Turn off Keyring within a Qube?

I’m getting all kinds of errors when trying to save to gnome-keyring. Its turning out to be more hassle than its worth.

How would I turn it off in a debian qube?

1 Like

Experiencing same problem.

I struggled with this as well. There are a few places it will start from. This is what worked for me in Fedora, Debian may be a little different.

sudo mkdir -p /rw/config/qubes-bind-dirs.d
sudoedit /rw/config/qubes-bind-dirs.d/50_user.conf
binds+=( ‘/etc/xdg/autostart’ )
binds+=( ‘/usr/share/dbus-1/services’ )
#restart appVM
sudoedit /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
#delete line 149, Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11
sudoedit /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop
#delete line 148, Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets
sudoedit /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop
#delete line 148, Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=ssh
sudoedit /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.secrets.service
#change line 3, Exec…, to the keyring you want to use.

Still don’t find a way to disable it in Qube, but find a way to make it works. Installing seahorse on VM fixing the saving keyring process. Also you can manage the kerings on VM.

1 Like

Is there a way to pass keyring from dom0 or some keyring Qube to trusted VMs??

I prefer to copy/paste passwords across qubes, but you might want to read this thread with a link to a howto at the end:

1 Like

No such interface “org.freedesktop.Secret.Collection” on object at path /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login

That’s the error I’m getting in Debian.

Drilling down, I can’t find any “org.freedesktop.Secret.Collection” in the qube.
So I can imagine for some reason its not fully installed.

I’ve attempted to re-install gnome-keyring.
It’s showing its installed, with the latest version.

Any other ideas?

Also, I’m only getting this error in debian qubes. Fedora seems to be working.

As I wrote before installing seahorse fix the problem for me. So maybe looking at what is added with this package can point You in some direction.

1 Like

Was this in Debian or Fedora?
I tried installing Seahorse in Debian… still getting the same problem.

On Debian. After that installation I finally can create new keyring without error that “passwords not match” even if their match. My Skype cookie/token or whatever was stored in that keyring and for now it seems to work on that VM. On other VM where I installed spotify I also was able to create keyring without errors and It stores some junk tokens for chrome/chromium which I suspect is part of spotify app code.

I imagine you installed by updating then running:
$ sudo apt-get install seahorse
In the template VM?

I think its something to do with permissions.
Do you know what folders/files would be involved, and what the permissions need to be?

Not really. I just do what You mentioned. Did You restart Your VM?

One thing, I have problems with keyring mainly in standalones where I installed 3rdparty apps. In regular VM I’m not using anything that want to store secrets in keyring so maybe my solution is not good for templates and regular VMs. So You can be right that the problem lies in not persistent files/folders.

I just test it on regular VM in which I add installation of Skype in rc.local. It works as good as in standalone. Popups about creating the keyring on first login to Skype, creating it without errors and on every next run of Skype is just asking for password for keyring.