Qubes 4.1.0-beta1 Available

R4.1-Beta1 installed on Thinkpad L390 (i5 8th gen) works out of the box… except suspend/resume (same problem). Wifi, Sound, mic and integrated camera is working fine…

1 Like

Does i3 wm work on qubes 4.1?

running i3-gaps from contrib repo with picom and polybar without any trouble so far.

I do not see any video at the link.

Is there a secret handshake you need to know to download it? I tried the ftp and onion over the past few weeks and my downloads always get cut at around 1.5GB.

Yes, after it starts downloading you should type the following sequence:
Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

I’m kidding, the link should work fine. Maybe the problem is on your end? Are you inside a VM? maybe you don’t have enough storage so the download stops when the disk is full

I have 85% storage left. I tried though tor and firefox, appvm, through multiple 4.04 installations.

On an unrelated issue, just installed whonix 16 today, removed 15 and now dom0 updates don’t work. I tried an in place update to 4.1 and get messages related to “Unable to detect release version (use ‘–releasever’ to specify release version”. This error also applies to downloading whonix-15 or any other templates again.

Same here.. I’ve temporarily gone back to whonix-15-gw for sys-whonix.

2 Likes

I think if you are on 4.1, it would say:
No Match for argument qubes-dist-upgrade
Nothing to download

If you didn’t follow additional steps, it would show what you printed:
No match for argument: qubes-dist-upgrade
Error: Unable to find a match: qubes-dist-upgrad

Deeplow mentioned you need to enter:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-dist-upgrade
sudo qubes-dist-upgrade --help

Help lists several options, one being:
sudo qubes-dist-upgrade --all

Were you not able to download the 4.1b iso like me?

I had no issues downloading and installing 4.1beta iso.

I found out I can download the iso from a different OS but 4.04 cancels the download at around 1.5GB. I don’t understand it.

You can try using curl and curl -C - to resume transfers.

Most likely you are out of disk space. The standard allocation for private storage is 2048MB. Try increasing this to 4096 for that qube and download again.

4G is not enough, the 4.1beta ISO is 5.2G.

It is really a big pitfall. I hope creating a new AppVM and resizing the private volume will be part of the install instructions.

That sounds like it. I encountered the disk space error while trying to copy over the iso downloaded from another os.

Yes risizing qube space can appear disconnected when you resize the qube above the underlying template. I used the qvm-volume tool to resized the cube to the appropriate size >10GB but I kept on getting the same insufficient disk space error. Then I realized I shouldn’t have used the qvm-volume tool but instead the underlying template needed to be increased, which explains the concept behind the max size being greyed -out.

What filepath are you downloading the ISO file to?

I tried from both tor and firefox qubes. They were both set to the standard 2048MiB private / 10240MiB system. They were saved to the /home/user/Download directory. Only about 2GB free space was available.

It was confusing because I increased the private to 9GB and I kept on getting the same 3.5GB needed error.

Since /home/user/Download is on the private volume, you have to increase the size of the AppVM’s private volume (such as by going into that qube’s settings), not the template’s root volume.

Before you try downloading again, I recommend running df -h and make sure it says the device mounted at /rw (which contains the home folder) has at least 6G available.

1 Like