Problems with Qubes Onion

I’ve been watching Qubes site in the onion domain go down, along with the repository, for 3 days now. Do I understand correctly that if the onion repository is lying unnoticed for 3 days, it may not be safe to use? I mean duplicate updates.

I would be happy to let you know when I notice problems with the repository if you tell me where to do it, I use it regularly, but if it’s accompanied by a lag in updates then there’s probably nothing I can do to help.

I naively thought that if I posted an advisory here in the Forum, and to
the mailing lists, and added a note on GitHub, that people would be
aware of the issue.
Obviously I was wrong.

It’s an interesting insight in to how people use the search tools provided
here and on GitHub.

On the “lag in updates” issue, the Onion site is a mirror. Like every
mirror it syncs to the source on a schedule, and there will always be
some delay between files being added to the Qubes repo and them appearing
on the onion. (I don’t know what the current sync is, but it’s less than
the standard 4 hours.)

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I am encouraged to continue using the Qubes onion repository. Can you tell me where to write about the onion mirror not working?

I also have a question, why forum.qubes-os.org did not work for me when I did forum.qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztnltltfxqrymdad.onion although the usual onion site worked fine, I thought that maybe it was a problem with the level 2 domain, but with Whonix as I understand it works

1 Like

Are version 2 .onion addresses supposed to be working on Qubes 4.2?

They are fundamentally insecure and should not work anywhere, Qubes or
no.

Onion addresses v2 support was dropped from Tor in July 2021 V2 Onion Services Deprecation | Tor Project | Support

1 Like

@unman
Is there any estimation on when this issue with onion mirror will be fixed?
I’m not getting updates for two weeks since it’s a pain to switch all my templates from onion to clearnet repos but if it’s uncertain how much time it’ll take to be fixed I’ll have to do it.