Templates failing to update

Since yesterday, I cannot update any of my templates. After every try I hit the same error:

Updating fedora-39-xfce
Install requirements
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘updates’: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f39&arch=x86_64 [Proxy CONNECT aborted]
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘updates’: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f39&arch=x86_64 [Proxy CONNECT aborted]

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

EDIT: I edited my text as previously I though that only my fedora templates are affected, but unfortunately I have issues with all of them.

Maybe the same issue as here:

1 Like

Thank you! Looks like, although in my case this workaround wasn’t helpful yet, as if I try to restart the update proxy, I’m getting this message:

Failed to restart qubes-update-proxy.service: Unit qubes-update-proxy.service not found.

It doesn’t sounds so heartwarming. :expressionless:

Do you have other templates except for fedora?
What if you change your sys-net to debian template or use sys-whonix for default update proxy for templates instead of sys-net? Will you have the same issue?

1 Like

Maybe relevant, maybe not.

Yesterday, for some reason if I was using sys-cacher updates would fail almost immediately. If I deactivated the cacher (a process which involves both making changes to dom0 and to the template being updated, unfortunately), things would work again. I only had time to update about half of my templates once I did all of that.

A few hours later I was able to turn the cacher on and update everything the normal (for me) way.

1 Like

This was worked!! If I change sys-net to debian template, I can update my qubes. If I switch back, it is the same but for now I can update. Thank you!!

Still have to solve this thing, but it is much less urging now.

You can install new fedora 40 template using Qubes Template Manager and try to use it for your sys-net. Maybe you’ve changed something in your fedora 39 template which is causing this issue.

Maybe you have this issue:

1 Like

I have a similar issue. Over the past few days I cannot update any Fedora or Debian templates. My update proxy is sys-net, which is a disposable based on fedora-39-xfce.

What’s the output of this command in sys-net?

ls -l /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy*

I guess that was it! Problem 90% solved.

First I changed the sys-net template to debian 12 xfce. From there, I installed Fedora 40 xfce and changed everything to there. Now everything works flawlessly again, except one thing: I cannot reinstall debian 12 xfce template. I can update everything, I can reinstall all template, except that.

I’m relieved (thanks for the help!), but still 10% puzzled.

Maybe it’s used by one of the qubes so it can’t be reinstalled?
You can try to switch the qubes from debian 12 xfce template to some other template using Qubes Template Switcher tool and then try to reinstall the debian 12 xfce template.

$ ls -l /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy*
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 37 Mar 13 16:20 /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 May  9 09:00 /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy.rpmnew -> /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/8082

Then you have the same problem that was reported in the github issue that I’ve linked previously.
Run this command in sys-net template ( fedora-39-xfce):

sudo mv /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy.rpmnew /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.UpdatesProxy

Shutdown template, restart sys-net and try again.

1 Like

Thank you very much @apparatus
That fixed the issue for me.

Sorry for the slow answer, had some busy days - I tried this, but still no luck. :frowning: Nothing is using this template, and still cannot reinstall it.

Btw when I try to reinstall it from dom0, this is the error message I got:
“qvm-template: error: Same version of template ‘debian-12-xfce’ not found.”

Then just remove the template and install it again instead of reinstall.

1 Like

My output after the above command is;
ls: cannot access ‘/etc/qubes-…’: No such file or directory.
I ran cmd as root too. All my templates are not showing. Help please.

Where did you run this command?

Not showing where? Or not showing what?

My initial install does not show templates, apps nor anything in the Apps/Templates/Service window.