Qubes 4.1.0-beta1 Available

Quoting here @marmarek from the qubes-devel mailing list as it can be of relevance. Find the signed post on the mailing list archive.

4 Likes

@deeplow @marmarekā€¦I am running 4.1 Alpha and dom0 is fully updated as of 7-11-2021

Is there an advantage to doing a complete reinstall and qube restore?

or is my current install the same ?

NOTE: I am on Fedora 33, not moved to Fedora 34 yet

Not necessary itā€™s same, and fedora 34 it isnā€™t officially release, you can try upgrading if you want. I use fedora 34 as default.

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-dist-upgrade
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Fedora 32 - x86_64 - Updates                    384 kB/s |  30 MB     01:19    
Fedora 32 - x86_64                              548 kB/s |  70 MB     02:11    
Qubes Dom0 Repository (updates)                 193 kB/s | 1.1 MB     00:05    
Qubes Dom0 Repository (updates-testing)          71 kB/s | 740 kB     00:10    
determining the fastest mirror (15 hosts).. done.--  B/s |   0  B     --:-- ETA
Qubes Templates repository                      652  B/s | 2.8 kB     00:04    
No match for argument: qubes-dist-upgrade
Error: Unable to find a match: qubes-dist-upgrade

not sure what i did wrong.

did i mispell cubes?

wont update

Last metadata expiration check: 4:50:40 ago on Sun Jul 11 03:54:34 2021.
No match for argument: qubes-dist-upgrade
Error: Unable to find a match: qubes-dist-upgrade

qubes is the only thing in life i like right now and i cant even get it to work

[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dist-upgrade --help
sudo: qubes-dist-upgrade: command not found

The situation is, you already in qubes 4.1
qubes-dist-upgrade is for upgrading which mean only work under 4.1 version :wink:

1 Like

I did it! I upgraded to 4.1 I guess!? (I think)

But how do I get out of alpha then?

Testing this now on quite recent Tiger Lake -based DELL laptop. Everything else seems to be working so far except suspend (which wonā€™t work because of some lacking Xen support or smth).

I wonder is it possible to update to proper release version once it comes alive? Or is reinstall required?

Just updating, in dom0 and templates.

2 Likes

The beta installation image is, of course, also available from our
onion site:
http://iso.qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/

3 Likes

https://ftp.qubes-os.org/iso/Qubes-R4.1.0-beta1-x86_64.torrent

No seeders. Stuck at 82%

I switched from 4.0.4 to 4.1.0-beta1, with the new-install-and-backup/restore process. I chose Debian as main template and dvm-based sys-{net,firewall}.

After some settings, now all works except minor cases. Thanks for all the work done by the Qubes-OS team! :heart:

The minor cases:

• fedora-34 template update: salt error when updating from the tray-bar update (and so also from qubectl/salt cli), but works from Qubes Manager / update. The salt update works for debian and whonix. Iā€™ll explore this in the next days, and create an issue if itā€™s a real problem.
  • Debian Disposable VM doesnā€™t work. The debian-10-dvm works for my sys-* but not for disp-{1234}. Maybe a mistake in my restore process, Iā€™ll fix this in the next days.
  • my old webcam no more detected

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Debian Disposable VM works for sys-* but not for disp-{1234}

I installed a signed 4.1 weekly and it seems I am already on current!?
Do I need to do anything to stay up to date or is everything fine?

Keep updating.
If you are using the beta, then there may be some advantage in
enabling the testing repositories. The pace of development is fast.

Am I using the Beta? I donā€™t know. The signed weekly was the only version that installed successfully, so that is what I went with.

@adw wrote that one should not use testing unless they are a tester. I really only want a system that is stable, supports my hardware (lol) and receives security updates.

Yes, you are on beta, otherwise you would have had to add kernel-parameters to install :wink:

R4.1-Beta on X1 Carbon Gen 9 (Tiger Lake) works out of the box, beside little visual glitches (kernel 5.4.67 doesnt have them),(resume from suspend leads to reboot/black screen (with spinning fans). sound works (not mic) with additional config.
Maybe qubes-dom0-update/sys-whonix is not fully functional regarding search/list, but had no time to dig deeper yet.

Do you mean you got suspend/resume working with some additional config? I thought this is not possible on Tiger Lake. If you did, please share.

Sorry, only sound. resume (from suspend) always ends with reboot or black screen with spinning fan(s)