Using Salt to install packages in template VM (simple example)

Backstory

I’ve been wanting to use Salt Stack for a long time to provision new Qubes templates but never seemed to get around to it. Perhaps because the official Salt docs are not great or perhaps because I got sidetracked into bigger Qubes + Salt possibilities.

Today I decided to just buckle down and focus on a narrow, simple task: Use Salt to install packages into a new template VM (already existing on my machine). I usually do this manually, using a text file I maintain with instructions and lists of packages, typing and pasting things into the terminal.

Being focused helped me cut through all the complexity of Salt and finally get something done.

I’m a beginner

These are literally my first Salt files, I am open to feedback. Hopefully this helps other newbs. That said these are tested and do work for me.

Howto

Let’s assume you have a list of packages to install in one or more template VMs. Let’s assume for purposes of this guide that you call the list fedora-general. This is a conceptual name and is not used to select templates so it can be anything. Just know that anywhere you see “fedora-general” here, replace with your own name if different. (I chose this name because I always have a fedora template ending “-general” - “fedora-33-general”, “fedora-34-general” and so forth. In these I install broadly useful packages.)

1. State file

Make a salt state file in dom0 at /srv/salt/fedora-general.sls that looks like this (replace the packages with your own choices, obviously):

#salt state file

fedora-general-enable-repos: #state-id
  cmd.run: #execution module
    - name: sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-free-updates rpmfusion-nonfree rpmfusion-nonfree-updates && sudo dnf upgrade -y --refresh #parameter

#you can have multiple states in a file. I think (?) they are applied
#in the order they appear in file.

fedora-general-installs:
  pkg.installed:
    - pkgs:
      - libreoffice
      - keepassxc
      - emacs 
      - libgnome-keyring
      - inotify-tools
      - seahorse
      - seahorse-nautilus
      - brasero-nautilus
      - xsel
      - zbar
      - evolution
      - aspell-en
      - ruby
      - pavucontrol
      - bind-utils
      - cloc
      - onionshare
      - gimp
      - traceroute
      - whois
      - xclip
      - geteltorito
      - genisoimage
      - java-17-openjdk
      - postgresql
      - python3-psycopg2
      - postgresql-server
      - postgresql-upgrade
      - gpgme
      - dnf-utils
      - python3-gpg
      - youtube-dl
      - transmission
      - zstd
      - libzstd
      - ffmpeg-libs
      - ffmpeg
      - vlc

A Salt State file describes a state you want the machine/VM to reach and is composed of a series of sections like the above:

stateid:
  execution-module:
    - param
    - param

Docs for some of the more interesting execution modules are linked here under “further reading” at the bottom.

2. Top file

Make a salt top file in dom0 at /srv/salt/fedora-general.top that looks like this, replacing “fedora-36-general” with the name of the VM you wish to install packages into:

#top file

base: #environment (always "base"?)
  fedora-36-general: #vm selector (regexes are possible too) (called "target" in salt)
   - fedora-general #sls file reference, omitting ".sls"

If you want to install into multiple VMs, instead of specifying “fedora-36-general” or whatever you can use a regex syntax, described in the “top files” section here.

The top file maps state files to machines, basically.

3. Enable top file

In dom0, run

sudo qubesctl top.enable fedora-general

(The last argument is the name of your top file minus “.top”)

4. Execute state change

Let’s assume you want to run this state change on a template VM called fedora-36-general, you next should run:

sudo qubesctl --targets=fedora-36-general state.highstate

(You can add additional template vms using commas in --targets=. There are further options, like “all”, in the help for qubesctl. Just make sure these template vms are also selected in your top file above.)

If this works, various VMs will spin up and there will be a delay while everything installs. If there is a failure or an abrupt ending (even if it says “OK”), check the log:

sudo tail -n 100 /var/log/qubes/mgmt-fedora-36-general.log

(replacing “fedora-36-general” with the name of your template vm)

If you get something like State 'foo' in SLS 'bar' is not formed as a list, it means either your YAML is invalid OR that the YAML is valid but does not constitute valid syntax for an SLS file. In my case it gave me this error when I forgot the dash and space before pkgs: in my SLS above.

Further reading

The Qubes docs on Salt are my favorite Salt docs. A nice concise explanation of Salt (better than on the official tutorial) and then a nice explanation of Qubes integration. The Salt docs on package state are linked from the previous and are perhaps useful for customizing the above. The further reading section of the Qubes docs on salt, at the bottom, is also useful.

Annoyances

Why is the big main command called state.highstate? I have no idea. In addition to being redundant (two uses of “state”, why not state.high?), it’s also unclear what “high” means. Are there “low” states? Medium? Why not, like, state.apply? (I know this forum is not the place to complain about this stuff except I think other newbs might feel some comfort at knowing they are not the only ones who wonder what the heck is up with this weird phrasing.)

Also, right now the top file concept feels a little like boilerplate to me. Couldn’t I just invoke the states through a command line composition that specifies machines? Anyway, I’m new, maybe it will all make sense in time as I learn more.

6 Likes

Great example.

If you want to generalise this across different templates you may run
into an issue where different distros have different names for the same
package.
For example, where Fedora has firefox, Debian has firefox-esr
Instead of having a completely separate state for Debian templates, you
can use grains like this in the state:

test_install:
  pkg.installed:
    {% if grains['os_family']|lower == 'debian' %}
    - name: firefox-esr
    {% elif grains['os_family']|lower == 'redhat' %}
    - name: firefox
    {% endif %}

{% and %} delimit jinja statements that will be evaluated before the
state is run.

I’ve got some notes and examples here that you may find helpful.

Yes they are, generally speaking. You can also specify ordering within a state file, if
needed, by explicitly giving an order:

firefox-esr:
  - pkg.installed:
    - order: 1

It’s probably better to specify dependencies between states using a
require statement.

highstate is to do with the layers of the state system. (Given the
obsession with salt metaphors I’m surprised these aren’t called
deposits.)

The lowest level of functionality is a single state function, called like
this state.single pkg.installed name=firefox-esr
When the system compiles data from sls formulas, it generates chunks -
low chunks are at the bottom of the compiler . You can call them with
state.low
Next up is the low state level - this is the list of all low chunks in
order. You use state.lowstate - to see them you have
state.show_lowstate.
At the top level if highstate - this is the data represented in YAML
in sls files. You can view it with state.show_highstate

So that’s why we have highstate.

I much prefer not using highstate when introducing salt to new users,
but using state.apply - this will do the right thing whether you want
highstate or a single sls call.

You can have more than one environment, so not “always base”.
Qubes can be easily configures with a user environment.
qubesctl state.apply qubes.user-dirs
This sets up salt and pillar directories for personal use

Finally, instead of overloading /srv/salt with many files, you can
create structure by creating directories to hold related sls and top
files. You then reference them like this:
cacher.install will get the state file located at
/srv/salt/cacher/install.{sls|top}

I think that salt is easy to learn and apply, and almost any one can use
it to set up their Qube system, (despite the weird vocabulary)

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
3 Likes

Thanks for the great example. I started to read about Salt from the correspondent Qubes-os page but very early moved to Salt official site which tutorials I found were great and more helpful for absolute beginners than Qubes pages.

Trying to help those whostruggle with SaltStack, and have more Salt code and less visual/bash step-by-steps in the forum, I have just created an MIT License repo for the community.

The repo:

If it fits well, please update in the initial message.