Problem attaching Atheros USB WiFi to sys-net in Qubes 4.03

Hi, I am currently trying to attach my Atheros USB WiFi adapter for Qubes OS, I can see it is connected to dom0 but not sys-net. I can’t see any option to attach it as a USB to sys-net in the dropdown menu (as in the device doesn’t show). I also can’t attach it as PCI otherwise I will lose my keyboard and mouse functionality because they are connected to the same PCI device, I also don’t use sys-usb as from what I understand you can only use it if you don’t use a USB keyboard (which is what I use).

Crossposting from reddit

1 Like

First you might want to confirm that the Fedora or Debian Template has drivers to support your specific USB WiFi device.

For example, in the Debian Template you may need a nonfree atheros driver.

Secondly, due to your hardware setup, you may benefit from the option during your Qubes OS installation to:

Use sys-net qube for both networking and USB devices.

Use sys-net qube for both networking and USB devices: You should select this option if you rely on a USB device for network access, such as a USB modem or a USB Wi-Fi adapter.

A quick fix can be to open Qube Manager -> sys-usb -> Settings -> Services, add network-manager, confirm with OK.

Reboot sys-usb.

2 Likes

Hey JustGeorge,

just for your information.

The Alfa Network Adapter works without any issues with an sys-usb qube. Just assign the Network device to sys-net. My sys-net uses fedora as templateVM. Worked out of the box.

Second. Of course you can use an usb keyboard with sys-usb. It is kind of weakening security but i guess that always depends on the situation. ( e.g. spoofed bad usb devices)

Here is a way to use an usb keyboard for login.

As i have a laptop, i configured it the way with a popup everytime i plugin a device.
For me thats ok.

Maybe it helps :slight_smile: