- Wifi does not work (Fixed in next Kernel)
- Screen tearing during LUKS decrypt when using Hybrid GPU Mode. Switch to Discrete GPU Mode, notes below.
- Have not tested camera or microphone. But microphone is picked up.
I believe the wifi issue is known to the Qubes team and will be fixed soon.
This section might be irrelevant in the future when Nouveau fully supports the RTX 3050ti mobile
Due to the Nvidia GPU not being fully supported by Nouveau, default installation results in a black screen. To fix this follow these steps to disable Nouveau during installation. Installation troubleshooting | Qubes OS
- Troubleshooting guide is a bit confusing. You need to press
eto get into edit mode and then add the parameters after the word
quieton the second last line. Press
control +xto boot!
- GUI rendering will be very slow, have patience
- Make sure you use Hybrid Graphics in the bios
- Consider allocating more memory (512MB) to the integrated GPU for a smoother experience
- Secure boot might need to be disabled
- There is no legacy mode on this device, it is fine to boot in UEFI mode as long as you disable Nouveau in Grub
At the time of writing, on Kernel 5.18.16-1, there are rendering issues. The current workaround is to add the following file into X11. Make sure to reboot afterwards!
Section "OutputClass" Identifier "intel" MatchDriver "i915" Driver "intel" Option "AccelMethod" "sna" Option "TearFree" "true" Option "DRI" "3" EndSection
When using Hybrid Graphipcs Mode, you cannot use your Nvidia GPU at all. This means the HDMI will not work and your screen refresh rate will be limited to 60 HZ. You also cannot change the screen resolution.
You can use the Nvidia GPU, but you must switch to Discrete GPU Mode. This comes at the cost of battery life, but you will get a much smoother experience.
From a fresh installation, I could not get it to work no matter what. But I finally got it to work with the following steps.
- Create the config file above for Intel in X11 (Not sure how this is relevant, but this is what worked for me)
Important - Remove the Nouveau disable in the grub from installation
- In dom0 edit
- Locate the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUXline and remove the parameters you added during the installation to disable Nouveau
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/grub.cfg
- In dom0 edit
- Switch to Discrete GPU Mode in the bios
--- layout: 'hcl' type: 'notebook' hvm: 'yes' iommu: 'yes' slat: 'yes' tpm: 'unknown' remap: 'yes' brand: | LENOVO model: | 21DE003JKR bios: | N3JET24W (1.08 ) cpu: | 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H cpu-short: | FIXME chipset: | Intel Corporation Device [8086:4641] (rev 02) chipset-short: | FIXME gpu: | NVIDIA Corporation GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile] [10de:25a0] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) gpu-short: | FIXME network: | Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01) memory: | 65307 scsi: | usb: | 3 versions: - works: 'FIXME:yes|no|partial' qubes: | R4.1 xen: | 4.14.5 kernel: | 5.18.16-1 remark: | FIXME credit: | FIXAUTHOR link: | FIXLINK ---