ThinkPad T16 AMD Ryzen ACPI issue, no keyboard no touchpad

I have been trying to get Qubes installed on a ThinkPad T16 Gen 1 with AMD CPU for a while. The latest try with Qubes 4.2.0-rc4 was relatively successful, however ACPI needs to be disabled and the onboard keyboard and touchpad do not work. This seems similar to the issues reported at My adventures with Qubes 4.1.1 on a Lenovo T14 Gen 3 - #21 by Scumbag

hcl-report output:

Qubes release 4.2.0-rc4

Brand:     LENOVO
Model:     21CHCTO1WW
BIOS:      R23ET70W (1.40 )

Xen:       4.17.2
Kernel:    6.4.8-1

RAM:       31508 Mb

CPU:
  AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U with Radeon Graphics
Chipset:
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h-19h PCIe Root Complex [1022:14b5] (rev 01)
VGA:
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] [1002:1681] (rev d1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Net:
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 0e)
  Qualcomm Technologies, Inc QCNFA765 Wireless Network Adapter [17cb:1103] (rev 01)

HVM:       Active
I/O MMU:   Active
HAP/SLAT:  Yes
TPM:       Device not found
Remapping: yes
Certified: no

To install, I booted the installer with kernel parameter acpi=off. The installer gives an error about not being able to create the boot entry, but this can be fixed manually with a live CD as mentioned on UEFI troubleshooting | Qubes OS

For booting, the kernel parameter acpi=noirq is required. Without this parameter the laptop reboots immediately after loading the kernel image. To boot to a graphical login screen, it is also required to add the nomodeset kernel parameter.

Probably due to the acpi kernel option, poweroff does not work, neither does the keyboard or touchpad. Current and older versions of Debian and Fedora work fine on this laptop.

I have to idea how to debug the ACPI issue further. Any tips on how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

I tried this and it fixed the kernel issue

Go to rescue mode, ctrl + b write the number thatā€™s listed at the bottom green line that states itā€™s for opening other options, open qubes shell
Write
lsblk
sudo wipefs -a ā€œyour disk name hereā€, for me i had one ssd which had the most storage, i ran the command before the disk block name

Now reboot and go back to re do install procedure, make sure you ā€˜eā€™ to edit grub before enter ibstall option and acpi=off, for me i had to do this since i was getting acpu issue, meaning i had to disable keyboard and mouse to avoid it, i used external hardware to continue install procedure, no kernel issue this time

!!!This is only an alternative if anything, if you donā€™t care about your data being lost!!!

Did you manage to get the internal keyboard working after installation?

1 Like

Yes, i believe it should work for you (canā€™t say know for certain), BUT acpi=off is only temporary while the install is happening, so it will be back to default and your internal keyboard should work normally when the install finishes, give that. Try

It did not work for me, but I see you are using an Intel system, while mine is AMD.

1 Like

Since youā€™re AMD, maybe try amd_iommu=off or iommu=soft