Q4.1 install from scratch (official iso file) fails

Not sure, if this already is in discussion on the Qubes GitHub pages:

After 4.1rc2.iso was out, I’ve tried to install it and the complete procedure failed on the last step (install of the main qubes // settings whats disposable, what’s not…).
First thing is the setting of the inital settings page. This is what I (maybe all other too) get during a 4.1rc1 install:

And this is, what the very same setting page look like for the 4.1rc2 installation:

Means, you can’t choose the templates (Debian, Fedora, Whonix) because the fields were grayed out and they even aren’t checked like it would be on a 4.1rc1 installation. The drop-down of the ‘Default Template’ is untouchable (grayed out).

This is the visual effect. And if you ignore the Template checkboxes and move on with the other stuff (checking disposables and if a sys-usb is needed), which works fine - the creating of the rest of the qubes failed with a message box “to try it again with a ‘sudo qubesctl --all state.highstate’ on the dom0 terminal after first login”…

Is this already a known bug? If not, you may have to create a new .iso file or removing the current for some time from the download servers.

Cheers Steffen

I have already tested 4.1rc2, and everything looks good (haven’t try use debian 10 as default template, and downloading template with whonix as describe here).

Are you trying to rerun initial setup or this happen in first time boot?
What configuration you use in installation {keyboard layout, custom storage}?
Have you check journalctl ? journalctl -u qubesd.service

okay thank you, then it should be an issue with my model. Have a Lenovo P50 (i7 6. Gen) with PS/2 Keyboard. Unfortunately didn’t take a further look into it. Did a clean reinstall on 4.1rc1 & updated to rc2 and all was working fine.

Will test it again on my second m.2 and check the output of your suggested command then…

1 Like

I have the exact same problem with both the old 4.1 and new 4.2.
All the template options are grayed out during installation. If I proceed further I have only dom0 and no vm/templates.

I have an HP Pavilion x360 convertible.

Someone was able to resolve the issue? I’m going mad

Hi Gianmo95

Just to be sure:

You’ve just done at fresh install of Qubes OS 4.2 and after the reboot, during the INITIAL SETUP, you can’t select any templates to install?

If you just quit the INITIAL SETUP, you should have working dom0, that can boot and run … just without any qubes – is that correct?

If so, I can try to do a bit of debugging later … and see if I can come up with anything (I have a test-machine, that simply fails to run the INITIAL SETUP without manual editing anaconda-ks.cfg / initial-setup-ks.cfg).

If you quit the INITIAL SETUP, can you try:

ls -al /var/lib/qubes/template-packages/

in a dom0 terminal?

:slight_smile:

This is the situation I have in the initial setup (the phase past the reboot):

If I quit the initial setup I have only dom0, that is correct.

The command you gave me gives back this output:

This is the first time I have this kind of problem. On the same machine, in the past, I installed qubes multiple times with no issues at all.

Thank you and sorry for the broken english.

Update:
I have the exact same situation with another machine. Tried switching the usb drive for the installation. Tried also flashing the ISO both with Rufus (dd mode) and dd command in linux environment.
At this point, I’m starting to think that the ISO itself is flawed.

Hi Gianmo95

Looks strange, that the /var/lib/qubes/templates-packages/ is empty – it should be where the INITIAL SETUP find the available templates to install … so when that folder is empty, it can explain why the INITIAL SETUP can’t install any templates … the next question is then why the … that folder is empty :-/

If possible, try to download the ISO file again, verify the the file and see if that resolves the missing files.

FTR: My own tests failed in different ways – but after a few attempts, I was able to

1. download the Fedora 39 templates (qvm-template download fedora-39-xfce in a running Qubes 4.1 installation) and copy it to a second USB-stick
  2. install a fresh Qubes OS 4.2 and stop the installation in the INITIAL SETUP
  3. Open an Xfce4-terminal (Alt-F2 and run xfce4-terminal)
  4. mount the second USB-stick (pmount sda1)
  5. copy the updates template to /var/lib/qubes/template-packages (cp /media/sda1/qubes-template-fedora-39-xfce-0_4.2.0-202311171322.rpm /var/lib/qubes/template-packages/qubes-template-fedora-39-xfce-4.2.0-202312171103.noarch.rpm)
  6. Run the INITIAL SETUP from the dom0terminal (/usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical) and complete the initial setup - with Fedora 39 as the default template.

1 Like

How was the boot media created?

I ran into problems like this using Ventoy. Qubes 4.1 worked fine, Qubes 4.2 failed in a couple different ways, and I recall seeing a similar situation to what you’re describing here.

The main problem is that I don’t have any machine with qubes working.
I’m really surprised that there isn’t any consistent documentation about this issue.

Tryed both: rufus in dd mode and the dd command in a linux environment.
I also used two different usb drives just in case, and never got the installation right.
It’s sad because in the past I used qubes a lot (since the 2.0 release) and I really liked it, and also felt very secure and safe.

You should be able to find eg. the Fedora rpm in:

https://yum.qubes-os.org/r4.2/templates-itl/rpm/

– if you want to download the rpm and put it on a USB-stick to test.

Note. This is a hack and doesn’t explain why the installer didn’t add the rpm … :-/

Unfortunately I’m not even able to connect the usb drive, since I don’t have any usb qube.
Today I tried again to switch usb drive, change the usb port for the installation, and flashing the iso with dd, balenaetcher and rufus.
I also tried to switch to another machine (total machines I tried with: 3), and the result it’s always the same:
No templates in the additional software section (pre-reboot phase)

No templates/whonix not available and greyed out in the post-boot phase

And this error in the conclusive moment of the installation

Lastly I tried to download the last .iso file I used 2 years ago that, in 2022, worked flawlessly: exact same result.

At this point, I’m starting to think that I should simply drop the idea to install qubes and step back to Tails. It’s the first time that I have an issue like this and no one is able to resolve.

Thank you all for your help.