Why does sys-usb need so much RAM?

On the old computer and Qubes 4.1 there were never any problems with video conferences (with webcam and USB headset). Now (on Qubes 4.2) the system freezes for minutes when the webcam and USB headset from sys-usb are attached to the conference VM and then started to be used. It got much better when I allocated 3000 MB RAM to sys-usb. Since then I have been able to write in a text editor in another VM during the conference. But at some point no new windows can be opened. There still seems to be too little RAM. How can I solve this?

1 Like

I am personally using a Fedora minimal template and use it as the template for sys-usb. The allocated memory for sys-usb is 400MB for initialmem. Maxmem is irrelevant here as it is an HVM. But I am suspicious that your issue might be beyond memory allocation. As even the xfce template should work well with 2GB

1 Like

I use a debian minimal template as template for sys-usb.

1 Like

The I would suggest running top (or htop if you have it installed) and analyze memory usage per process to find the culprit.

1 Like

That sounds weird. Why would sys-usb’s RAM be relevant when the devices are passed through to another domain?

Just as a confirmation, when my audio devices are passed to my sys-audio, sys-audio’s memory is used, not sys-usb’s.

Are you sure that the source of your problem is not in the conference system?

1 Like

I had the same problem when I was using a phone call app with a usb headset only. In this case the problem disappeared when I gave sys-usb 3000 MB RAM.

Earlier before sys-usb had only 400 MB of RAM. Until then I had the problems even if I only used USB disks.

1 Like

You can try Qubes Video Companion:

Video devices are also performance-critical: as shown by Qubes Video Companion, transmitting video using qrexec is much faster and has lower latency than USB pass-through does.

4 Likes

Great, this works for me. And it seems to be more secure. Can I also use qubes video companion for an usb headset?

1 Like

Maybe if you configure sys-usb as audiovm for your conferences qube:

1 Like