Purism 14 Audio crackling

My setup includes external music boxes (Librem 14 → my radio → external boxes), because I can’t stand the Librem 14’s audio (no hate, that is to be expected with laptops…). My radio is OK, that’s not the source of the problem.

My audio has no issues when using internal speakers, but when I plug in the radio music port and switch the output mode (setting “PulseAudio Volume Control” → “Output Devices” → “Port” to “Headphones (unplugged)”), it produces pretty loud cracks.
I guess, this is not a pure hardware problem, because the cracks mostly happen when audio playback gets started and stopped, not that often in between.

This is really concerning to me because the cracks are really loud and disturbing. I am somewhat forced to consume continuous audio output… :slight_smile:
Suggestions on how to fix that are much appreciated.

EDIT: It seems to also crack when starting / stopping VMs. This makes me wonder whether that is a problem of PulseAudio somehow not being able to cope with input changes or something…?

1 Like

did you compare it to a live linux? maybe: https://forums.puri.sm/

2 Likes

I tried two live USB sticks, the audio output was not recognized…

I guess I’ll ask the purism guys, that seems more appropriate, thanks.

1 Like

I had a similar issue and disabling power saving for PulseAudio (in dom0) worked for me.

Comment out the following in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

# load-module module-suspend-on-idle

Restart PulseAudio (by killing it; should restart automatically):

pulseaudio --kill
5 Likes

I would suggest updating PureBoot/SeaBIOS/Coreboot, EC firmware

2 Likes

and installing librem-ec-acpi-dkms

(Couldn’t post more than 2 links in 1 post)

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what the Purism guys recommended to me.

It did not fix it all the way, but the cracks are much more silent now. They are that silent that they are not even a real problem to me anymore.

Already had to do this a few weeks back to fix my battery manager. But thanks anyways.

Tried that, since then I had no cracks…

Thanks!

Great! :slightly_smiling_face: