Can't install in templates

When I try to run apt update as root in a debian 10 minimal template (or deb 11 non-min), I get this:

Err:1 Index of /debian buster InRelease
Reading from proxy failed - read (104: Connection reset by peer) [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
Err:2 Index of /r4.0/vm/ buster InRelease
Reading from proxy failed - read (104: Connection reset by peer) [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
Err:3 Index of /debian-security buster/updates InRelease
Reading package lists… Done
W: Failed to fetch https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/InRelease Reading from proxy failed - read (104: Connection reset by peer) [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
W: Failed to fetch https://deb.debian.org/debian-security/dists/buster/updates/InRelease Reading from proxy failed - read (104: Connection reset by peer) [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
W: Failed to fetch https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.0/vm/dists/buster/InRelease Reading from proxy failed - read (104: Connection reset by peer) [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Might be related to the same thing that breaks my internet every night… if you think so, look up I lose internet every night

First, I’m not sure if you’re already aware, but it is not recommended to normally update from the TemplateVM.

Warning: Updating with direct commands such as qubes-dom0-update, dnf update, and apt update is not recommended, since these bypass built-in Qubes OS update security measures. Instead, we strongly recommend using the Qubes Update tool or its command-line equivalents, as described below. (By contrast, installing packages using direct package manager commands is fine.)

Anyway, have you rebooted the TemplateVM since reconnecting to your network? That might be worth a try if you haven’t already.

I definitely rebooted at least one of those templates while connected to my (wired) network, before running the command.

Note that this problem also happens in a standalone VM I just created (to try to skirt this, but no dice).

@tech3599 Does my default-mgmt-dvm need to have a netVM specified? I’m not able to update using the qubes-update-gui either (at least for Fedoras, which are the ones pending updates).

Does my default-mgmt-dvm need to have a netVM specified?

No

I’m not able to update using the qubes-update-gui either (at least for Fedoras, which are the ones pending updates).

What’s the contents of your [dom0] /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy ?

Thanks, I had sys-net in there still, even though I have deleted or renamed it since. Updating /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy to have deb-net did indeed fix the problem, and maybe my nightly internet problem too!

1 Like

The first few weeks of using Qubes I renamed my templates and appvm like, uppercase letters, or sys-01-net-wired, sys-02-firewall, sys-03-vpn, sys-04-vpn-tools. It was easier to follow off the menu in sequential order. I wasn’t sure if linkages would be broken so I kept all the names oem.