Short list of laptops/desktops that work well with Qubes OS

Lenovo ThinkPad P51 with i7-7820HQ & HD 630 graphics

In addition to my HCL report, there is an additional report by Michael Holt with the same configuration (he uses the Nvidia card which is also present and verified in my setup).

swami has the same setup as Michael Holt and myself but only submitted an R3.2 HCL report and at that version several workarounds where required. Swami, if you read this and you run R4.x meanwhile please submit a new HCL report to back us up.

Dave C reports with a i7-7700HQ and only mentions the TPM not being recognized (same as Michael and me), but otherwise no issues.

Yannic Schneider reports with a different CPU: Xeon E3-1535M and used Fedora Media Writer to create the ISO … this indicates a changed ISO and therefor doesn’t fulfill the “installs without workarounds” requirement.

2 Likes

Thank you for this initiative! (sorry for polluting the thread without a contribution :wink: )

**Lenovo ThinkPad x220 with i5-2520M **

Max RAM - 16GB
Entries in HCL.

1 Like

**Lenovo ThinkPad x220t with i5-2520M **

Max RAM - 16GB
Tablet fully working connected to sys-usb. (Requires minor configuration
to enable tablet rpc)

**Lenovo ThinkPad x230 with i5-3210M **

Max RAM - 16GB
Entries in HCL

Bumping so @unman can continue replying (see Cant send multiple entries to the new laptop list)

Sven targets on inexperienced users (Win/Mac-Users) whom want as little as possible “effort” to get qubes running, which is a good point and should be kept.

I would additionally list devices (probably marked as “effortful”) that may need easy/well known workarounds, for instance to get qubes installed (black screen issue) or to make sound work, but afterwards run qubes like a charm!

The Lenovo T440s is a good example. You need a kernel parameter to get the installer appear, but thats it, just works!

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing.
Of course, it’s nice that a laptop is working out of the box and lots of (most?) people are looking for such a device.

But there is a growing number of people that likes tinkering with stuff, people who are using a Raspberry Pi or Arduino for small projects. Or people that are just wanting to learn stuff. There are Computer groups in different cities helping people with computer problems or even with flashing Coreboot.

It might be interesting to have a counterpart to Sven’s list or is this unnecessary because what’s not on Sven’s list is being considered as somewhat complicated (more or less)?

Maybe I got you wrong (then please correct me) but what you describe is what the HCL is for, right? “This” list should only include devices that support the current stable without modifications or at most solutions/workarounds like a parameter or additional package (included in qubes stable repo!!!), in other words: easy solutions.

In my opinion a separated list of devices that support the coming stable (R4.1) already or are planned to be supported (if thats the case?) would make sense.

**Lenovo ThinkPad x230 with i7-3520M **

Max RAM - 16GB
Entries in HCL
Base hardware for Certified laptops.

Maybe I got you wrong (then please correct me) but what you describe is what the HCL is for, right? “This” list should only include devices that support the current stable without modifications or at most solutions/workarounds like a parameter or additional package (included in qubes stable repo!!!), in other words: easy solutions.

It’s unlikely that anything on this list WONT support 4.1

“Planned to be supported” is difficult, since 4.1 is still in testing,
and issues might arise that make a 4.1 release not include fixes aimed
at particular hardware.

Perhaps, when we get to rc1 we could try such a list. The machines used
by developers and the new testing team would be a good start.
That said, I wouldn’t want to encourage someone to buy a particular
machine for 4.1 until it had been tested against the final release.

You’re absolutely right. I was thinking too much.

As I wrote to @BigQ … “people that likes tinkering”, “people that are
just wanting to learn stuff” are already well served with the HCL, which
is the “counterpart to Sven’s list” and contains all feedback from all
reporters.

This thread / effort is explicitly about having a list of computers that
will just install Qubes OS and run. For Journalists, Lawyers, Activists,
Stalking victims, Women, Grandparents … everyone BUT “people that
likes tinkering”

(I am sure I made multiple mistakes in the list above, possibly violated
the code of conduct and offended lots of folks – please see my intention)

1 Like

@unman wrote:

Perhaps, when we get to rc1 we could try such a list.

I was thinking to make the list when R4.1 is released and becomes the
“current” release. At that point lots and lots of folks will have
already installed R4.1rcX and have submitted HCL reports.

It shouldn’t take more than a week or two to get the list together.

… and thank you for all the pointers to the ThinkPads.

If 4.1 doesn’t support at least all the same hardware as 4.0, isn’t that clearly a mistake on our part (i.e., the Qubes team) in designating the release “4.1” rather than “5.0”? In other words, per the semantic versioning standard, which we profess to follow in naming our releases, is it not the case that 4.1 must add functionality in a backward-compatible manner?

2 Likes

I meant to say “everyone but people that like to tinker”

Please ignore the list. My intention was to enumerate people more likely
to need the security of Qubes OS, but if you think that thought to the
end that answer is: everyone.

1 Like

Yeah, you are right, never mind. I guess that thought evolved from my current situation.

The spread from devices working out of the box to devices which need self complied kernels with multiple patches (as example) is really huge, thats why i thought devices with “little effort” should be added here too.

Anyway, Sven’s list is a good idea and should be kept and developed to be a starting point for absolute beginners.

There may be issues that relate to the “acceptable performance”
and the “without workarounds” conditions.

For example, packages are sometimes removed from distros, so (e.g) a
NIC that works fine in debian-10 may require an additional package be
installed in debian-11. I assume the same happens in Fedora.
Then there is the question of RAM requirements for 4.1 - I assume it is
the same as for 4.0, at least for basic installs, but that’s an
assumption, not validated as yet.

According to the Intel specs, this processor doesn’t have VT-d, or am I missing something obvious?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/67355/intel-core-i53210m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz-rpga/specifications.html