Seeking volunteer(s) for Qubes website and documentation maintainer roles

These two roles can either be held by different people or by the same person.

Website maintainer

Main responsibilities

• Updating the website when the project needs it
  • Fixing problems with the website
  • Reporting website problems you can’t fix yourself
  • Handling website repo pull requests

Useful skills

• Git
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • JavaScript

Documentation maintainer

Main responsibilities

• Copy editing documentation
  • Updating documentation content
  • Fixing problems with the documentation
  • Reporting documentation problems you can’t fix yourself
  • Handling documentation repo pull requests

Useful skills

• Strong command of English writing (spelling, punctuation, grammar, usage, mechanics, and style)
  • Markdown or reStructuredText (preferably both)
  • Git
  • At least basic subject-matter knowledge about Qubes OS and access to a current-release Qubes OS installation

If you’re interested in one or both roles, please comment below. Also, please ask any questions you have below, and I’ll edit this post to add any pertinent details I forgot to include. Thank you.

5 Likes

I hope this is not a result of recent remarks.

I’m game, if you will work with me during transition period.
I have experience in both areas.

4 Likes

Hi @adw !

Any chance I could DM you about this? (Or use some other channel of your preference that’s a little more private than this thread?)

1 Like

Hi im also interested

2 Likes

@gonzalo-bulnes email is always an option: Team | Qubes OS

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who volunteered. I’ve contacted each volunteer directly, and I expect that the roles will be filled soon.

3 Likes

I briefly considered volunteering for the second job…but then realized my plate is full with other things. I am reminded that I am overdue to contribute something…I’ve tried to be helpful on this forum but I’m still new enough that my knowledge is limited.

Qubes is a Good Thing.

1 Like

I’d like to help with maintaining documentation. I contributed a bit in March this year and if I can help the project with my human capabilities, I’m willing to do it.
By saying capabilities I mean mostly my free time, energy and processing power. I have several docs bookmarked that I’d like to update but it takes time to analyze them on how to update them properly so the updated information is correct.
Apart from qubes-doc we also have the qubes-attachment repository, where updated e.g. installation screenshots might come in handy.

Still I’d like to give it a try. Please tell me everything I need to know beforehand. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you, @aronowski. I believe the roles have already been filled (see above; discussing details privately; public announcement expected soon). However, your continued contributions would be more than welcome. I agree that updated screenshots would be valuable.

3 Likes

@unman is now officially the new Qubes website and documentation maintainer!

As a mini “passing of the torch” ceremony, I opened this PR, in which I moved the documentation and website maintainer roles from myself to @unman on the team page:

@unman then merged this PR and added his own PGP-signed Git tag to the merge commit:

Thank you, @unman!

5 Likes

Congrats! Thanks for your time!

2 Likes

Thank you @adw for your many years of service in this role and thank you @unman for stepping up and taking on yet another task for the good of the project.

4 Likes

Big big thanks @adw all the work until now!

1 Like

Thank you @adw - these are big boots to fill.

Can I ask that you are all gentle with me as I ease in to the role.
Also, as @adw often said, the documentation is a collaborative
effort. It’s a good way in which any one can make a contribution to
Qubes, and make things better for every one. This is particularly
important as we move toward 4.2.

5 Likes

100%. And thank you @unman for stepping up to the “big boots” task (and to everyone else who offered to help).

Personally, I’m interested in making (or help making) some tutorials (or other types of docs) for showing the new GUI stuff.

2 Likes