Upgraded heads, still cannot install r4.1 on x230 i7

Updated heads to version:

FW_VER: CBET4000 Heads-v0.2.0-1204
Kernal: Linux 4.14.62.heads

Used this install guide exactly:

sudo dd if=Qubes-RX-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdY status=progress bs=1048576 && sync

When booting the laptop

Chose USB boot option.

Selection verbose troubleshooting verbose option.

Get the following:

Loading the new kernel:

kexec -l /media/images/pxeboot/xen.gz --command-line "loglvl=all no-real-mode reboot=no vga=current" --module "/media/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=QUBES-R4-1-0-X86-64 intel_iommu=on intel_iommu=igfx_off " --module "/media/images/pxeboot/initrd.img "
Cannot determine the file type of /media/images/pxeboot/xen.gz

Failed to load the new Kernal
!!! Failed to boot w/ options: Troubleshooting - verbose boot and Install Qubes OS R4.1.0|xen|kernal /images/pxeboot/xen.gz loglvl=all|module /images/pxeboot/vmlinux inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=QUBES=R4-1-0-X86-64|module /images/pxeboot/initrd.img
!!!!! Something failed during USB boot
New value of PCR[4] *redacted* 
!!!!! Starting Recovery shell
~ #

If any typo ignore, I hand typed what I saw on screen.

I tried all the other qubes menu options, doesn’t seem to work and produces same results as above.

Originally I posted here and was told to upgrade heads, now I don’t have the strange screen / graphics issue, but now just a dump to shell: Qubes 4.1 rc1 installer doesn't boot on Thinkpad X230

Any help very much appreciated, would love to get upgraded to 4.1 as many apps are losing support for older qubes.

Thank you.

I don’t have X230, but had similar problems getting installer to boot until i told it to boot from iso.
If you just put the iso and its .asc file on USB and tell heads to boot from that, it can.

dd didn’t work for me either on several USB drives, including brand new ones.

1 Like

Installing now. Thank you. Did not know this method. Guessing because heads is a tiny linux.

1 Like