Sound card not detected in HVM

Hello,

Trying to get audio working in a Debian based HVM Qube but the soundcard is not being detected. Is it possible to get audio? I have tried installing intel drivers firmware-intel-sound and rebooting but it still does not recognizes the hardware. Is this an issue which is Qubes related or would it be related to the OS? Have tried using the PVH option but then the Qube fails to boot. This is on Debian-11

Your sound card is attached to dom0 and that’s where pulseaudio runs. If
you want to use it from your Debian HVM you need to install
pulseaudio-qubes there and possibly some other qubes-core-agent- packages.

What is the use case? Why not use the Qubes OS provided debian-11 templates?

Thanks for your response. It’s not Debian but a distro based on Debian so that is the reason why I can’t just use the template. So you are saying I need to add the Qubes repo in order to install the pulseaudio-qubes package (among others) ?

1 Like

Can this be managed using the qubes-gui-agent-linux package?

It’s not Debian but a distro based on Debian so that is the reason
why I can’t just use the template.

In case you are talking about Ubuntu or a Ubuntu-based distribution, see
qubes.3isec.org or build yourself using qubes builder.

In case of Debian-based use

Index of /r4.0/vm/ bullseye main
or
Index of /r4.1/vm/ bullseye main

So you are saying I need to add the Qubes repo in order to install
the pulseaudio-qubes package (among others) ?

Yes. I’d start of with pulseaudio-qubes and see what dependencies it
pulls in. Maybe that one alone will do the trick. However I suspect once
you added the repository and have audio going, you might want some of
the other qubes-core-agent- packages too… for C&P, USB proxy,
send/receive files from/to other qubes etc.

Basically, if your HVM is Debian based you can get all of the Qubes
functionality going this way.

1 Like

Great! Anybody know where I can find the conclusion to this matter? I built a Ubuntu Focal template for about a week somehow by accident after i got hung up at “make qubes-vm”. It works perfect, but no sound. So i spent another week trying to get the sound to work yes ive read every single post about the subject. So i decided to install Ubuntu HVM’S… Ubuntu desktop, peppermint, and studio and no sound on any of those either. Finally i decided maybe an easy way will be remote desktop, so i learned how to connect firewall script the HVM cubes to a dedicated Remina qube only to discover the VNC protocol does NOT offer sound as an option, so i am back reading everything about the sound again. This is all i have left to do, one little thing and i cant do it. Yes I have Pulse Audio installed in Ubuntu Studio HVM but all I get is a “simultaneous” virtual sound card that reflects sound level going out of the HVM but nothing connecting to DOM0… and ive tried a few hundred other things not listed here including almost crashing qubes with a sys-audio cube pci conflict… I have not been able to find ANYWHERE a step by step method of simply connecting either an HVM or a UBUNTU built template to the sound in one place. Ive seen a bit here and there but i just cant do it, ive tried and tried and i cant seem to find anymore anything to work with. Just so everybody knows, this is not my first stop, but my last LOL, if anybody knows the secret i would be delighted to hear it thanks so much.

oh thats right a couple of other small problems i was hoping to undo… I removed the pci devices from the sys-audio qube, but i cant delete it because i get an error saying its in use by the ubuntu appvm from the builder… I always have to use the terminal now to start pulseaudio with the terminal command “pulseaudio --start”… I get sound level meter and a “dummy” virtual sound card with a little x on the speaker icon like its muted or its dumb too LOL Hopefully it wont take a week to undo what took about a week to do. :crazy_face:

by the way, sound works normal for all the default qubes… im Using 4.1.1

I still have a second M.2 drive with windows 10 on it that I am using now but then I need to boot into one operating system or the other and normally im in qubes… plenty of computer power to process video in either an HVM or an Appvm made from builder, of course I prefer the builder appvm because then I can use two monitors… I cant do that with an HVM stand alone. I will be adding two more monitors soon. I still cant find anything about the sound. I am doing a dom0 update today with the others, looks like everything needs an update today… Maybe it will work after that, but i dont think it will, if it does I will come right back here and spread the good news!

Hey everybody how are you doing!? Ok so I just updated dom0 to the latest version as of Thursday October 27th, 2022. I still cant get any sound out of any standalone HVM’s… Also I still cant get any sound out of the ubuntu qube builder template or the appvm that is built from the template that is built from the template builder… They all have only the single virtual output available called “Dummy” output. I dont think its referring to me because I tried everything… Anybody hear of any step by step method of addressing this wonderful problem? Ok thank you very much have a nice day.