Parrot security and Ubuntu Focal templates

Thanks a lot for this explanation, which makes it a lot clearer to me!

With the Parrot template, the problem then seems to be that it somehow does not use this caching, which is a bit awkward, since it is debian-based. Or how else could it get that confused on update?

Well parrot will not even update from “qubes update”. I see the qubes update pop-up by the icons. I go to the “qubes update” widget, click it and it states parrot. I click next the uodate states. It finshes with a green cherxhmark BUT when reading what updated it states…
FAILED and a list of why it failed. something along the lines that “no OS” or to that matter. and qubes uodate keeps poping up now stating parrot update. and it wont update, same problem.

Kali is doing the same thing parrot is with the http//HTTPS// errors when trying to update

I updated my Parrot template manually, using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade from a terminal. After that, the updater just showed that it had nothing more to update.

1 Like

So there is obviously something wrong with the Qubes update mechanism
applying to these testing based templates.
Thank you for the feedback.
I’ll take a look in the morning.

1 Like

So I built new templates overnight, and after (minimal) testing, they
seem fine.
We are uploading them now.
I’ve removed the apt-cacher-ng configuration, so if you use
apt-cacher-ng you will have to reinstate it

Hmm, pull back on Parrot - Debian-11 and Kali look fine, and update by
salt.
Parrot throws a salt error despite using the core Debian-11 prepared
template - I’ll have to inspect that more carefully, ands wont upload
that tonight.
Another job for the morning.

thanks unmann, looking forward to the updates. I am also finished learning on my test build of Qubes-OS and then will install new SSD’s to do my final build/remiage. So your updated templates you did will be a great addition to my final build of qubes…
You see I did a test build of qubes-os, to learn, understand the layouts,how things work together, install of apps in appVM’s. Yeah I broke a few things along the way but I expected too.
looking forward to the templates my friend

I have uploaded fresh templates for Bullseye and Kali - both seem to
work fine. Reports welcome.

The Parrot template is a puzzle - Some salt calls are fine - I can
configure, run commands, copy files. But updates fail, for reasons not
as yet clear to me. Manual updates work as expected.
I’ll look at this again tomorrow.

I downloaded the focal and bullseye templates, and both could be installed without problems. Bullseye can be updated via the Qube manager update icon, but focal complains about a missing libapt-pkg5.0 - it has installed libapt-pkg6.0. Manual update for focal works.

I won’t be able to test till this weekend and I will let everyone know.
What do you guys mean by “bulleyes”? Do you mean the “kali” template?

Bullseye is Debian-11, currently the testing branch of Debian.
Both Kali and Parrot are built off Debian testing.

Thank you. I will look at this.

The issue with parrot updates is a Salt problem - I have raised an issue with
Salt, and put in a PR there.
Until that filters through you can fix the problem yourself:
In the Parrot template edit
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/grains/core.py.
Go to line 1599 - “Kali”: “Debian”,
and ADD a line "Parrot": "Debian",
Then save the cached versions of the file:
rm __pycache__\core.*

That should fix the problem.

thanks umann, I’ll get at it this weekend

I have a question unmann.
Is it possible for me to have both Debian-10 & Debian-11 templates installed and be able to use both? Or do I have to chose one over the other template to install and use?

For some time, I had both templates in parallel, without problems.

ok, thanks

Arch has always teneded to be a headache at times

So I go to update/upgrade the “Arch template” unman has built and did the -Syu and I guess my question is do or does anyone keep the repo/rpm up to date?
Because I either have to “ignoreapp” cus as usual Arch won’t update/upgrade.
The app now in question is …XFCE 4.1.6 + settings.

Again thank you unman for your time and effort in making these templates. As for the other templates they are working and running just awesome. Can update/upgrade, all apps run… no issues seen on my end. It just this Arch

Hello unman,
thank you very much for your work!

I have some questions regarding parrot-pwn-4.0.6 for R4.1:

1. Whats the proper way to update the template? Updating a fresh parrot template with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade breaks the domU for me. Qubes cannot connect to the qrexec handler and shuts down the domU automatically.
/var/log/qubes/qrexec.appvm.log

domain dead
2022-04-12 10:33:41.826 qrexec-daemon[34818]: qrexec-daemon.c:340:init: cannot connect to qrexec agent: No such process
/var/log/xen/console/guest-appvm.log

[2022-04-12 10:33:35] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (50s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:35] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (50s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:36] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (51s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:36] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (50s / 1min 30s)
[2022-04-12 10:33:37] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (51s / 1min 30s)
[2022-04-12 10:33:37] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (51s / 1min 30s)
[2022-04-12 10:33:38] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (53s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:38] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (53s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:39] (2 of 2) A start job is running for…twork uplink wait (54s / no limit)
[2022-04-12 10:33:39] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (53s / 1min 30s)
[2022-04-12 10:33:40] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (54s / 1min 30s)
[2022-04-12 10:33:40] (1 of 2) A start job is running for…/net/devices/eth0 (54s / 1min 30s)

The newer qubes-template-parrot-pwn-4.0.6-202203261043.norach.rpm solved this issue for me.

1. Can i also upgrade the template to parrot 5.0? With apt-get full-upgrade? Or would a apt-get upgrade suffice?

With apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade I got to 5.0 without problems.

1 Like

Yes. The only thing to watch is that you aren’t removing any core Qubes
components - using hold and unhold, as explained here will help.

I’m in process of uploading new templates, including Parrot - should be
there in the next few days.

2 Likes