The hypothetical feasabilty of an ARM build

was wondering about the technical considerations and possibility of creating Qubes for ARM. purely hypothetical of course.

1 Like

Some discussion already on this (the best it to always search first):

1 Like

:+1: thanks

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the same thing, I’ve been trying to develop it for Mobile Devices.
I hate having multiple Android Profiles and having to switch between them to get the activation SMS then lose the webpage or program on another profile.
Since the ARMv7 & v8 have virtualisation technologies, that means it is feasible.

So I’m looking at the code and trying to go for an earlier version of QubesOS packages to get it going. While also removing SystemD from the equation.

Going slow to get everything as precise as it needs to be though.

Often at the moment it’s about getting the drivers and all for the actual phone itself so I can have calls, camera, and everything else working.

Building Unix and putting it on is the easy part.

How did this project go? Are you still working on building Qubes for ARM?

I would be doubtful. Porting Qubes OS to another architecture could be an enormous task. It would require a lot of effort and teamwork which demands proper founding. There has been a 3 bitcoin bounty on a ppc64 port since 2018 and it has not materialized.

In the absence of funding we need committed developers.

In cases where people are motivated by bounties etc. they disappear
when the money dries up, or when the rates changes, or for some other
reason.
I feel the same way about documentation for pay.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.
2 Likes