Does Qubes support 4K displays?

After going through 2 weeks of Qubes 4.1 installation saga I was able to run OS on my brand new laptop.

But there is another problem. Ancient Xfce desktop environment does not support 4K displays.

Everything is so small that it is hardly possible to use my laptop.

I tested Kubuntu and it was capable of running UHD displays with scaling option. However, I found out that KDE support in Qubes is abandoned.

Can we expect that 4K UHD displays will not be supported in QubesOS 4.1?

PS: I know there is a way to install it, but it is difficult and buggy.

1 Like

So, why 4K OLED is the future?

Some specs of my Samsung panel:

• 10bit color depth
  • 1 000 000 : 1 contrast ratio
  • DCI-P3 wide colour gamut
  • 100% sRGB, 89% AdobeRGB, 99% P3, 87% NTSC
  • factory color correction with an average Delta-E value of <1

For the price of a laptop starting from $1100

@tvori-dobro:

Ancient Xfce desktop environment does not support 4K displays.

That is non-sense.

Settings | Appearance | Fonts … set the DPI to e.g. 138 (in case of a 32" 4K display)
Settings | Window Manager | Style … set theme to Default-hdpi or if you are on a smaller screen Default-xhdpi

That’s dom0.

Fedora templates: /etc/X11/Xresources … add or set Xft.dpi: 138 (or whatever matches your screen)
Debian templates: /etx/X11/Xresources/x11-common … same

If you have gnome-settings or another settings daemon installed in your templates (e.g. Fedora) you can either uninstall it and be done (my recommendation) or you need to install gnome-tweaks and run it in every single one of your qubes once to set the DPI there (annoying and same result as just uninstalling gnome-settings and rely on the Xft.dpi set earlier).

Everything is so small that it is hardly possible to use my laptop.

Yes, XFCE does not autodetect … you need to tell it.

And Qubes OS doesn’t attempt to do this because the setting is needed on each qube and depends on what you installed there (see above).

I tested Kubuntu and it was capable of running UHD displays with scaling option.

Scaling is just a GUI metaphor for DPI.

I write this on a 32" 4K display using XFCE and debian-minimal qubes. It works perfectly. Just follow the steps I outlined above.

4 Likes

I’m using a 55" 4k display with minimal problems.

1 Like

Removed the “(NO)” from thread title as it is clearly incorrect and misleading.