[qubes-users] Dell Precision 5750

Hi,

I spent some time installing Qubes OS on my Dell Precision 5750 and thought I would share the notes for others and future me.

Summary:

• NVMe drives are not detected in installer (F12 → BIOS → Storage → Disable RAID and switch to AHCI)
  • BIOS must disable secure boot in order to work
  • Do not connect the DisplayLink HP docking stations - they will reliably and abruptly crash the installer and run a bootloop
  • WiFi breaks if you select Debian as the default template VM, Fedora works good
  • Integrated Camera works but is USB based so you must have a sys-usb - forcing you to install on the NVMe driver and not an SSD attached by USB.
  • Audio is broken but can be fixed, instructions logged here (ALSA upgrade is missing packages causing broken audio · Issue #7091 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub). The computer came with a Comet Lake PCH cAVS and works nicely now!
  • GPU - nouveau driver isn’t being super nice but it’s also not crashing the system so that’s good!

Congrats Maestro, would you consider sending a [HCL report](How to use the hardware compatibility list (HCL) | Qubes OS)?

1 Like