Ryzen 7000 serie

I tried using WORKING.iso, and the problems I faced earlier were eliminated.

I booted the bios with “other os” and non-CSM so the IGPU would be available. Other than that, the bios have mostly standard settings.

I used the 6.1 kernel option (the one at the bottom of the list), so it would use my IGPU. I added the x2apic=false, and it got up to this screen where it could not start the X server. I assume this is not intended? I understand this is a bare-bones version, and the templates are to be installed afterward, but I still can’t seem to get to that point. Do I use the shell to continue instead of a GUI installer?

I apologize for my inexperience with Qubes, as this is my first time installing or using it. Are there any BIOS settings I should ensure are off or on that I may have missed? I am running mostly defaults. Thanks again for your patience and help!

1 Like

Error related to UEFI / CSM

you can take some screen of your bios configuration regarding thoses parameters

1 Like

My apologies, I didn’t even think to look at the docs again for the new error… I will keep at it see if I can figure it out. I am not using Nvidia, but maybe I can keep trying…

I got it to install! After disabling fast boot, I could get to the graphical installer. Once it was done initial installation, I still had to edit the Qubes grub command with x2apic=false, or it would just stall again and not let me enter my disk password. But I have it installed and booting in UEFI mode so I can use my IGPU on dom0, which was my main objective.

As great as all that is, using the WORKING.iso without any default templates or anything installed on it has me hit a wall because I can’t follow along with the documentation… the template manager is empty. I have nothing to get started with, so I can learn how it works. That wouldn’t really matter if I had some experience with Qubes but I am new to it.

I know I need the kernel to be >= 6.1 for my IGPU, so I can’t use the standard release, correct? Thanks again, everyone for the great help with this.

1 Like

I created this ISO for testing purpose and was intended for dev and experienced QubesOS tester.

Your installation is in a state that cannot be reached in any official iso, aka: I didn’t integrated the last dependencies to finish the install.

What I do on my side for testing: Put the required packages in a USB key and then install them manually.
You could download the required packages from here: Index of /r4.2/current-testing/dom0/fc32/rpm/ and Index of /r4.2/templates-itl-testing/rpm/
You need the latest: “kernel-latest”, “kernel-qubes-vm” and “qubes-template-fedora-37”
Then install them manually. Then create a disposable vm from the newly installed fedora-37 template, and configure Qubes Global Settings.

( This installation should only be for testing. Official (testing) Qubes ISO supporting this hardware are expected to release in some weeks or months )

neo, no worries man… I figured that is what you made that iso for; just nice to know that people like you are working on this so it can be implemented in the future on my platform. I will see how far I can get downloading those packages manually from the dom0… but if I can’t get it going, I will have to be patient! thanks so much for your help, my friend.

Ryzen 7 pro 6850u (thinkpad t16, latest bios) user here… got a similar problem that the installer won’t go past the log entry “Xen is relinquishing VGA console” (shortly after dropping that “AMD processor family 25 is not supported”). Then the log disappears rapidly from top to bottom and the system either reboots or stays up with a black screen, backlight still on.

The problem persists when trying to boot using the working.iso, kindly posted above. I added the x2apic=false to the GRUB lines as instructed. The only difference here being that when using the working.iso, the system always and slightly faster reboots.

I also tried installing using latest and current builds from Index of /qubes/iso/, including adding above mentioned grub lines, with the same result and therefore no success. I have never gotten past the first couple of seconds after choosing the GRUB boot option.

I’m not sure this feedback is of any value, but i will follow this topic closely nonetheless. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting are welcome! Hope there will be further progress with this issue and thanks for the effort.

In the grub options you are sure you selected the one with kernel 6.1 ?

On my side didn’t make progress for the IGPU passthrough and the occasional issues with ethernet/wifi.
Currently I am … testing my gpu passthrough with a lot of cyberpunk :slight_smile:
But after, need to try that AMD iGPU passthrough attempt - #24 by yann , seems interesting. Also need to find a way to dump the ROM of the IGPU and ethernet card.

Some conclusions about the network card of the ASUS x670e strix F.

Wifi card:
It seems that the wifi card is never really offline. And it seems to have an issue in the hardware ( motherboard itself or firmware of the card ? ). Very rarely, the wifi card will stop working (the card enter in a non working state). Rebooting the computer is useless as the wifi card is never offline even when the computer is shutdown. Need to make sure no electricity can reach the motherboard during few seconds. This issue is not related to QubesOS.

Ethernet card:
There is some IOMMU grouping issues on my motherboard. I have WIFI + Ethernet + 1 usb controller + SATA controller + some other things connected to the same PCI bridge. Every elements of this list need to be in the same VM, or else some random issues will appear ( PCI link of the Ethernet card disconnecting, or the WIFI card randomly showing up as a USB device ).

( this motherboard is expensive and is quite shitty. I don’t recommend it. )

1 Like

Hey neo, sad to hear this motherboard is being a pain with qubes. Do you think using a usb-c or usb-a ethernet or wireless adapter might alleviate any of those issues? Instead of using the built-in networking interfaces? Just hope there is a workaround until the built in issues are ironed out.

afaik ASUS can do something about the iommu grouping, it may help to email them about this (and/or see if there’s a thread about it on l1t forum, that community is quite into virtualization)

@crowizz yes it would work.

And yup, reading a lot of things from l1t forum :slight_smile:
& yes, need to contact asus support again

Some progress about igpu passthrough.

Using some recommandation from l1t I extracted the zen4 igpu rom from the motherboard uefi using GitHub - LongSoft/UEFITool: UEFI firmware image viewer and editor .

Zen4 IGPU ROM: https://neowutran.ovh/igpu.bin
sha1sum 1fbac0cbde86cf7dbc9d1aa827263cf8f167c52e

( ethernet card use this specific rom: https://neowutran.ovh/ethernet.bin
sha1sum: ab85435aee2a978c06b1a67da9436a2832576748 )

Then I patched the guest kernel to force loading the gpu firmware from file:

#include <linux/pci.h>
#include <linux/slab.h>
#include <linux/acpi.h>
#include <linux/firmware.h>
/*
 * BIOS.
 */
static bool amdgpu_bios_firmware(struct amdgpu_device *adev)
{
	const struct firmware* vbios_firmware;
	const char* vbios_name = "vbios/renoir.bin";
	const size_t vbios_size = 32 << PAGE_SHIFT;
	int ret;
	DRM_INFO("amdgpu_bios_firmware()\n");
	ret = request_firmware(&vbios_firmware, vbios_name, adev->dev);
	if (ret) {
		DRM_ERROR("failed to load '%s': %d\n", vbios_name, ret);
		return false;
	}

if (!AMD_IS_VALID_VBIOS(vbios_firmware->data)) {
		DRM_ERROR("vbios file '%s' signature incorrect %x %x\n",
			  vbios_name, vbios_firmware->data[0], vbios_firmware->data[1]);
		release_firmware(vbios_firmware);
		return false;
	}

if (vbios_firmware->size > vbios_size) {
		DRM_ERROR("vbios file '%s' size too large, %zu > %zu\n",
			  vbios_name, vbios_firmware->size, vbios_size);
		return false;
	}

adev->bios = kzalloc(vbios_size, GFP_KERNEL);
	if (adev->bios == NULL) {
		DRM_ERROR("no memory to allocate for BIOS\n");
		return false;
	}

adev->bios_size = vbios_size;
	memcpy_fromio(adev->bios, vbios_firmware->data, vbios_firmware->size);
	return true;
}
bool amdgpu_get_bios(struct amdgpu_device *adev)
{
	if (amdgpu_bios_firmware(adev)) {
		dev_info(adev->dev, "Fetched VBIOS from firmware file\n");
		goto success;
	}

Now the IGPU is initialized by the guest. GPU is recognized by system tools. But there is some issues with power management so for the moment the IGPU is unusable.
This kind of error:

[    6.329420] [drm] Fence fallback timer expired on ring comp_1.0.0            
  [    7.339193] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.1.0 (-110).
  [    8.379193] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.2.0 (-110).
  [    9.419196] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.3.0 (-110).
  [   10.459187] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.0.1 (-110).
  [   11.499207] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.1.1 (-110).
  [   12.539183] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.2.1 (-110).
  [   13.579192] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on comp_1.3.1 (-110).
  [   14.089164] [drm] Fence fallback timer expired on ring kiq_2.1.0             
  [   14.619186] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on kiq_2.1.0 (-110).
  [   15.659206] [drm:sdma_v5_2_ring_test_ib [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu: IB test timed out
  [   15.659356] amdgpu 0000:00:07.0: [drm:amdgpu_ib_ring_tests [amdgpu]] *ERROR* IB test failed on sdma0 (-110).
  [   16.169166] [drm] Fence fallback timer expired on ring vcn_dec_0             
  [   16.679412] [drm] Fence fallback timer expired on ring vcn_enc_0.0           
  [   17.189172] [drm] Fence fallback timer expired on ring vcn_enc_0.1           
  [   17.189305] [drm:process_one_work] *ERROR* ib ring test failed (-110).   

neowutran…
I will not pretend I know exactly what you are working on here, but thank you!! I hope you can work out these bugs and have the IGPU and other functions working. Do you work with the team that does releases, or will we just use your fork or whatever when the time comes that you have it working? If you need help or for me to test anything on my system, let me know.

Here is a summary of my system:

Computer:
      Computer Type                                     ACPI x64-based PC

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          16-Core AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, 5500 MHz (55 x 100)
      Motherboard Name                                  Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus WiFi  (1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 M.2, 4 DDR5 DIMM, Audio, Video, 2.5GbE LAN, WiFi)
      Motherboard Chipset                               AMD X670E, AMD K19.6 FCH, AMD K19.6 IMC
      System Memory                                     31894 MB
      DIMM2: A-Data AX5U6000C4016G-B                    16 GB DDR5-4800 DDR5 SDRAM  (42-41-41-77 @ 2403 MHz)  (40-40-40-77 @ 2400 MHz)  (36-36-36-70 @ 2160 MHz)  (32-32-32-62 @ 1920 MHz)  (30-30-30-58 @ 1800 MHz)  (28-28-28-54 @ 1680 MHz)  (26-26-26-50 @ 1560 MHz)  (22-22-22-43 @ 1320 MHz)
      DIMM4: A-Data AX5U6000C4016G-B                    16 GB DDR5-4800 DDR5 SDRAM  (42-41-41-77 @ 2403 MHz)  (40-40-40-77 @ 2400 MHz)  (36-36-36-70 @ 2160 MHz)  (32-32-32-62 @ 1920 MHz)  (30-30-30-58 @ 1800 MHz)  (28-28-28-54 @ 1680 MHz)  (26-26-26-50 @ 1560 MHz)  (22-22-22-43 @ 1320 MHz)
      BIOS Type                                         AMI (11/15/2022)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX  (24560 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX  (24560 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics  (512 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics  (512 MB)
      3D Accelerator                                    AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Navi 31)
      3D Accelerator                                    AMD Raphael
      Monitor                                           Acer Predator XB271H  [27" TN LCD]  (#ASNV2CQi+Hjd)
      Monitor                                           LG 27GN950 (DisplayPort)  [27" LCD]  (204NTMXDU283)

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Standard SATA AHCI Controller
      IDE Controller                                    Standard SATA AHCI Controller
      Storage Controller                                Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
      Storage Controller                                Microsoft VHD Loopback Controller
      Storage Controller                                Standard NVM Express Controller
      Storage Controller                                Standard NVM Express Controller
      Disk Drive                                        HGST HDN726060ALE614  (6 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
      Disk Drive                                        Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB  (2000 GB, PCI-E 4.0 x4)
      Disk Drive                                        WD Blue SN570 1TB  (1000 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
      Disk Drive                                        WD easystore 25FB USB Device

Yes, i did.
No change in behavoir with the 4.1.2-rc1 also, by the way. For this, i sadly gave up on the t16 (though being a fine machine built-wise).

This may not work for you, but it did work for my Ryzen 7 Pro 5875u Thinkpad L14:
I added dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpu_pin to the Xen line and nomodeset to the kernel parameters. clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 instead of the vpcu parameters may also work.

Hi neowutran, I also encountered this issue in my 22.04 ubuntu(kernel 6.0/Xen 5.18 unstable). Can you please provide a more detailed description of what you have done about the rpm spec? Thank you.

Hi @Jiqian, welcome to the forum!

There’s no need to paste an image of the post you want to reply to.

1 Like

Hi @neowutran ,
thanks for your amazing work! I am looking forward to buy a new computer and want to go with the new ryzen series. Can you recommend a mainboard for that? I didn’t find any on the hcl.

Also, I have read all your comments but am still a bit confused. You made qubes running with a 7000er amd cpu and compiled an iso. (I don’t care about a missing installation prozess). Would you say, that it is working stable? You mentioned some remaining issues, but I am not sure what you mean. May you explain it.
And are you in contact with the qubes team to merge this at some point in time?

Hi, some irl stuff taking lot of time, so I didn’t make any progress.

Some important things have been merged already.
If you use the latest official development build (R4.2), you will have thoses issues:

For my specific motherboard:

• Wifi work most of the time. When it stop working, you need to unplug power for few seconds. This issue is not related to xen and not related to Qubes. I need to complain again to have some answer from asus.
  • Ethernet will work time to time. Ethernet seems to not like VM/IOMMU, it will disconnect after some time of use. You need to reboot the computer to fix it.

For specific things:

• I was unable to passthrough the IGPU. It is bug in the amdgpu driver I think.

Overall: It can work, you can make it stable. But it don’t work out of the box, and it is not stable out of the box.

Some things still need to be fixed on Qubes side
Some things still need to be fixed on Xen hypervisor side
Some things still need to be fixed on Asus side

Update: the graphical driver issue was not related to Qubes OS, it was related to recent asus bios that incorrectly handle CPU voltage by default. Manually setting the CPU voltage fix this issue

3 Likes

Thank you for the update. I guess I will wait then. Is it reasonable to assume, that the issue is the am5 support and not the specific cpu? So by the time the 7000 series is supported one can assume that the 9000series is also doing ok?