Share your desktop screen / workspace

Off-topic, expand for detailsYes. The file `~/.config/gtk-4.0/gtk.css` is located inside the user's _home directory_. (The `~` symbol means `/home/user` - assuming the user is called `user`, which is usually the case in AppVMs.)

As such, that file is persistent in AppVMs, and that’s where you need to edit it in order to apply the theme in an AppVM.

More information about which directories are persistent in which types of VMs can be found in this section of the documentation:

Another approach is to place the edited file inside the /etc/skel directory of the templateVM, but that’s a little more advanced and I’ll let you search for it. (Searching for /etc/skel in your favorite search engine should give you a variety of Linux articles to choose from. That’s not a topic specific to Qubes OS.)

1 Like

2 Likes
Offtopic

I completely missed that documentation part, appreciate your help

1 Like

I didn’t know most of these customizations even existed before finding this forum. :laughing:
This is my current end result.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing such helpful tips, Qubes looks and functions so much better for me now!

My current workspace, recreating what happened last Saturday.

3 Likes

Wow, that looks awesome! How did you make a Window’s theme?

He’s running QubesOS inside VirtualBox running on actual Windows :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, Oops. I see now. I feel dumb… :rofl:
Thanks.

1 Like
Offtopic

You can achieve this with KDE by changing corresponding elements and hiding the rest.
The question is: why would you want that :slight_smile:

It’s also possible to achieve this with GNOME, especially the taskbar, by using a popular plugin (forgot the name)

1 Like

What @solene is alluding to can be achieved in a few ways, and has its own thread, which originally spawned from this one, I think? Maybe not! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very good point. :laughing: The ability to do so intrigued me. Linux Is SO customizable.

thanks everyone for bringing customization options to my attention as I have missed that part of docs :sweat_smile: , adding another auto-hiding panel and launchers does help a lot with convenience :smile: , I liked having a context menu (the arrow symbols) for more actions in the same launcher icon

4 Likes

Spend some more time working on my desktop

Got the XFCE/dom0 borders working with custom themes.
Added individual windows customization like opacity with devilspie2
Made a custom launcher for easy keyboard shortcuts (Terminal, Files, etc.)

5 Likes

Hi @renehoj, since two weeks I have tried to get the Nordzy icons into my automated minimal Debian script - unfortunately, without success.

My implementation (tried both system-wide and user-specific):
deb-12-m-base (template)

GTK configuration

/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

include "/usr/share/themes/Nordic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
style "user-font"
{
    font_name="Liberation Sans Regular"
}
widget_class * style "user-font"
gtk-font-name="Liberation Sans Regular 11"
gtk-theme-name="Nordic"
gtk-icon-theme-name="Nordzy"

/etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-font-name=Liberation Sans Regular 11
gtk-theme-name=Nordic
gtk-icon-theme-name=Nordzy
gtk-decoration-layout=menu:
gtk-titlebar-right-click=none
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintslight
gtk-xft-rgba=rgb
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1

/etc/gtk-4.0/settings.ini

[Settings]
gtk-font-name=Liberation Sans Regular 11
gtk-theme-name=Nordic
gtk-icon-theme-name=Nordzy
gtk-decoration-layout=menu:
gtk-titlebar-right-click=none
gtk-enable-event-sounds=0
gtk-enable-input-feedback-sounds=0
gtk-xft-antialias=1
gtk-xft-hinting=1
gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintslight
gtk-xft-rgba=rgb
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=1
  1. Copy the (downloaded, unzipped) Nordzy folder to /tmp/icons
  2. Launch the install.sh script:
qvm-run --pass-io --user root ${tvm} \
    "cd /tmp/icons/${icons} \
       && bash install.sh \
                --color dark \
                --dest /usr/share/icons \
                -g \
                --name  Nordzy \
                --theme orange"

I never got my Nordzy working (in Thunar). Do you have any hint for me? Do I miss a package in my minimal template?

How did you do your Fluent-dark icons implementation?
Just copied all to:

/usr/share/icons/

and afterwards

gtk-update-icon-cache -t /usr/share/icons/Fluent-dark

?

I installed gnome-settings-daemon, and the icons are installed in /usr/share/icons

In /etc/X11/Xsession.d/25xdg-qubes-settings I removed lines that use xsettingsd

I set the icons with gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme "Fluent-dark"

For nautilus to be able to use SVG icons librsvg needs to be installed, might be the same with Thunar

Fixed the XFCE panel, add opacity, round edges, floating with full screen snap working.

Styling of the panel is annoying, I couldn’t change the shadow and margin with css. To get floating snap working, I added a second invisible panel that is sticking to the edge, and full screen windows snap to the invisible panel.

The rounded edges only work on a dark background, if panel shadow is active, else there will be a square shadow at the ends.

Bro wants to see qubes desktops :joy: nice try FBI

2 Likes

Yo that is such a sick slick design, so cool!

1 Like