Qubes on AMD Ryzen 9 / Zen 3

I’m needing to build quite a fast machine, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X or 5900X.

The rule seems to be don’t try to run Qubes on bleeding edge hardware. But I need to. Anyone have any experience with very recent desktops (could include Intel also).

Also which graphics card is recommended, I’ll be running dual 4K screens, and would like flexibility to go to 3 screens.

You’re ambitious, good :slight_smile:

For recent hardware you will have to play with kernel-latest and maybe install the latest firmware by hand. And sometimes a platform that runs with vanilla Linux has more or less small problems with Xen/Qubes (eg. I’m still blacklisting the 5500M on my 4800H laptop, or Qubes won’t boot – and that’s just a Zen2).

You may be lucky, but be ready to get your hands dirty :wink:

2 Likes

Been seeing if my use case can handle being bumped back a generation, and I’ll offload some work to cloud.

Maybe this configuration (Ryzen 7 5800x). Any hints on motherboard/chipset for AM4 / Zen3 and also graphics cards? This chip doesn’t have integrated so I suppose a bottom end ATI Pro would work?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100 2 GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake H200 TG Snow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-25 19:01 EST-0500

Hi, I am running Qubes 4.0 in an Asus PN50 board. Wireless does not work and the integrated Vega graphics is not fully recognised (in particular no 4K and no second monitor). I’d like to find out whether Qubes 4.1 with newer kernels support this hardware better, as Vega support is supposed to work in kernel 5.6 and up. Can booting into a Qubes installer determine this?

You could try to install Qubes on a USB stick for testing. This will not affect you current OS.

Good point. This indeed works and shows that Qubes 4.1 kernels do support the hardware.

2 Likes

Any chance to upload the HCL report for the Community?

I will post the HCL report once I have it fully tested.