Short list of laptops/desktops that work well with Qubes OS

(Updated OP to include a link to the “just works” list.)

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: X1 Carbon (Gen 8)

I remember that I had a previous BIOS version when I installed. Current BIOS was updated later.
One thin I did not mention, but maybe relevant: I decided to use legacy boot, and I think I never investigated UEFI install.

1 Like

Dell E6530 i5 3320M 2.6GHz 16gb Intel graphics

My E6430 is similarly trouble free. I’ll check its specs and post it.

1 Like

I think we forget how much laptop RAM cost.
My guess is that Lenovo certified what they thought users would bear. As
RAM prices dropped, and new models came out, they didn’t go back and recertify.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Lenovo ThinkPad T490

System76 lemur pro
Kde slimbook
Tuxedo infinitybook

All three will future proof you with up to 64gb of RAM

Personally I use the lemur pro with a 10th gen i7 and 40gb or ram. intel me disabled. webcam and microphone and speakers removed I just use headphones plugged into the 3.5mm jack. don’t need fancy hardware switches.
And it is so light even lighter then a MacBook Air.

Cheaper then the librem laptops

It is perfect fo me to use qubes as a daily driver for both personal and commercial work.

In order to add these devices to the short list, we need at least two HCL reports (see the first post here). Would you be able to make one? Also, are they all available for immediate purchase?

Just an idea: make a table with these models specifying a few details, some not so easy to find, eg.: number os USB controllers or number or DIM slots.
I say these a remembered a little detail. Thinkpad X250 was added, and I think it is very solid hardware, but… it has only one DIMM slot. So I get 16G if i buy a reasonobly hard to find 16G module (and expensive too).
Maybe we can make user experience even better (less unknowns before purchase)?

1 Like

Hi @qubicrm,

make a table

That’s how I originally envisioned it, but the forum doesn’t support tables in posts (or at the very least I couldn’t find out how to do it). Of course we could move the list onto a website or a github repository, but having it directly here in the forum with the ability to be edited by community members and commented upon is a big plus I think.

specifying a few details

Ok, so I was able to find this for all computers on the list and I think it should be possible to determine this by web search for other computers too as they are being added.

What other details should we include?

Maybe we can make user experience even better (less unknowns before purchase)?

Well the user could always research those things themselves, but given our target group I like your idea. We need of course then also indicate (maybe through linked documentation) what these data points mean.

1 Like

Maybe we can do something with the ‘details’ feature like this:

ThinkPad Foo (32GB max total memory / 2 slots, 2 USB controllers )
  • CPU A
    mention who uses it, list positive reports etc

• CPU B

ThinkPad Bla (64GB max total memory / 4 slots, 4 USB controllers )
  • CPU A

• CPU B

ThinkPad Blub (20GB max total memory / no slots, 1 USB controllers )
  • CPU A

• CPU B

1 Like

Hi @Brad,

sorry for the delay. I mark all hints I get with a tag and then work them down. In your case that took a little moment.

Dell E6530 i5 3320M 2.6GHz 16gb Intel graphics
We don’t have a single HCL report for this machine. There is one report for a E6530 with an i7-3540M.

Would you submit one for this configuration please? It will then be added to the HCL list on the website and I can then again ‘tag’ it in another list of mine and as soon as we get a second HCL report from a another user confirming it fulfills the criteria it will be included on the “just works” list.

My E6430 is similarly trouble free. I’ll check its specs and post it.
We have HCL reports for the E6430 with i5-3340M, i7-3540M and i3-3110M.

If you can, please submit a HCL report for this machine too. If it happens to match one of the reports we already have we might be able to include it with the “just works” list right away! It would be nice to get some diversity on this list.

Hi @h110w

System76 lemur pro

We have one HCL report for the System76 Lemur Pro with i7-1165G7.

Can you submit another report for this machine or whatever Lemur Pro you have access to please?

Kde slimbook

We have not a single HCL report for this one. If you can help, please do!

Tuxedo infinitybook

We got one HCL report for the Tuxedo InfinityBook 14 v4 with i5-8265U. We need at least to reports for any machine to be included in the “just works” list. However any additional HCLs you can provide are highly appreciated regardless whether they match this particular configuration or not.

Apologies guys I completely missed the point around having 2 HCLs as a requirement.

No worries I will do another HCL for the system76 lemur pro shortly. Although mine is a i7-10510U.

For the kde slimbook and the tuxedo infinity, unfortunately I don’t have access to them to complete the HCL. So disregard my comments there.

Hi guys
just submitted the HCL then

1 Like

It seems to support standard Markdown tables:

Header1 Header2 Header3
data1 data2 data3
data11 data12 data13
1 Like

Thanks @adw … I’ll get on it in the next days! Still doing my other “homework” (VPN/Tor/Whonix etc)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Purism Librem 14 v1

2 posts were split to a new topic: Lenovo ThinkPad T470s

Hello. I have been using Qubes 4.0.4 for a long time on my Thinkpad T430s with 3320M processor, everything is working perfectly, where should I send the hcl?
I recently switched to the beta 4.1 rc version, everything also works perfectly for me there, except for only the keyboard layout, which I created a theme about (4.1 layout does not switch), but I do not think that this is a very serious problem. I can also provide hcl with this version of Qubes.
I have a friend using Qubes on a lenovo g505s laptop, which is completely AMD and has 16 GB of memory, according to his statement, he has 4.0.4 and 4.1 beta working well, I could ask him to provide it hcl

Change: I decided that it was necessary to determine my choice of the t430s model, maybe it will be important for someone when choosing.
The T430s differs from the T430 in its dimensions, the T430 is much lighter and more compact, just as I know it comes with a new keyboard. And at release, the T430s was much cheaper than the T430.
One thing I don’t like about the T430s is that if you want to install coreboot there you may have problems with the chip and you have to re-solder it in order to install coreboot, it can be very difficult for an inexperienced person in these matters.