Anyone got an AppVM or Debian standalone solution for Mullvad VPN?

On 4.2.1

Has anyone got a solution to setting up a Mullvad VPN connection with either an AppVM or Debian standalone qube?

I only ask because of the updates. Fedora gets update very frequently. Having to do that often for a standalone as well as the template is a bit of a pain.

A Debian standalone might be a good solution since it updates far less.

I know there is an appVM based solution but it also uses MirageOS, which has its own problems with updates (github based). I know there is this solution but it is standalone.

Anyone tried?

You can try to install Mullvad VPN app in template and add the path to its configuration files (if they’re outside of /home or /usr/local) to bind-dirs in AppVM based on this template.

my first thought is how would i find the configuration files? I’ve never had to do that before.

You can also check the modified files using this command:

sudo find / -printf "%TY-%Tm-%Td %TT %p\n" | sort -n

I have a salt based solution here which creates a
Mullvad proxy, as well as a disposable template, and is Debian based.
It’s packaged as a rpm, as discussed here, so you can simply
install the package and the template and qubes will be created.
The disposable has the Mullvad VPN GUI and the Mullvad browser. (You can
use the browser with the VPM or without.)

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

thanks I’ll look at that

If you need help with the salting, or with installation of the package,
just shout.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

I’ve tried doing this using your instructions. I get as far as trying to download the rpm - I can’t see it on Index of /rpm/r4.1/current/dom0/fc32.

Is it 3isec-qubes-sys-vpn-1.4-1.fc32.x86_64.rpm? I thought that sounded a bit generic but you had been quite specific about Mullvad, and there’s a mullvad file on github.

The instructions in " Installing the tool" section are for Qubes OS 4.1, for Qubes OS 4.2 the instructions will be the same but you’ll need this package instead:
https://qubes.3isec.org/rpm/r4.2/current/dom0/fc37/3isec-qubes-task-manager-0.2-1.x86_64.rpm

As you are on 4.2 you should use the Index of /rpm/r4.2/current/dom0/fc37.
The file is 3isec-qubes-mullvad-vpn-2023.6-2.fc37.x86_64.rpm

My bad for the failed doc update

No, they are trying to download the MullvadVPN package without using the
tool.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

There’s also this timeless tutorial:

I’m embarrassed to say I am stuck on verification:

$ gpg --verify armored-keys.asc 3isec-qubes-mullvad-vpn-2023.6-2.fc37.x86_64.rpm
gpg: verify signatures failed: Unexpected error

Also tried in gpg2.

One source I read says I should be looking for a detached signature, but you haven’t mentioned that and I can’t see it anywhere. I’m getting nowhere.

The key is definitely imported and gives the right fingerprint. Piping the .rpm file to more shows readable text for the description, so I don’t think its corrupted.

This is all in a dispVM. I will have to shutdown soon, so I will start again afresh in a few hours.

I installed mullvad-vpn using qubes-task-gui in r4.2, but am not able to run the Mullvad Browser in the disposable vm. Selecting Mullvad Browser in the start menu will open a dispvm, which promptly shuts down. I also tried using qvm-run -v … with the same result and no feedback. Opening a terminal in the dispvm and running ./start-mullvad-browser.desktop throws the error “no such file or directory”. while cd to /home/user/.local/share/applications/ and running ./start-mullvad-browser.desktop results in “permission denied”. I tried removing --detach from the file, as described in another thread, but to no effect. Not sure what else to try, so would appreciate any suggestions.

I was able to connect the vpn in sys-mullvad without any issues, but the browser wouldn’t run there either.

you cannot just verify the file with gpg commands because the signature
is not of the entire .rpm file. Instead, the signature is only associated
with the critical portions of the package.

Use the right tool:

rpm --import KEY
rpm -K PACKAGE

The output should show SIGNATURES OK

Alternatively, rpm -qi PACKAGE will show the key used to sign the
package.
On the Signature line you should see Key ID fdd1b8244731b36c for my
packages, as explained here

I’ll look at this.

Works for me.
Browser opens and runs independently in both sys-mullvad and disposables.

What version do you have installed?
Were there any issues on the install?

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

Okay, making progress now. Thankyou.

However, while I get the signature, your other instruction isn’t working, or I am misinterpreting it (so I guess others will too):

On the Signature line you should see Key ID fdd1b8244731b36c. This is the signing sub key of my Qubes OS signing key - you can confirm this with
gpg --edit-key unman

gpg --edit-key unman
gpg (GnuPG) 2.4.4; Copyright (C) 2024 g10 Code GmbH
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

gpg: key "unman" not found: No public key

Tried also with gpg --edit-key RPM-GPG-KEY-unman

I just don’t know enough to intuit what you mean.

But I trust the fingerprint matching your instructions.

Thankyou.

Let me clean up yesterday’s ramblings.