty speed on same ssd, different versions stable and testing,I have never messed with bios and the system suddenly started being bipolar, I tried restarting whonix several times and I’m stuck at %10, I tried bridge and fuck all same issue, only connection through sys firewall works (system is extremely slow)

If many people face similar issues - and I have faced sudden crippling system problems twice in recent months - the explanation could be more benign.

Like you, I have one laptop that I need to work on and do not have time for troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Try CMOS reset I guess, I’m gonna try that rn

Did nothing, same issue, whonix won’t start and everything is laggy

You should try to remove whonix and install it again, and see if it helps.

If you used another storage medium and it’s working fine/better, maybe your storage is dying.

How long should a 200gb ssd last for qubes?

Whonix reinstall did nothing, it can’t be the motherboard, or hardware, previously qubes ran perfectly smooth, could be SSD like you said, I don’t have another right now I will see at some point, I love qubes

Whonix reinstall did nothing, it can’t be the motherboard, or hardware, previously qubes ran perfectly smooth, could be SSD like you said, I don’t have another right now I will see at some point, I love qubes

Strange things is that laptop is like few months old, is qubes that ruff on disks usually? I doubt it, could be shitty ssd or fault of ssd I guess… Although it “was” rlly fast

I can suggest you to try the older kernel versions.
Or install the old Qubes OS 4.2 version that worked for you without this issue for a test (don’t update the system after install for a test).
Maybe some package was updated to the new version and it created this issue.

a faulty ssd could happen at anytime, issues aren’t always related to cells wearing

1 Like

Samsung 980 & 990 M.2 SSD are known for early fails and some OEM builders have stopped purchasing them for new builds. I do not know if any of the firmware updates work as I have avoided purchasing these drives.

1 Like

Not relevant, think of it this way, multiple versions stable and non were fine, then all of the sudden non of them work smoothly, it’s most likely faulty ssd…

If the issue happened all of a sudden and not after some dom0/template update then it’s really not relevant and high chance is a problem with hardware.
If you have some other laptop/PC you can check your ssd with Qubes OS installed there.

I have checked ssd health and everything is fine ,I tried different OS without any issues, got any idea while qubes even on fresh install acts like this since a while? Makes no sense

@appartus