Ryzen 7000 serie

@Rnd3sB3g13rng Some of the issues I had were specific to the cpu ( frequencies ), some specific to AMD ( the currently remaining issue with x2apic is in fact a multi-years old issue ).

Some update:
Ethernet seems to be stable if you disable ASPM in the bios.

Will confirm in few days

3 Likes

Thanks for that update neowutran. We all appreciate your work on this, irl stuff always gets in the way and I hope everything is going well. Keep up the great work and I am sure you will get it all worked out eventually. Do you have a place you post your ISOs to? Thanks again.

I stopped building my custom ISOs, enough things have been upstreamed to use the system. Now I use the official developpment build of Qubes OS R4.2.
And then I rebuild the xen hypervisor to integrate this patch Improve X2APIC compatibility with modern AMD platform · Issue #8111 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub so I don’t need to configure x2apic on boot command line

1 Like

Hi @neowutran ,
can you please give more info about the CPU voltage settings in bios? Or any other bios changes you made? I’m getting quite lost in all the settings asus has there.

thank you
PS: Just to be sure its the same, the issue I have is that the pc reboots each time after few seconds after I see the cursor on screen. booting with dom0_max_vcpus=1, dom0_vcpus_pin, x2apic=false. HW is ryzen 7950x with asus x670e-pro

not the same consequences ( for me, it was: graphical drivers crash / ui restart in loop right with lightdm start (cursor start the be on screen). No PC reboot), but maybe the same root cause.
I recommand you to try the development build of R4.2.
“dom0_max_vcpus=1, dom0_vcpus_pin” is not needed.

Some screenshot of my bios ( nothing new, already described all of it in previous posts ):

Since Ryzen 7000 serie - #101 by neowutran, didn’t had any wifi nor ethernet issue

Sorry, don’t remember exactly, every tries I did are here: History for xen.spec.in - neowutran/qubes-vmm-xen · GitHub
And I fixed the RPM spec between 21 nov and 22 nov.
But you can also just use the RPM spec of the official qubes repo, it have been upgraded for Xen 4.17

neo, what bios revision are you using? Just curious; with the whole AMD 7000 burnout debacle they have “beta” versions and change them almost daily right now. I am on 1409 because it is stable and working for now and am thinking about waiting until they have it all fully fleshed out.

are you on one of the beta bios?

Yes, I am using the beta bios version 1410, old bios must be avoided.
( Or you could manually set the soc voltage too )

Thx for the settings.

But I do think that the issue seem almost same. Or at least it seems to happen at the same spot. What I found out is that if I disable the Wifi/bluetooth/Lan in bios after installation, I can boot properly. It seems to continue with some part of the installation, as it apparently didnt complete before. I can even enable all the disabled devices and still continue to boot properly. Only that I cant get network to work.

I will try out your settings with a clean install and see how far I get.

I’m also using the new beta bios and nightly build of 4.2.

@neowutran Hm, I can’t continue without the dom0_max_vcpus=1 and dom0_vcpus_pin settings. I get stuck during boot.

With a standard Qubes OS R4.2 ISO/system + amd 7950X + Asus Strix x670E-F, the only thing I need to add in the xen & linux boot command line is x2apic=false ( or x2apic_phys=true)

1 Like

Aaah, theres the problem, I added it only to linux boot command line, not xen. After adding it I get through the nvme issues.

one issue solved :slightly_smiling_face:

And you can you make use of the integrated graphics of the 7950x? So you can run qubes without a gpu? If so, can you tell me something about the performance? From my understanding, qubes does not really make use of the gpu power anyway.

And you can you make use of the integrated graphics of the 7950x?

Yes

So you can run qubes without a gpu?

Yes

If so, can you tell me something about the performance?

I have nothing special to say regarding that. It doesn’t have hardware acceleration.

From my understanding, qubes does not really make use of the gpu power anyway.

With the experimental “sys-gui-gpu”, it could be better, but for the moment I didn’t succeeded the IGPU passthrough. I don’t know anyone who succeeded in passing through a amd igpu.

How do I patch the xen boot option?
I downloaded the qubes4-2.iso and have written in to a usb-stic via dd.
Now I am unable to patch /boot/grub2/grub.cfg because it is write-only.

You can add these options in grub boot menu:

Ahh, thanks you. Actually it wasn’t even necessary. Installation is working fine.
If it works, it works right? Do I need to keep this parameter in mind in some way?

Okay, installation was working fine, but I can’t boot into qubes. After entering my disk encrpytion password the computer shuts down.
so I added the parameter but the system keeps shutting down. Do I need a clean reinstall with the x2apic_phys=true option before the installation?

I was able to install qubes 4.2 with x2apic=false.
I set the options
svm enabled
iommu enabled
smt disabled
Secure Boot disabled

and my mainboard is (msi pro x670-p, bios 7D67v194 2023-05-12)
When I boot into qubes the first time I need to enter the disk enryption password and the for a milisecond a mouse with a blank screen appears and then the computer reboots.
How can I debug this behaviour?

Did you try to boot Qubes with x2apic=false boot parameter in grub?