Does Qubes support 4K displays?

After going through 2 weeks of Qubes 4.1 installation saga I was able to run OS on my brand new laptop.

But there is another problem. Ancient Xfce desktop environment does not support 4K displays.

Everything is so small that it is hardly possible to use my laptop.

I tested Kubuntu and it was capable of running UHD displays with scaling option. However, I found out that KDE support in Qubes is abandoned.

Can we expect that 4K UHD displays will not be supported in QubesOS 4.1?

PS: I know there is a way to install it, but it is difficult and buggy.

1 Like

So, why 4K OLED is the future?

Some specs of my Samsung panel:

• 10bit color depth
  • 1 000 000 : 1 contrast ratio
  • DCI-P3 wide colour gamut
  • 100% sRGB, 89% AdobeRGB, 99% P3, 87% NTSC
  • factory color correction with an average Delta-E value of <1

For the price of a laptop starting from $1100

@tvori-dobro:

Ancient Xfce desktop environment does not support 4K displays.

That is non-sense.

Settings | Appearance | Fonts … set the DPI to e.g. 138 (in case of a 32" 4K display)
Settings | Window Manager | Style … set theme to Default-hdpi or if you are on a smaller screen Default-xhdpi

That’s dom0.

Fedora templates: /etc/X11/Xresources … add or set Xft.dpi: 138 (or whatever matches your screen)
Debian templates: /etx/X11/Xresources/x11-common … same

If you have gnome-settings or another settings daemon installed in your templates (e.g. Fedora) you can either uninstall it and be done (my recommendation) or you need to install gnome-tweaks and run it in every single one of your qubes once to set the DPI there (annoying and same result as just uninstalling gnome-settings and rely on the Xft.dpi set earlier).

Everything is so small that it is hardly possible to use my laptop.

Yes, XFCE does not autodetect … you need to tell it.

And Qubes OS doesn’t attempt to do this because the setting is needed on each qube and depends on what you installed there (see above).

I tested Kubuntu and it was capable of running UHD displays with scaling option.

Scaling is just a GUI metaphor for DPI.

I write this on a 32" 4K display using XFCE and debian-minimal qubes. It works perfectly. Just follow the steps I outlined above.

8 Likes

I’m using a 55" 4k display with minimal problems.

1 Like

Removed the “(NO)” from thread title as it is clearly incorrect and misleading.

I am on Qubes 4.1 release and have a similar issue. I went through your suggestions and they work but not consistently. My “Personal” and “Vault” Qubes have the same template which I set Xresources to a DPI of 120-160 and removed gnome-control-center. Sometimes the same application will look great with proper pitch font and sometimes not between the 2 Qubes. It seems to be that I have to do a shutdown and start to get the setting to apply.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, any suggestions on what the best video card money can buy for Qubes would be? For optimal performance on 5K displays and still we do not need a “real” GPU and better if it is supported out of the box.

Thanks for the Guide!
Is it also possible to change the icon sizes for ‘systray’ icons? If I set the XFCE panel settings to a larger row size, most elements size up accordingly. However in the ‘systray’ only the volume icon sizes up accordingly. All other icons (icons from other vm’s like sys-net and whonix, qubes widgets(devices, clipboard, disk, qubes update, manager) and xfce power manager icon) stay small.

Hi all, I am running Qubes 4.2, and am running into very annoying issues after sleep/wake cycles, and I was wondering if others running 1 or more 4k screens were seeing similar issues, and if not what they’ve done to prevent these (if anything).

context:
under Qubes 4.1, I was already running into this issue to some extent, but Qubes 4.2 behavior actually seems worse when I’d expect it to be better (due to newer dom0 fedora).

I’m running into a new issue in Qubes 4.2, namely that once my PC (with a double 4k display connected) wakes back up with windows open in the left/primary screen, those windows are ‘destroyed’ and dom0 refuses to show anything from that VM until I restart the VM. Oddly, when a window was open on the right/second screen, that doesn’t cause that issue, and minimized windosw on the left screen also don’t cause this to happen.
The issue of open windows being ‘destroyed’ also happens to me with a single 4k display enabled, though it takes a few more display sleep/wake cycles (also seeing the issue that I also ran into in R4.1 that after 1 or 2 sleep/wake cycles I would no longer be able to click in VM windows on the second display until VM restart). dom0 being fine.

This suggests to me that it’s an issue with memory filling up.
For reference: i have set gui-videoram-min to 132637 (tried a 4x4k total videoram size to see if that would avoid the issue, as I have 64GB ram and so don’t care too much about the overhead anyway).

Does anyone else recognize these issues at all?