I didnt realised that the mailing list was still in use, I tought it was over since a long time.
Having the maling list and also qubesos forum split a lot the Qubes OS community, it make it harder to share information and from helping each other.
I just never even used mailing list of my life, all software/open-source/security community I joined just never used it. But worste that that you need a google account to join it in the case of QubesOS. And in a community that value a bit privacy and the use of open source software it’s seems like a odd situation.
The interface is ugly, it’s hard to find information, it’s split de community, we need a google account and it’s an old way to communicate not efficient at all. When are we going to do the 100% switch on this forum ?
Several step can be taken to help this transition :
- Change de description in top of the maling list and include a link to the forum
- Annonce every month on the mailing list that using the forum is preferred
- Put a dead line in a long time that the mailing list will not be use anymore, like in end of 2023 for exemple
- For anyone that is using both the maling list and the forum, include a link of the forum at the end of a reply
- Push the team of QubesOS to use more the forum instead of the mailing list