Qubes 4.1 on Legion 5 pro R7 5800H RTX3060

I have legion 5 pro with 5800H and RTX3060. When you get to grub menu hit e edit and change line with xen like picture F10 to boot. I managed to install it.

You have to add the same params after install

1 Like

Thanks for replying!

What iso are you using? And any particular bios settings? Like are you using discrete mode for the graphics card?

Using this ISO https://qubes.notset.fr/iso/Qubes-20210814-x86_64.iso but the one you suggested worked well too. I wanted to have latest kernel, but that was probably only for the installer, my qubes have 5.10.54. In BIOS turn off secure boot. Graphics mode doesnt matter, try “dynamic” option.

1 Like

I managed to boot to the installer using beta1 (with your suggested options). I did have to use dynamic graphics, otherwise the installer wouldn’t boot.

Meanwhile after installation I can’t boot qubes, even using the same settings. Did you have any special settings at boot once installed?

Maybe the kernel version actually makes a difference?

1 Like

Some qubes wont start immediately, network vm and firewall had timeout when mounting /rw. But after starting them from manager it worked. I guess this could be related to beta. You have to add options to grub config in dom0 to boot it after install if you dont want to change them every boot. Now i dont have cable connection and cannot install WiFi driver GitHub - lwfinger/rtw89: Driver for Realtek 8852AE, an 802.11ax device which i hoped will be in kernel 5.13. One downside to this legion is that it has USB keyboard. Its preventing me from having USB qube.

1 Like

I was able to install Qubes without any modifications using Qubes-20210814-kernel-latest-x86_64.iso 14-Aug-2021 05:54 5795479552

The most recent releases of Qubes OS are here: Index of /qubes/iso/

But I was unable to start OS though.
I know, there are some newer builds, but since 4.1 Qubes installs before HW checks and it takes the hell more time to test. Moreover, it does not update during installation like linuxes generally do. And that could help a little.

So, I’ve decided to install Kubuntu 20.04.2 LTS to try. It was interesting because I’ve got two errors that may explain the problem.

First try The latest stable build of Kubuntu did not start.
Error1: AMD-Vi - IOMMU
Error2: certificate X.509

Second try The same installer, but with update in the installer.
Error: certificate X.509

System did not boot. I tried [recovery mode] and the system started with the same
Error: certificate X.509

So, after logged to the system in recovery mode I started updater and there was endless list of updates, including kernel-firmware, and my laptop now works almost perfectly.

The only issue that it does not go to sleep with display closed, I have to choose the option from menu and only then I close it. Not a huge problem to activate sleep through menu, but you should know this.

The most working OS for 5800H is Fedora. People report that it installs without any issues. But I prefer Debian, and today I fell in love with KDE :grin: It’s so amazing that I want to leave my laptop and will install Qubes after it goes stable with 5800H support.

PS: I dream of having KDE as default in Qubes setup. It looks professional and runs almost perfectly (had to tune it for 4K display).

In order to boot installed qubes os you have to edit the grub config and add the same params as for the installer dom0_max_cpu…Different distros have live usbs which you can try before installing. My two choices if qubes fails were fedora or arch Linux. Arch could run xen in latest version. Qubes works for me now, but i will see more when i import my work qube and try it for daliy work.

1 Like

So, I decided to try to install Qubes once again using official Beta
Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.iso 11-Jul-2021 01:07 5485101056
It was installed without any issues. After installation I entered dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin parameters in grub and booted.

The default Qubes and templates were chosen, then installation continued.
I saw that templates were installed, then it wrote something like “configuring system”…
and rebooted to empty grub command line. I see nothing except grub>

This time it seems like unrelated to AMD issue.

Was that necessary to be able to boot (after install)?

Right, see UEFI troubleshooting | Qubes OS

Yes, it is the only way to boot after install.

After some research it seems that my system rebooted without finishing installation. So, I do not think that troubleshooting guide could help me.

I reinstalled Qubes and after Template installation, Executing qubes configuration and while Setting up networking my system rebooted again.

This time it booted to installer once again, but without templates being enabled.
obscura1629940175978
After trying to install once more I got error.

Then login page was shown.

It seems to work, but I did not test it enough.

I read that booting to grub command line could be due to fail to unmount flash drive during installation in some linuxes. So, maybe I could try some other flash drive.

The same happened to me (P14s AMD G2), some times it hang up at “network configuration” instead of a reboot, so I thought its related to the wifi problems I have. But every time the installer started again and looked as shown on your picture and also showing this error. Anyway, qubes seems to work … at least I couldnt find any issues related to this.

1 Like

When I installed I did not select create default qubes. And did not use USB qube sinice it would lock me from USB keyboard.

But when starting qubes(sometimes manually) and trying to do meaningful(update and compile WiFi driver) things i got often rcu_sched errors. I tried to add flags like idle=mnowait since that was somewhere recommended for this problem.

You can install all default qubes except sys-usb. I had the same problem on Desktop and used USB keyboard with USB to PS/2 adapter. Of course, it is not an option when you have a laptop.

Just in case you did not find the way how to use sys-usb with LUKS, read this.

Sounds like a pain. The best way to deal with all Qubes WiFi troubles is to use LAN to WiFi setup, if your laptop has LAN output. You can try your old router in bridge mode for this.

I used USB WiFi dongle attached to sys-net. With every update there is a risk that you will not have internet access, so
update Qubes OS only on Fridays
this way you will have time to repair it.

There are three reasons why USB dongle fails:

1. sys-net or sys-usb is not using Fedora template;
  2. sys-net and sys-usb do not use the same kernel version;
  3. a bug in new kernel, try to use the older one in VM options.

I hope this will help someone.

If someone will find this topic to install Qubes on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro 15.6 with 4K OLED display, then you should know that Xfce desktop environment does not support such displays.

The only option for you is to install KDE. As of Augest 2021, Qubes 4.1 does not fully support KDE and you should use those workarounds.

What do you mean? 4K? I just changed resolution (to FHD) because I was not happy with result on UHD with dpi-correction and stuff. So KDE is worth trying?

As I wrote earlier, I could not install Qubes, so I tried Kubuntu. I did not use KDE for around 10 years and was amazed how good the UX is.

The best result was using scaling option (and rebooting the OS). Everything looked just fine (except x buttons on windows), but my FHD display was looking too zoomed. Then I logged using Wayland and the second display looked just perfect, but programs were blurred. The problem with Wayland is that programs should be modified to support it. Firefox works nice, but LibreOffice looks blurred and nothing you can do about that.

I switched back to X and scaled it again. I decided that every time I attach FHD display I can change the scaling option.

So, yes, KDE worked acceptable with my UHD on Ubuntu. I am confident that KDE is the only way to go for QubesOS.

Have you or anyone been able to build 4.1 with xen 4.15?

I just got the 2021 Asus G14 (r9 5900hs + 3060) and I’ve tried everything in this thread to get the installer to boot on this machine with no luck. When I keep the vga console, I see that I’m getting CPU#X stuck for X seconds shortly after the Releasing VGA console message from Xen.

Does anyone have suggestions besides the dom0_max_vcpus=1 or i915.force_probe=* to try out on this machine? I’ve tried both OCT 2 alpha builds and the beta build, but have had no luck with either.

Did you try to use latest Qubes ISO build with kernel-latest from here?
https://qubes.notset.fr/iso/
Posted in wrong tab.

I am facing the same issue with Legion 7 gen 6 (5900hx and 3080). I’ve tried all of these suggestions and the furthest I get is the CPU stuck for X seconds. I’ve been using the latest Qubes builds from https://qubes.notset.fr/iso/ for the past couple weeks with no luck.

I, also, have a laptop with 5900hx (Vega APU) and NV 3080 in an Asus Studiobook ProArt, running Qubes 4.1 on kernel 6.2. Booted with vanilla Debian 11.7, it suspends and resumes fine.

It suspends apparently OK (slow blinking LED) but fails to resume from suspend (black screen, unresponsive, must power-cycle). I have nouveau blacklisted, although I probably should load it just long enough to power down the 3080 first. I have already added “mem_sleep_default=deep” to the boot line, and “dom0_max_cpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin” to the Xen startup line, with no success. Regular Debian 11.7 resume fails, too, when started in Xen mode.

I suspect that the amdgpu kernel module might be at fault, but find no docs on how to evict it from the dom0 kernel before suspend. There is lots about listing modules to evict from other VMs’ kernels before suspension, but not from dom0. Clue?